New Toyota electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Toyota have announced the all new Toyota bZ4X electric SUV. The Toyota bZ4X is set to hit key international markets around the middle of 2022. Measuring 4690mm in length and 1860mm in width, the Toyota bZ4X is slightly larger than the combustion-engined Rav4, and the electric car is said to have a spacious interior with D-segment rivalling practicality.

Toyota has announced both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants of the bZ4X, and former offers a claimed cruising range of around 500km on the WLTC cycle, and the latter is good for around 460km. Boasting a system output of 150kW, the FWD model sprints from 0-100km/h in 8.4 seconds, while the 160kW AWD variant (featuring 80kW motors on each axle) does its dash in 7.7 seconds.

An interesting feature in the new Toyota bZ4X is the drive-by-wire ‘yoke’ steering wheel, which has no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and wheels. This will apparently be an option in some of the high-end versions, in certain markets.

Toyota says it is aiming to launch 15 fully electric vehicles by 2025, but unlike many other carmakers, which are planning to go all-electric by the end of the decade or soon thereafter, Toyota is taking a more cautious approach to electrification. In fact it is believed that in 2030, fully-electric vehicles will account for just 25 percent of the company’s ‘electrified’ vehicle sales, which means that hybrid will still be the dominant power train source.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Toyota are well behind the field by inisting that their non plug in hybrid is the way to go-and are now seeing the error of their ways-at the very least by them being plug in-as long as owners do charge up the car will run short journeys on electricity and long ones on dino juice-imo at the mo the perfect solution to eco motoring and good for the engine too-ice vehicles don't like short journeys-and of course the heavy batteries might well make for good tow cars too-just need that fossil fuel engine to be up to the job-the perfect stop gap till batteries and the charge network get better and prices come down?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Toyota are well behind the field by inisting that their non plug in hybrid is the way to go-and are now seeing the error of their ways-at the very least by them being plug in-as long as owners do charge up the car will run short journeys on electricity and long ones on dino juice-imo at the mo the perfect solution to eco motoring and good for the engine too-ice vehicles don't like short journeys-and of course the heavy batteries might well make for good tow cars too-just need that fossil fuel engine to be up to the job-the perfect stop gap till batteries and the charge network get better and prices come down?

My daughter has a self charging Corolla on order for delivery (fingers crossed) by end of January. Quite looking forwards to driving it. It can do around 7 miles on battery if full charged at town speeds, but how you ensure the battery is fully charged when you park up at night is not that clear!!!!. Toyota have had PHEV Prius since 2012 so it is a surprise that they do seem to be behind the dash for electric, given their production of "electrified" cars for longer than the competitors. However, when petrol emissions were to be cleaned up Toyota designed the lean burn engines which offered good performance compared to catalytic convertors. So Im not writing them off yet (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The length and width is ok of this new Toyota bz4x electric car just depends what the height is getting in sometimes i have problems from my wheelchair :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The length and width is ok of this new Toyota bz4x electric car just depends what the height is getting in sometimes i have problems from my wheelchair :)
It is a SUV so should suit many people with issues. It may even tempt us as getting in and out of the Corolla is a bit of an issue for me at times.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Toyota have announced the all new Toyota bZ4X electric SUV. The Toyota bZ4X is set to hit key international markets around the middle of 2022. Measuring 4690mm in length and 1860mm in width, the Toyota bZ4X is slightly larger than the combustion-engined Rav4, and the electric car is said to have a spacious interior with D-segment rivalling practicality.

Toyota has announced both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive variants of the bZ4X, and former offers a claimed cruising range of around 500km on the WLTC cycle, and the latter is good for around 460km. Boasting a system output of 150kW, the FWD model sprints from 0-100km/h in 8.4 seconds, while the 160kW AWD variant (featuring 80kW motors on each axle) does its dash in 7.7 seconds.

An interesting feature in the new Toyota bZ4X is the drive-by-wire ‘yoke’ steering wheel, which has no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and wheels. This will apparently be an option in some of the high-end versions, in certain markets.

Toyota says it is aiming to launch 15 fully electric vehicles by 2025, but unlike many other carmakers, which are planning to go all-electric by the end of the decade or soon thereafter, Toyota is taking a more cautious approach to electrification. In fact it is believed that in 2030, fully-electric vehicles will account for just 25 percent of the company’s ‘electrified’ vehicle sales, which means that hybrid will still be the dominant power train source.
What's the battery performance like in low temperatures,how long does it take to recharge battery after a journey.
What does "WLTC" mean. - are we running out of space ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What's the battery performance like in low temperatures,how long does it take to recharge battery after a journey.
What does "WLTC" mean. - are we running out of space ?
I suspect the battery performance in low temperatures will be on a par with other marques. Why should it be any different? Recently I posted a reply with a link to Kia and Hyundai use if heat pumps which will aid low temperature performance. Perhaps Toyota have something similar.
Charging times will be announced IDC but what’s your concern? I hardly think Toyota are not going to be competitive on charging times.

https://www.evehicletechnology.com/news/new-heat-pump-technology-to-improve-ev-efficiency/

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The idea that the ICE will go by 2030 is not true, it is just a few countries that are involved. Many countries will still be allowing them well beyond that, so Toyota certainly will have plenty of opportunity to sell them. They may be looking at companies saying they will have given up selling them and seen the market for the ICE with the reduced competition.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Here’s a write up on the new Toyota. It’s a very strange marketing name. Bz4x not something that easily drops into the conversation at the pub.

PS Hertz to buy 100000 Tesla 3 models. Might go and hire one for a test drive on a special occasion next year.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyot...45323A67941E303D88285A4046ED&utm_medium=email
Thanks. Yep name is a mouthful. Very short range of under 300 miles and then to charge it to 80% takes 30 minutes. If going off road as it is an SUV the range will reduce even more.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. Yep name is a mouthful. Very short range of under 300 miles and then to charge it to 80% takes 30 minutes. If going off road as it is an SUV the range will reduce even more.
This one will not go far off road, but the Subaru alternative with its two motors and higher clearance will have more capability. But it may kill Subaru sales in the US and Oz where charging points in the boonies are few and far between. I’m on some of the forums and those guys really do go away for days. But eh oh it’s a changing world.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This one will not go far off road, but the Subaru alternative with its two motors and higher clearance will have more capability. But it may kill Subaru sales in the US and Oz where charging points in the boonies are few and far between. I’m on some of the forums and those guys really do go away for days. But eh oh it’s a changing world.
I belong to the SA 4x4 community and these guys go away for a couple of weeks at a time bundu bashing and living off the land. Definitely no charging points for hundreds of miles so an EV will go down like a lead balloon. Most of Africa will continue to use fossil fuel for then next century unless another substitute for energy is found.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It is a SUV so should suit many people with issues. It may even tempt us as getting in and out of the Corolla is a bit of an issue for me at times.
Well before my present car i tried out ten cars they did not suit me it depends on the width, height, and length is important my car is a perfect fit for my drive :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Despite the fact that the Chinese car industry has more experience of building EVs than any other country, there's still a big negative image to overcome before they can sell cars in volume in Europe - it's taken the Korean car industry long enough to shake off the "cheap and nasty" image, indeed only Hyundai and Kia have, with Ssangyong struggling and Daewoo/Chevrolet withdrawn.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think when you see what they're making Roger they'll have no problem-don't forget Volvo and Polestar are both now Chinese owned-can't see anyone complaining about them!?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think when you see what they're making Roger they'll have no problem-don't forget Volvo and Polestar are both now Chinese owned-can't see anyone complaining about them!?
MG have made steady inroads and I’ve not heard any problems and their electric offering seems to have been well received. I recall HK stuff being thought of as rubbish but my Halina camera scotched that one. I changed my Matchless 650 cc for a Yamaha 350cc. Faster and more reliable. So I think once the Chinese car makers feel exporting to Europe will be profitable I think things could change rapidly.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's all about public perception - in most people's eyes Volvo/Polestar are still Swedish never mind the fact that some are built in China - just as Toyota are still Japanese and Citroen still French despite their joint venture models being built in Czech Republic.

Despite it's British origin, MG is struggling to establish itself as a volume brand in Europe simply because it's Chinese - its sales have increased but from a very low base.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
It's all about public perception - in most people's eyes Volvo/Polestar are still Swedish never mind the fact that some are built in China - just as Toyota are still Japanese and Citroen still French despite their joint venture models being built in Czech Republic.

Despite it's British origin, MG is struggling to establish itself as a volume brand in Europe simply because it's Chinese - its sales have increased but from a very low base.
Nephew has a Volvo he said it was German made, his next car will be the XC90.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a never ending dilemma, We want low cost cars, and manufacturers want to make big profits. The solution is find the cheapest way to make the car. One of the biggest costs car makers face are wages, so its ever likely low cost cars will be assembled or manufactured in places with low earnings.

But if those low earners can't assemble consistently, then either the process is mechanised to deskill the job, or it might be moved to a location where there is better control of teh process, even if teh wages bill is slightly higher.

Many main stream producers are now finding that Chinese manufacturing is no longer the poor relation to long established production locations.

I always remember a technical director who had worked in the automotive industry, and related a tale about a specification. The item was submitted to a Chinese manufacturer for a sample batch to be produced. When the batch of thousand subassemblies arrived there was a supplementary box. The box contained four units that were marked faulty, and had signs of being deliberately damaged. The main box contained 996 identical fully working units. Puzzled by this the Director contacted the Chinese manufacture, and it transpired that the order had requested a thousand units with no more than a 0.4% failure rate, so that's exactly what the producer had made!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts