Newbie from Lincolnshire

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi - just found this site - so Newbie to that - not new to caravans though. First trip was aged 7 when we borrowed a van from neighbours and shipped it to France in the days when they loaded everything with cranes! Now I am single again with grown children who were brought up with caravan holidays. I am currently planning to get to France next year sometime - with my Abbey 215GTS and Skoda Scout towing. Plus two dogs - so glad they are changing the rules in January - will be so much easier (and cheaper) to organise. I have a query about dogs if anyone knows - I see the rules and wonder if anyone reads them! One dog is a rescued dog and might come under the Rottweiler banner - not that she is really a guard dog - just a very sloppy pooch! French rules look as though she may have to be muzzled most of the time :( . But then again I went to Southern Ireland a few years ago and they said the same in the blurb about German Shepherds and I didn't notice any dogs with muzzles - nor did I put one on my GSD! That dog had need of a vet and I volunteered to muzzle her but he didn't take me up on it. I noticed on a trip (without the van but with a small tent for two nights in transit) that French dog owners were pretty cavalier about ignoring the "Dogs on leads" signs at various beaches - hopefully they will be the same about "guard dogs". Any tips would be good. It would also be good to hear from other solos - silver or not! I love my caravanning and hope to continue for many years. I don't fancy a motorhome yet (can't afford one either). I recently did some research for my son who is paraplegic and am delighted at how much is on offer for wheelchair users - maybe I can carry on for a LOT longer than I thought!

Pippa

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi pippa welcome to the practical caravan forum i also have two dogs but not yet got to France or Ireland but you will get a reply to what you want know from the great bunch on here..

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pippa and welcome to the forum. Interesting to read about your caravan being loaded on board with a crane for a trip to France, never realised that happened. I think the French are pretty cavalier about ignoring all signs but,sorry, cannot give you any info on the specific doggy questions, although I cannot ever recall seing any type of dog muzzled on any of my trips to France.

Robert

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello Pippa and welcome to the Practical Caravan forum.
There are many dog owners who regularly tour on the continent who use this forum, if you ask in Overseas Parks & Touring I'm sure that you will receive the advice that you need.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks MarkT
Ireland was a doddle except for the ferry arriving in Dublin at the height of rush hour - it was a bit of a nightmare trying to find a patch of green for the dogs! Mind you the roads weren't brilliant especially up the West Coast - even on the main roads there wasn't room to meet an oncoming lorry or bus without both of us going into bottom gear!
The new regulations coming in January are going to make it so much easier and much cheaper to get dog passports. No expensive blood tests will be needed then nor the 6 month wait. Of course you don't need those for Ireland - only thing we had to do on our first trip was buy dog food in Ireland because of the Foot and Mouth scare.

Pippa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts