Newcastle-ijmuiden ferry

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks,

im considering taking the newcastle amsredam ferry this summer. I have a Bailey senator are there any problems with this size of van on the ferry and what is the ferry like regarding comfort, food etc?

many thanks to all answerers

johnfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
We have used this crossing five times so far and will do so again this year. Living on Teesside means this ferry is only 45 miles from home compared with 362 to Dover, a benefit as I am the only driver in the family, also we do not need overnight stops or en-route meals. Check in is around four in the afternoon so we can get the 'van out of storage and take our time packing it before a leisurely drive to the dockside though, coming from the south, I do allow time for the Tyne Tunnel. Ships time is continental time so the crossing does not 'rob' you of driving time when you land. Food, well take your pick from a range of options though alcohol is at Scandinavian prices. We have had one crossing in a noisy cabin so we upgrade to Commodore Class; costs more but we are retired and we are on holiday, breakfast is then included and on this crossing there is time to eat it which means you start your day well fed. There is a range of onboard shops, various bars and a cinema. Being retired we are free to choose to travel on caravan goes free days. Now wether your 'vans length is a problem you would have to check that out but they do ship some pretty large commercial vahicles.

So have a look at the prices on the dfdsseaways web site - where it states van length 'no metres' indicates a free 'van day but the sooner you book the better - prices change according to demand. Once ashore you are only have about ten miles to the motorway system - assuming you want to use it.

And if you do go make sure you de-rig your extension mirrors overnight and only put them back on just prior to landing. They seem to be invisible to the pedal cyclists moving forward to where the bikes travel!

As you may have gathered I am enthusiastic about this crossing and, no, I do not work for D.F.D.S. - never have done and, at my age, never will do.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Last summer we used this service Good Ship,and it was spotless. We are taking the van over in June and it is an 8m TA towed by a Land Cruiser. We saw a custom Transit towing a beast of a Hobby, and they put it on the ramp !!!! (ps hippies not travellers)

Some how it dosen't seem to be a ferry when onboard,food etc is excellent.

Our cabin could have been quieter and we will upgrade to Commodore class next trip.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Last summer we used this service Good Ship,and it was spotless. We are taking the van over in June and it is an 8m TA towed by a Land Cruiser. We saw a custom Transit towing a beast of a Hobby, and they put it on the ramp !!!! (ps hippies not travellers)

Some how it dosen't seem to be a ferry when onboard,food etc is excellent.

Our cabin could have been quieter and we will upgrade to Commodore class next trip.
Gumbo,

Write in giving details of your noisy cabin. I did and was given an upgrade for the next trip !

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Gumbo,

Write in giving details of your noisy cabin. I did and was given an upgrade for the next trip !
Thanks for that Mike,the cabin noise probably wasn't enough to complain about,well I'm ex navy so used to engine noise SWMBO did comment on it. I thought the ferry itself was very very good. It was a bit rough crossing so what I did like about it was they take a route down the coast before the dash across the North Sea

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the useful comments. I have now booked and found the caravan club costs significantly less than booking online with dfds

once again thanks

john

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts