newbie buying a van

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi we are going to collect our 1st caravan on Saturday and I believe I its law to have mirrors fitted to extend the viewing , so I purchased a wing mirror but the box only contains 1 ???

Do I need 2 mirrors (each side ? ) or its only law for the drivers mirror to have fitted ?

Sorry can anyone explain ? or advise

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The law requires you to have an adequate view down the side of a trailer - to achieve this the mirrors must of necessity project beyond the width of the trailer - few cars can achieve this without towing mirrors on both sides.

Any mirror fitted on the drivers side must be reachable for adjustment from the driving seat but that doesn't apply to the other side.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The law only states that ther emust be at least one towing mirror, and that it is fitted on the drivers side.

BUT,it then goes on to say you have to be able to see the rear corners of the trailer, which means having two mirrors.

Then of course the mirror sellers only sell in single units (at least that is for Milenco).

Having two mirrors is gives a much better view of the rear which is especially important when overtaking.

Another benefit if two mirrors is that when set up correctly, they are wider than the van, so if you come across a seemingly narrow place to negotiate, like a gateway into a camp site, if the mirrors fit through the space without touching, so will the van!!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Damien is right. Legally only a right hand exteding mirror is required.

However fitting both will not only improve rear vision, but also act as marker guides when negotiating narrow road situations.

I would also steer clear of any that obscure your existing car door mirrors, as you can then adjust these with the remote control to cover blind spots. I find my car mirrors very uesfull when backing on site. As they are motorised remote control units I can adjust them to see where the van wheels are going to land on the hard standing for instance.

Steve L.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts