we are just about to buy our first caravan and I would like to know if my

BMW 330D Sport Touring (Estate) will be ok as a tow car. Its auto too if that

makes any difference.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Scooter,

Welcome to this forum.

According to the site www.cuddles.abelgratis.net ( I jest ye not) your car has a kerb weight of 1690kgs.

Best practice says that as a newbie you should not tow a trailer (caravan)that has a MTPLM. (That acronym stands for Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass which is a posh title for the legal maximum amount of weight that your caravan weighs when fully laden) of more than 85% of the kerb weight of the car.

In your case that is a MTPLM of 1433 Kgs.

Out there in the wonderful world of caravanning you will find loads of new, not quite new and downright OAP Caravans that are under that weight.

Dont be tempted by whatever a caravan dealer tells you about "Oh Sir, I see you have the BMW 330 Tourer. Let me sell you a double axle super duper etc etc."

Whilst its true that BMW say that your car can tow a trailer weighing in at 1800kgs. that is for the guys and girls that have experience in towing. Its no fun trying to tow a large outfit that wants to do what it wants when you dont have the ability to handle it.

It really is one of those occasions when you have to accept that your driving abilities have limitations and are less than you would imagine.

Having said all that, (and at the risk of repeating myself.) Go for a single axle van under 1433kgs laden and you won't go far wrong.

Your present car is more than capable of towing that kind of weight and as a result of its ease of towing you will have a pleasurable experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts