Newlands Holiday park - Charmouth

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I am suprised you have had no response.We went to Newlands it was steep hillside and even with a 10 foot van had to sink the hitch to get level,however that was 30 years ago and one of our very first trips with a van so I think pitching problems were more down to our inexperience than anything else.As far as I know the site is fine and pitching not an issue but sorry I cant give a more up to date report.The area is very nice with plenty to do.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for this. Yes 30 years is a while and thinks can and do change alot. I sincerely hope that the pitches are all reasonably flat as I do not enjoy the antics with a spirit level!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, The pitches are terraced and are mor or less level. The approach roads to the pitches are tarmaced and I never found any problem pitching when I was there a couple of years ago. I live in Dorset and when I took up caravanning in the late 80's it was the first site I went to. I hope the weather is kind to you being January. It is a relatively short walk from the site to Charmouth beach which should make an invigorating walk at that time of the year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, The pitches are terraced and are mor or less level. The approach roads to the pitches are tarmaced and I never found any problem pitching when I was there a couple of years ago. I live in Dorset and when I took up caravanning in the late 80's it was the first site I went to. I hope the weather is kind to you being January. It is a relatively short walk from the site to Charmouth beach which should make an invigorating walk at that time of the year.
john,look at www.newlandsholidays.co.uk They have a panoramic view of the touring field.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
John, I'm sure you will have a good time at Newlands. The photographs on their website show it all. I have stayed there regularly, but in one of their statics.

The site IS steep, but the pitches are generally stepped in. At that time of the year, I wd have thought you would have a choice.

Decent bar on site and a lovely heated indoor swimming pool.

Be sure to drive up Stonebarrow Lane (carefully, it's very narrow!) to the Stonebarrow headland. Far and away my favourite spot for magnificent views over Lyme Bay and long walks!

The Loders Arms at Loders, near Bridport, is a small pub with a big reputation for its food - not the cheapest but one of the best.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BEWARE of the steep incline on site,IF ITS WET you could come a cropper if you don't have enough speed up to get where you are going.if you haven't been there before,and you don't know the site,head for the top and find a space till you find out where you are pitched,then you can come down.believe me it can get slippy,and i came a cropper the first time i went.front wheel drive just spun,had to ease way back down and just pitched near the bottom.weight ratio on caravan and car was around the 85% mark,so the van was not to heavy.just be aware

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Some feed back for any of you thinking of staying here in mid winter. I am not permited (forum rules) to say anything that could be construed as criticism, so I shall not, I shall leave you to decide as to the pros and cons.

The site is excellent in mid-winter provided you like and expect :-

- communal (men and women together) toilets and showers

- 2 out of 6 showers unlit (to save energy?)

- heating in the toilet shower block kept below 60 degrees F

- water temperature of showers is bracing

- water flow of showers is 'conservative'

So there we have it

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts