newbe wave from Nottingham and doggie related gripe.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
having just baught a caravan due to deciding to stop bunging my doggies (who are very well behaved) in kennels every time I need a break.

I've discovered a steep learning curve.

Firstly EBay Caravan sales discriptions by sellers although "valid", "can" be mis-leading...to say a caravan "has heat,light,shower,fridge and cooker fitted" dosn't mean they work, personally I was dissapointed at the description for my purchase but at least the "no rot" element was true.

Anyhow, having spent some quality time with sympathetic local dealers and breakers and a week off work I finally have a working caravan.(I've been very impressed generally with local advice and assistance for my lo-budget soire into caravanning.)

Only to discover the key sites I was interested in using for my adventures despite being described as "dog friendly" on a number of sites state on the phone "one small dog"...

I had assumed that caravaners and sites would understand the element of camping and "back to a bit of nature" and also dog ownership, but so far have been really dissapointed. being based in the midlands, and my basis for buying a van being to share holidays with the doggies any advice on genuine doggie friendly caravan sites or a reliable website for such would be great.

In the mean time advice on which clubs are appropriate to register with for events and sites would be appreciated.

Andy.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum, sorry to learn about your caravan buying experience and hope that everything is ok now.

There are many dog owners who use this forum and they will be able to offer sound advice.

You don't mention in your post the breed of dogs or how many come with you.

Caravanning can broadly be described as a dog friendly pursuit but as in all walks of life there are rules.

Many sites for whatever reason will not allow certain breeds of dog onto their sites no matter how well behaved they may be.

Responsible dog owners will know that the dogs are not the problem but the owners but sites have an absolute right to decide who is allowed to stay and the only answer is to spend your money in places which are true to their word regarding dogs.

Both the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club are reasonably 'dog friendly' but as I mentioned there are rules.

Smaller sites such as the CC's certified locations and the C&CC's certified sites offer what could possibly be described as a more 'back to nature' experience at a reasonable price.

There is a dog related debate in progress in the general section of this forum at the moment and if you add a post with your points of view in the general section I've no doubt that our knowledgeable and friendly dog owning members will answer and advise.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum, sorry to learn about your caravan buying experience and hope that everything is ok now.

There are many dog owners who use this forum and they will be able to offer sound advice.

You don't mention in your post the breed of dogs or how many come with you.

Caravanning can broadly be described as a dog friendly pursuit but as in all walks of life there are rules.

Many sites for whatever reason will not allow certain breeds of dog onto their sites no matter how well behaved they may be.

Responsible dog owners will know that the dogs are not the problem but the owners but sites have an absolute right to decide who is allowed to stay and the only answer is to spend your money in places which are true to their word regarding dogs.

Both the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club are reasonably 'dog friendly' but as I mentioned there are rules.

Smaller sites such as the CC's certified locations and the C&CC's certified sites offer what could possibly be described as a more 'back to nature' experience at a reasonable price.

There is a dog related debate in progress in the general section of this forum at the moment and if you add a post with your points of view in the general section I've no doubt that our knowledgeable and friendly dog owning members will answer and advise.
thanks for that, I've already started reading up on others experiences and dog friendly sites, we have two Rough collies, (lassie dogs to some) they are quite old and we are 100% on picking up any mess and keeping them under control. Thankfully apart from our awning (yet to be tested) everything else on the van in up and running (its a burstner). So we're off to whitby in a couple of weeks, will let you all know how we found our first caravanning experience. I am considering joining up with the C&CC opposed to the CC. My reasons are bascially involved with "rumor and hear say" and one bad experience at a very well laid out CC site down south (near poole) when I camped as a student (Challet tent) and felt decidedly snubbed by expensive caravan owners when an issue arrose about the adjoing pitch. (where the couple there complained to the management of the site our tent guy ropes were a tripping hazard. Perhaps a little knee jerk reaction but the C&CC has had better feedback through my general queries.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy

You would be better to post your comments in the 'Reply to Topic' box rather than the 'Comments' to receive more answers.

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice over posting!

We've had our first holiday, a week on the north yorkshire coast, the awning had to come down as the weather got a bit silly, but the caravan didn't leak and the wind and rain outside actually became quite relaxing..

I loved it, really cozy and nice sitting out looking at the stars, the site which is next to a big caravan site on the north side of whitby was quiet, has basic facilities (showers and loos) over looking the sea..

A few noob adventures, I couldn't quite manage reversing back up a single carrageway lane when I over shot the entrance to the site, ( I took far too much fumbling about to reverse), and we needed a tractor to pull us up a hill. (clutch said no in my xantia) (was very steep entrance to the site) really glad i took the advice to empty water from onboard tanks and get a bulldog stabilizer...worked great! Pre departure I adjusted the nose weight for the recomended 80 Kg and it towed perfectly. (burstner Lux)

Our site was Only 2 miles outside whitby and great walk with or without doggies into town, bonus being the whitby bus services let dogs on for free on the return trips. (

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Andy...... I admire your 'steady as you go' approach to caravaning.

Shame about your tow car's clutch.....a caravan on the back will soon find any weak spots!

Happy caravaning.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, we have one dog at the moment but did have 3. We've had more problems with a child than a dog with more and more CLs and CSs becoming adult only, never a problem when I was a baby and child, but then caravaning has changed in the last 37 years and in many ways not for the better. Still don't get me started on a rant because it'll necer stop! Like too many CLs/Css with EHU etc....

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy, like you I got into caravanning because of my dog. It's the best thing I've ever done. I have a border collie and joined the CC to take advantage of CL's. I try to find a working farm with plenty of room, have a word with the owner on arrival about the dog's training/behaviour and for the last 7 times I've been away the dog has not been on the lead on site. Farmers tend to know a well trained border will not worry animals or other guests.

Others will no doubt disagree with me citing a variety of reasons why the dog should be tied up but if the site owner is happy then I'll carry on.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Andy

I have two English Springer Spaniels. They can run all day but are very well behaved and trained. I'm with Chrisbee here. Find good CLs or CSs and providing the owner agrees you can leave yopur dogs off the lead. However , even of the lead we do keep a close on them for their own safety .

At the two main Club sites it's leads on I am afraid but again that's no problem.

A question of chosing where you go and what you want I guess.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts