New tow car (used)

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new here and relatively new to towing. We have a kensington compass 4 berth caravan, we are using a 2011 audi a4 to tow, it tows fine although the clutch is on its way out and is a little greedy on the fuel.
So we need a new used car to tow, we have been looking at the volvo s60, v60 and v70 we want a diesel engine and possibly an automatic gearbox. Just wanted to see what people's options are of these cars and the gearbox as well, we've always had manual cars but have read that an automatic cars are better for towing. Thanks all

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm new here and relatively new to towing. We have a kensington compass 4 berth caravan, we are using a 2011 audi a4 to tow, it tows fine although the clutch is on its way out and is a little greedy on the fuel.
So we need a new used car to tow, we have been looking at the volvo s60, v60 and v70 we want a diesel engine and possibly an automatic gearbox. Just wanted to see what people's options are of these cars and the gearbox as well, we've always had manual cars but have read that an automatic cars are better for towing. Thanks all
Had a 2010 XC70 for three years it had the D5 Diesel engine and Aisin torque converter gearbox. Didn’t give any problems and was very comfortable. We took it to Warsaw one year.

Reactions: GT83
Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I`ve had a V60 diesel (D4, 190 bhp, auto) for 12 months now (an ex demo Volvo car, so nearly 2 years old. I had BMW 520D M-sport Tourings for the last 10 years so wasn`t sure how it would stack up, especially with the BMW having self-levelling suspension at the rear.

Biggest surprise was the stability, despite the `normal` rear suspension I`ve found the Volvo to inspire more confidence and produce a more relaxed tow. the auto box is just as they say in the road tests - hesitant at low speeds (it took me several weeks of lighting-up the tyres at junctions when you put your foot down to set off and little happens so you give it a bit more boot to `hurry up` and you get wheelspin). The engine is a little `grumbly` when accelerating but settles down nicely at a cruise, the sat-nav is utterly, utterly garbage and shouldn`t be allowed on a new-ish car, the touchscreen is a pain in the behind and the voice control is a joke.
Fortunately, it`s a company car as I couldn`t afford to run it, (£500+ a year tax) as it`s at least 15% worse on fuel than the 5-series which is a bigger car. I`m lucky to get 25mpg towing 1500kgs, messing about in town is 28-33 mpg with mid-40`s possible on a run if you show restraint.

Nice car, but if I was looking to buy something I would be looking at something a little more economical.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
May I ask why a Volvo ? Long term reliability, fully spec’d , brilliant tugs , you’ d be hard pushed to better the Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe. Quality cars consistently at the top end of the JD power survey. Check them out.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We were looking at the XC70 a few years ago, it seemed very nice until my wife drove it, she has her seat very upright and found that the head rest was pushing her head forward, we asked how you adjusted it, and the salesman said it was non adjustable, so we walkeed away from the sale.
Are all Volvo headrests non adjustable.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most of the Volvos I have been in had front fixed head restraints as part of the WPS. My 2010 XC70 had fixed head restraints. My wife being not very tall hated its driving position and in three years never drove it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GT83, as Dusty Dog states have a look at the SantaFe and Sorentoes, very reliable and great tow cars Autos are limited to 2000kg tow limit, and are just on the 2000 kg keb weight.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I tow 1500kg with a V70 D3 auto, only135bhp but plenty of power to do the job. One of the best tow cars I have had which includes two 4x4’s as this is a comfortable tourer which eats the miles.

I get 36 mpg solo mixed and 52 on a long run. But only 24 towing.

I would recommend.

We don't find the fixed head rests a problem and the Aisin auto box applies the power smoothly. £125 tax, and I think much less on later models.

Every so often I look at options to update it. Even if I put 10 thousand to it, I still can't better it by much.

John

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
We bought a used Mercedes E220 d Estate last December. The most amazing car I've ever had, remarkably economical and incredibly comfortable. We got just short of 33mpg towing our 1300kg caravan (Swift Challenger 480) at the week end and have had over 64mpg solo without trying on a long run.

PS. The head rests are adjustable.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We bought a used Mercedes E220 d Estate last December. The most amazing car I've ever had, remarkably economical and incredibly comfortable. We got just short of 33mpg towing our 1300kg caravan (Swift Challenger 480) at the week end and have had over 64mpg solo without trying on a long run.

PS. The head rests are adjustable.

Sounds great, an E class was on my list when I bought the V70. Great car, but initially more expensive.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I tow 1500kg with a V70 D3 auto, only135bhp but plenty of power to do the job. One of the best tow cars I have had which includes two 4x4’s as this is a comfortable tourer which eats the miles.

I get 36 mpg solo mixed and 52 on a long run. But only 24 towing.

I would recommend.

We don't find the fixed head rests a problem and the Aisin auto box applies the power smoothly. £125 tax, and I think much less on later models.

Every so often I look at options to update it. Even if I put 10 thousand to it, I still can't better it by much.

John

That really does show quite clearly that it isn't necessary to have "mega' power to tow a decent sized caravan. Good low down torque combined with a nice gearbox can do the job perfectly. I had a Mondeo estate TDDI 1.8 litre diesel which towed 1350 kg very well, and that engine was only rated at 89BHP. The following Disco and Sorento were in the same power bracket as yours and yet no one could criticise their ability to tow. Sometimes I feel people are easily led to the bigger is better door.

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
May I ask why a Volvo ? Long term reliability, fully spec’d , brilliant tugs , you’ d be hard pushed to better the Kia Sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe. Quality cars consistently at the top end of the JD power survey. Check them out.
I've had 2 volvos previously and really liked them, never used 1 to tow though, my husband found them easier to fix compared to the audi and bmw, also price has a lot to do with it, the price of used cars is a joke at the minute.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts