Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The caravan service engineer that I used last year, mentioned that the tyres were 5 years old and had reach an age when they should be replaced. I intend to have new tyres fitted, but was wondering, do you simply drive the caravan into the local tyre fitters? I know there is an issue with the torque settings and having the wheelnuts checked after some miles.
I do not intend trying to skimp on to cheap tyres, I really want peace of mind.

Norman

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You have several choices, all best done with some internet searching as tyre fitter may need to order in the tyres.
I take my caravan wheels off every winter to rest the suspension so it's an easy job to source replacements and just take the wheels/tyres in the car boot to get them changed.
You could use a mobile fitter, like Event tyres, not necessarily more expensive than going to the depot.
If you do go to the tyre depot, make sure it's got room for you to manoeuvre !!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whoever you get to change the tyres, make sure they balance the wheels!
A lot of tyre places will tell you it is not necessary, it IS necessary.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Whoever you get to change the tyres, make sure they balance the wheels!
A lot of tyre places will tell you it is not necessary, it IS necessary.
Good point - absolutely right too.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We replaced our caravan wheels today after phoning a local tyre fitter who, although he didn't have the same make as the ones that were on there from new, did have Hankook tyres, so we had them fitted and balanced. They were not old neither - November 2011.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Norman,
checking wheel nut torque after fitting and then again after 30-40 miles is always advised, especialy since a lot of tyre depots set their guns to breakout at a common setting, that is why I tend to take the wheels to the depot for fitting and balancing and then refit them myself. If you use a mobile fitter and he does removal and refitting you can then retorque your wheels yourself. If you take the van to the depot just ask them to let you torque up the wheels on final fitting they cannot reasonably object.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Just one point, if you're buying new tyres, make sure they are reasonably new ones. We were let down recently, when e-tyres sub-contracted the fitting of two new Maxmiler tyres we had ordered, to another mobile tyre firm. When ordering the tyres with e-tyres, I had made the point that I didn't want old tyres and was assured that they had them in stock and they would be new ones. When the sub-contracted firm arrived, the date on the tyres showed they were 3 YEARS old and I refused them on the spot.
We ended up taking the wheels off the caravan and taking them to a local tyre firm, who fitted new Hankook tyres, which had a date on them of November 2011 and they also balanced them.They were just pence more than the price e-tyres quoted, too.
We went to e-tyres because we had recently read good reports on the forum, but after this happening to us, we will never use them again and will use our local tyre firm instead.
So before anyone fits tyres on your caravan - make a point of personally checking the date on them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts