New to caravaning

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi. I have just bought my first caravan Lunar ultra lite. Now I have bought it knowing that is incomplete hence the ask for advise.
There is no heating no hot water ( only 230v to sink) but nothing in the bathroom and no shower. Also water pump was removed alongside with 3 way fridge( this one was replaced with standard 230v compressor fridge.
Now my question would be what cost effective replacement I can put in as to water heating/shower, fridge, heating(diesel maybe??)
Help and advice would be highly appreciated

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I have just bought my first caravan Lunar ultra lite. Now I have bought it knowing that is incomplete hence the ask for advise.
There is no heating no hot water ( only 230v to sink) but nothing in the bathroom and no shower. Also water pump was removed alongside with 3 way fridge( this one was replaced with standard 230v compressor fridge.
Now my question would be what cost effective replacement I can put in as to water heating/shower, fridge, heating(diesel maybe??)
Welcome to the forum - it would help to know where/how you intend to use the caravan - if it will always be on a pitch with mains electric hookup it'll be more straight-forward than if you want to use pitches without mains electric.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum sorry i cannot help but someone will give you the help you require , so keep posting.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
Hi. That's the thing. I would like both going on mains but also to have na option to. Go off grid for short periods only. Main question would be 12 v or gas. So fridge 2 or 3 way. Water Heater electric or gas and if so which one there is soo many and gas generally cheaper but safe?? If electric water heater 230v would power converter do the job? Again if electric what battery what solar panel kit how many watts would be sufficient to power up lights, fridge and water heater. As to heating was thinking about diesel ones... It's just soooo many options these days

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi. That's the thing. I would like both going on mains but also to have na option to. Go off grid for short periods only. Main question would be 12 v or gas. So fridge 2 or 3 way. Water Heater electric or gas and if so which one there is soo many and gas generally cheaper but safe?? If electric water heater 230v would power converter do the job? Again if electric what battery what solar panel kit how many watts would be sufficient to power up lights, fridge and water heater. As to heating was thinking about diesel ones... It's just soooo many options these days
If you are referring to an inverter, the battery will be flattened in no time if used for heating or even running a compressor fridge. A new 3 way fridge will set you back about £800. Whichever way you look at it and even using second hand parts, it is not going to be cheap fix.

It seems that the 240v and 12v wiring is going to be one of your main issues and you need to be competent with electrics to get it right.

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
If you are referring to an inverter, the battery will be flattened in no time if used for heating or even running a compressor fridge. A new 3 way fridge will set you back about £800. Whichever way you look at it and even using second hand parts, it is not going to be cheap fix.

It seems that the 240v and 12v wiring is going to be one of your main issues and you need to be competent with electrics to get it right.
Sorry inverter I meant and wiring won't be an issue. It's just what to choose and don't bankrupt. Are these

Ferroli Pegaso Eco 6 LPG Gas Water Heater​

Any good?

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site

Sorry inverter I meant and wiring won't be an issue. It's just what to choose and don't bankrupt. Are these

Ferroli Pegaso Eco 6 LPG Gas Water Heater​

Any good

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a big job. I have never heard of the heater you mention but the ones fitted are normally by Truma or Whale. They may include a room heater as well and work of mains and gas or both at once but at the age of your caravan you may need one f each. Possibly the best bet is to try dismantlers, SFM is possibly the biggest, but unless you get the same model as the original it might need some work on the electrics, gas and plumbing. The pump will normally just plug in to one on the side wall and drop in the water carrier. The original for you would probably be a Truma .
I would google caravan manuals and see if you can find one to see what was fitted originally. These are usually for the whole Lunar range and you simply want the year.
If you can find what fridge was originally fitted you can find a second hand one to fit and save money.
I would try and get the manual though before going further.
There is a lot of work involved so good luck.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you may have underestimated the issues with attempting to refit a caravan using what are essentially domestic appliances.

I'm wondering whey the original caravan appliances have been removed?

One of the issues will be weight. Domestic appliances generally do not have to be concerned with how much they weigh, whereas becasue of the limited load weights that caravans have, appliances designed for caravans are lighter than their domestic counterparts.

When it comes to heating appliances, if you want to be able to caravan without mains supply, then you need to understand that a caravan battery at best might have about 1kWh of energy, so you cannot run 230V ac mains heating appliances from a battery it simply wont run for very long. Realistically the only way of heating a caravan off grid is using Gas.

Gas appliances for caravans have to be at least 70% efficient, many approach 90% or better, which is great. But you need to know there are statutory regulations about fitting gas appliances into caravans. Specifically regarding the water heater you have suggested, I have not been able to establish if it is approved for touring caravan usage, and I suspect it is not.

There are additional safety reasons why it's important to check approvals, for example, only room sealed appliance's are allowed other wise there is vastly increased of asphyxiation if the wrong type of appliance is fitted. Appliances for static caravans are not suitable of touring caravans becasue of the movement and vibrations that occur with towing can damage parts.

Diesel heating is possible, but do be aware they do produce noise unlike a gas convector heater.

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
I think you may have underestimated the issues with attempting to refit a caravan using what are essentially domestic appliances.

I'm wondering whey the original caravan appliances have been removed?

One of the issues will be weight. Domestic appliances generally do not have to be concerned with how much they weigh, whereas becasue of the limited load weights that caravans have, appliances designed for caravans are lighter than their domestic counterparts.

When it comes to heating appliances, if you want to be able to caravan without mains supply, then you need to understand that a caravan battery at best might have about 1kWh of energy, so you cannot run 230V ac mains heating appliances from a battery it simply wont run for very long. Realistically the only way of heating a caravan off grid is using Gas.

Gas appliances for caravans have to be at least 70% efficient, many approach 90% or better, which is great. But you need to know there are statutory regulations about fitting gas appliances into caravans. Specifically regarding the water heater you have suggested, I have not been able to establish if it is approved for touring caravan usage, and I suspect it is not.

There are additional safety reasons why it's important to check approvals, for example, only room sealed appliance's are allowed other wise there is vastly increased of asphyxiation if the wrong type of appliance is fitted. Appliances for static caravans are not suitable of touring caravans becasue of the movement and vibrations that occur with towing can damage parts.

Diesel heating is possible, but do be aware they do produce noise unlike a gas convector heater.
It looks like someone removed them and sell them as parts. This caravan for short period of time was used as contingency when new buildings was getting w toilet revamp.
Yor are right most of the gas heaters available are for static caravans. What would be the ideal KW for electric 230v water heater then to serve taps and shower or I should by shower separately?

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
It is a Lunar caravan and they went into administration and closed done about 3 years ago so no help there. However there may be a Lunar Owners Club who may be able to help. Not sure if there is a group on FB?
Thank you. I have some sort of manuals and I think some manuals for appliances that were removed. Will start from here.
It looks like someone removed them and sell them as parts. This caravan for short period of time was used as contingency when new buildings was getting w toilet revamp.
Yor are right most of the gas heaters available are for static caravans. What would be the ideal KW for electric 230v water heater then to serve taps and shower or I should by shower separately?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would not try any appliances not made for caravans unless you have good technical knowledge to safely fit them, the weight is similar to the proper ones made for caravans. If you are not prepared to to fit the real thing, my feeling is you would be better to cut your losses and sell what looks like little more than the shell. Lunar tended to be tight on weight allowances, particularly that model range, so anything different could be a problem.
From the questions you ask I not feel you may not have the knowledge needed for a very large and difficult task. Sorry but the dangers are simply not worth trying this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts