Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
hi all hope you are getting on with the weather just come back 48 days away aldersteadheath ans carnon downs cornwall and widdicome farm devon great time cheers tom B) B)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
thomas_374576025 said:
hi all hope you are getting on with the weather just come back 48 days away aldersteadheath ans carnon downs cornwall and widdicome farm devon great time cheers tom B) B)

UMMMM us workers never do that in a whole year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did 3 last year, 32 the year before and up to 9 so far this year with 5 more booked.

Nice you can do it though, good on you.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a full time worker,we’ve managed 32 nights away for last three years,we could probably squeeze a few more in but tend to do min 4night trips.Currently sat overlooking woolacoombe bay,and very nice it is B)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here both full-time working but so far have 2o nights away and about to put in another 21 starting from next week when we go to France :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:
Impressive, nice if you can do it, for this season we are looking at 1 trip away per month all year long, weather permiting, and no snow.

Not bothered about the snow I'd still be away !!

Jul 27, 2019
Visit site
I work full time and we averaged 49 nights a year for the last three years. We’re away over new year and normally have at least one weekend every month plus a few long weekends and a couple of full weeks.
The theory is we’ve got the van so we’ll make the most of it.

Reactions: Amdram
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pathwalker said:
I work full time and we averaged 49 nights a year for the last three years. We’re away over new year and normally have at least one weekend every month plus a few long weekends and a couple of full weeks.
The theory is we’ve got the van so we’ll make the most of it.

I had more flexibility for nights away when I was working. The last 2-3 years since we started to caravan again haven’t been good. But after 26 years grand childing we may be seeing light at the end of the tunnel
But that may be an illusion as our daughter had been selected for a NHS sponsored mental health nursing degree which would require her to up her hours. The youngest grandchild is still only 14 years and in anticipation we moved home this April to be much nearer their home. Still were looking forward to a spell in Pembroke Followed immediately by a spell in Suffolk to celebrate our 50th.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OC I sympathise with you, only about three weeks away in the van, water heater needed new Elements, Thankfully removed and fitted the heater myself. I/ we had more 5ime away before I retired.

Maybe after the teeth done and last nose job , the travels will start properly. . After September.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Same here both full-time working but so far have 2o nights away and about to put in another 21 starting from next week when we go to France :)

Yeah work sucks! I was wishing for a 3 day weekend and 4 day work week, only this morning!

We've done 3 trips/15 nights in 2019 so far... We've got nothing booked for the rest of the year, but we do have a non-caravan holiday booked for September. It all depends on our Annual Leave remaining, as I've mentioned before, we can't get away early enough on a Friday to make a weekend worthwhile.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Craigyoung said:

Yeah work sucks! I was wishing for a 3 day weekend and 4 day work week, only this morning!

We've done 3 trips/15 nights in 2019 so far... We've got nothing booked for the rest of the year, but we do have a non-caravan holiday booked for September. It all depends on our Annual Leave remaining, as I've mentioned before, we can't get away early enough on a Friday to make a weekend worthwhile.

Well, retiring early was the best thing I ever did... I did fairly careful financial calculations - which was based on income and expenditure changes rather than a bottom up full recalculation, and am as well off...

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Nights away this year,

Strachcldye, Bunree and Richmond, 32 days
Exebridge 7 days
Trethem Mill 21 days.
Still to come
Woosifest, 4 days
Dornafield 21 days.

Total expected this year 85 days.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:

Years ago I had to get the MDs permission for three weeks off in a row. Good times have changed for the better :cheer:
How’s your Francais Craig :whistle:
7 nights in Telford next week. Niece’s wedding and an excuse for a slob on site!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Back yesterday from White Water Park. A few days of heat, rain, thunder and the rest. Just about time to wash the caravan inside and out before we are off again, this time to Wales.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Raywood said:
Back yesterday from White Water Park. A few days of heat, rain, thunder and the rest. Just about time to wash the caravan inside and out before we are off again, this time to Wales.

White water park , a great Club site that we visit a lot and also helps as the kids are only £1 :)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We are both long-term retired, and no longer count the nights in the van, but its a lot! The highest was the year we went to Sweden and Czech Republic in the same Euro trip, plus all the other regulars, making a total of 187 nights. We've not done anything like that since, now it's usually around 120, but as I said, we don't count them now, but I've just done a quick mental count and we've done 17 nights in July!
Sorry if you're still working, but retirement is wonderful!
Btw, for members who might not know it, I've been caravanning for over 53 years, and my current outfit is a 41 year-old Royale caravan, and twenty year-old Discovery, interspersed with a 32 year-old Talbot camper van!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
emmerson said:
We are both long-term retired, and no longer count the nights in the van, but its a lot! The highest was the year we went to Sweden and Czech Republic in the same Euro trip, plus all the other regulars, making a total of 187 nights. We've not done anything like that since, now it's usually around 120, but as I said, we don't count them now, but I've just done a quick mental count and we've done 17 nights in July!
Btw, for members who might not know it, I've been caravanning for over 53 years, and my current outfit is a 41 year-old Royale caravan, and twenty year-old Discovery, interspersed with a 32 year-old Talbot camper van!

Emmerson , what a great couple you must be, I am retired but getting the body back into fine fettle ready to going away after out 40 year wedding anniversary. Oh yes and the house decorating.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
emmerson said:

Emmerson , what a great couple you must be, I am retired but getting the body back into fine fettle ready to going away after out 40 year wedding anniversary. Oh yes and the house decorating.

Hutch I am worried for you, think your head has taken a knock, :whistle:
you are retired and decorating in the summer months, surely thats a winter project.
Dont give me the "I caravan all year so it doesn't matter "
Still more enjoyable in the summer months.
Chuck the paint brush out!!
Any way whats taking you so long :whistle:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gagakev said:
.....Hutch I am worried for you, think your head has taken a knock, :whistle:
you are retired and decorating in the summer months, surely thats a winter project.
Any way whats taking you so long :whistle:....

Because it's a hard choice between picking a whisky glass up or the paint brush up .... :p
I suppose a whiskey glass would win all the time !!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We were thinking about actually giving up altogether, as Anne is waiting for two hip operations, which are extremely unlikely to be completed for another 12 months and she cannot now get in or out of the vans on her own. Then, in this month's Caravan Club mag,(page 69) I spotted an advert for the MOTORSTEP. I'd seen one these a few years ago, but forgotten about it.
Well, the upshot is that ours will be delivered tomorrow! An expensive toy at £1400, but not-so-dear as a necessity, as it means we can forget thoughts of packing up! After all, our combined ages only come to 160 years! Besides, with Anne's hips done, we might be able to sell it on next year.
So look out, we could be heading for 200 nights next year!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Gagakev said:
.....Hutch I am worried for you, think your head has taken a knock, :whistle:
Any way whats taking you so long :whistle:....

I have been promising SWMBO, to decorate for the last three years, So now Its started!!! Kitchen done, back dinning room started. Just got to keep going, give it a break for the Woosiefest, then Hall stairs and landing. Then I suppose the West wing will need doing.

Jul 16, 2019
Visit site
Getting nights away is one of our biggest concerns before we commit to purchasing an outfit - we both work full time (but getting away early on Fridays wouldn't be too much of an issue).

Our challenge is that all 3 of our boys play youth football for a grassroots club and I coach the U14s team. Meaning weekends are spent training and driving to matches meaning no time for getting away.

We're thinking about postponing making a purchase until I stop coaching the team (2 more seasons) but I feel the kids would be missing out on some fantastic breaks as they all love camping. I'm trying to figure out if our long summer holiday and the combined half-terms we have to take off would make it worthwhile and we ramp up how many days we can get out as/when we can...

I am definitely very jealous of you guys that can up sticks when you want and get maximum use of your caravans.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bazn said:
Getting nights away is one of our biggest concerns before we commit to purchasing an outfit - we both work full time (but getting away early on Fridays wouldn't be too much of an issue).

Our challenge is that all 3 of our boys play youth football for a grassroots club and I coach the U14s team. Meaning weekends are spent training and driving to matches meaning no time for getting away.

We're thinking about postponing making a purchase until I stop coaching the team (2 more seasons) but I feel the kids would be missing out on some fantastic breaks as they all love camping. I'm trying to figure out if our long summer holiday and the combined half-terms we have to take off would make it worthwhile and we ramp up how many days we can get out as/when we can...

I am definitely very jealous of you guys that can up sticks when you want and get maximum use of your caravans.
So you can pitch up anywhere say within a 30 mile radius of home. Easy to travel to the sports venues but still giving you nights away and fun. Also an adventure for the kids too.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Morning off the decorating, just watching my neighbour opposite getting hitched up, to go off to The Blue Lias , caravan site, and its tipping it down with rain. Not sure if I envy him or not. :unsure:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bazn said:

Dream on. I had similar thoughts in 2000, stopped caravanning 2014-17 restarted and guess what, mid 40's daughter now off to uni and guess who looks after the 14 year old? Take the plunge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts