New tyres on drive - and jacking

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean “ take out the bounce”? When I lift with the Alko side lift Jack I always use a 2 tonne trolley with its head just alongside the Alko lift brackets. But it’s only there as a steady just in case the Alko were to slip. So as I’m jacking up the Alko I very gently follow it with the trolley Jack but don’t even use its extension handle.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What do you mean “ take out the bounce”? When I lift with the Alko side lift Jack I always use a 2 tonne trolley with its head just alongside the Alko lift brackets. But it’s only there as a steady just in case the Alko were to slip. So as I’m jacking up the Alko I very gently follow it with the trolley Jack but don’t even use its extension handle.

This is also suggested on the Kojack site. It is not to do with jacking but steadying. This is why I wrote, “The brackets can also be used for levelling and steadying on site”.

On pitching the vast majority of the load should be on the wheels as most of us are aware. But as there is some movement or bounce in the suspension and the tyres. After pitching and levelling, I will use support, in my case cheap scissor jacks, beneath the movers. With Kojack fitted their jacking points could be used instead. Whickever is easier to get at in my opinion.

I know most don’t find any need to do this.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is also suggested on the Kojack site. It is not to do with jacking but steadying. This is why I wrote, “The brackets can also be used for levelling and steadying on site”.

On pitching the vast majority of the load should be on the wheels as most of us are aware. But as there is some movement or bounce in the suspension and the tyres. After pitching and levelling, I will use support, in my case cheap scissor jacks, beneath the movers. With Kojack fitted their jacking points could be used instead. Whickever is easier to get at in my opinion.

I know most don’t find any need to do this.

John
Thanks I get what you mean now. 👍. It’s getting towards “ jacks are us”. 😂

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Twelve years ago I wrote to Bailey and Al-ko challenging them to raise the Wyoming with the side Jack. Impossible. No response! The best Jack ,and I have bought a used one ,is the OEM supplied with the MK 1 Kia Sorento. Robust , three tier hydraulic bottle Jack , no signs of leakage. Whilst the Kojack brackets are good their Chinese jacks failed me. My advice to all caravanners is buy a used Kia Sorento unit including the handle .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Twelve years ago I wrote to Bailey and Al-ko challenging them to raise the Wyoming with the side Jack. Impossible. No response! The best Jack ,and I have bought a used one ,is the OEM supplied with the MK 1 Kia Sorento. Robust , three tier hydraulic bottle Jack , no signs of leakage. Whilst the Kojack brackets are good their Chinese jacks failed me. My advice to all caravanners is buy a used Kia Sorento unit including the handle .
Totally agree my Sorento was really easy to Jack fir when I wanted to rotate the tyres around. When I bought a Pajero that too had a three stage hydraulic jack. But if off roading the Hilift came with us. Now they can be a white knuckle experience 😀

PS edit one make recommended to me were SGS for jacks and axle stands. They are a recognised UK company although much of their kit may be made in China, but that is probably true of many others too. But at least they are based here.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks both of the above, there is nothing on their web site to say. I don’t want to store it as bits in the car.

John
If you do get one I would suggest carrying a peice of wood as the footprint of the jack is quite small. Have a look at the second hand Sorento jacks as Dusty dog sugg.ests

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you do get one I would suggest carrying a peice of wood as the footprint of the jack is quite small. Have a look at the second hand Sorento jacks as Dusty dog sugg.ests

The new ones look quite different to yours Hutch. I always carry blocks, and already have a 3 ton bottle Jack.

But thanks for the thought.

1619516545776.jpeg
John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just received a reply to my email to Kojack.

Hello,
Thank you for your email.
I have attached a picture of the box the jack comes in. It comes inside a box within a box, but does not include any bags for storage, etc
Hope this helps.

I guess that the box within the box is also cardboard.

A bit disappointing that they have not considered storage for the customer, particularly as there are loose parts.

I have ordered one and will find something to put it in, but nevertheless, poor show.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts