Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
We're new, just purchased a new caravan, after lots of delays (not our fault!!!), we are eventually collecting it on Saturday.
We have a holiday planned in France (originally planned in may so was expecting lots of practice before main holiday!), what's the best advice you can give us??!!!! Thank you in anticipation

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome, congrats on your purchase ! We have only been caravanning for a year so still newbies and have not ventured outside of the UK yet but the best advise I can give is relax and enjoy!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Welcome to the PC Forum.
Just make sure that the dealer goes through everything when you pick the van up, including opening and closing the doors on the outside storage places - a button on the battery box on ours was faulty and they replaced it before we drove away.
If you have an arrow-head shaped ariel, remember that the pointy bit of the arrow head always points to the BACK of the van whenever you tow.
Many of our forum members have towed on the continent and will give you any advice you need. The most important thing is to have insurance cover for towing on the continent. The Caravan Club Red Pennant insurance is recommended by many people, but I'm sure someone will advise on that :) .
Enjoy your new van and many years of happy and safe caravanning to you. :)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Whato and welcome to the forum.

As far as travel out of the UK, I'm certainly not one for giving advice :silly: .

Is the caravan you are collecting new or used? What make and model have you plumped for?

Not that it should make any difference. Take as long as YOU need for the handover and NOT as long as the person conducting it wants to spend. Go over the entire outside and check for any damage. Check all the lockers are working as they should do.
Go over the entire inside and ensure you are happy with the fit, finish and standard.
Check that EVERY appliance is working as it should be. This means everything, all lights, oven, fridge on all settings, hot water, heating, the toilet. You get the idea.
DO NOT accept any excuses and do not be afraid to reject the van there and then if it isn't exactly as you think it should be. Do not be rushed. I would also suggest that before Sunday you get in touch with the dealer, even if it is a brand new van and ask them to have a damp report ready for when you collect as well. If the van is second hand do check all the paperwork properly and thoroughly as if you were buying a second hand car. Ensure that everything matches up as it should do.

Making the assumption that all is well with collection remember the most important thing is to enjoy your van and all your trips away in her :cheer: .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would video the handover if possible as you will never remember everything and have a shakedown weekend before you go to France to make sure you have all you need and I would check out u tube for videos on hitching and siting the caravan and anything else you want to check out.
If you have any problems just ask.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello. Welcome to caravanning and to the forum. Lots of good advice on here already. Just remember you are caravanning for Fun, relaxation and enjoyment, and if it doesn't feel like that just pause, smile and slow down, preferably with a cup of tea ok other beverage. Makes all the difference.
Mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Wow, welcome to the forum we haven't ventured to the continent [dont fancy frogs legs or snails :lol: ]
But take my hat off to you, good luck and enjoy

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Just to point out two things that have cropped up over the last couple of weeks and one relates a previous poster on here regarding the side locker locks.. The locker where your electric hook up goes can be a bit of an issue ,manufacturers dont seem to allow enough in the cut out at the bottom where you site cable into locker. Now if this is so with your van be aware as if it is tight closing the locker it maybe somewhat of an issue to open it again .
Secondly while I was trying to sort out a problem with our van I found on another site there was a problem over the toilet chemicals the issue was the holing tank or toilet cassette.put in 2ltrs of water followed by your chemicals . This was quite an argument on the site I wont mention . Not knowing you van Im guessing you will want about 70 ml of the blue . JUst thought I would mention those two things as Ive ever come across it on here before . So Enjoy your van and enjoy your holidays .
Sir Roger.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts