Nissan Pathfinder.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone here tows with a Nissan Pathfinder.
If so,what sort of MPG do you get solo and have you encountered any reliability problems.
I know there has been a couple of issues with the rear heating/cooling pipes corroding on the top of the range models which I understand involves the body having to be taken off to access the pipes.
Do you have a manual or auto?
Its just that with the grandchildren now at an age where they are going to want to come away with us occasionaly plus all the extra baggage to carry,the Pathfinder does seem like an ideal vehicle.
Your thoughts and comments please?
Many thanks,
Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ade! For better or worse, we have an 07-reg Pathfinder, but I'm a proper numpty when it comes to cars, so you probably won't get much sense out of me
smiley-wink.gif

It's a manual - 6 gears, for goodness sake. Who needs that many? Close your ears, chaps, but I tend to skip a gear or two on the way down and frequently forget where I'm at. Compared with our previous Mitsubishi Shogun, I find it quite heavy and cumbersome, esp in a car park. Then again, the turning circle is good compared with the Shogun, so it's easier for positioning the caravan. It has a wonderful rear-view camera for parking and hitching up the caravan, which OH loves, but I have never got the hang of. The satnav is useful and worked nicely in France, but it won't accept postcodes or GPS coordinates, which is a nuisance.

Lots of gizmos, ideal for Husband to play with, but the damn thing often does things of its own accord, things I had never even imagined we might want to happen, so I get panicky and can't work out what to do next. Can't think of a specific example, but I like SIMPLE. I don't do 'programming' and 'auto' anything. I can't even work the radio. When all else fails, I have to phone home and ask for directions to the appropriate knob or socket.

The amount of space is phenomenal. It absolutely swallows luggage and we've had 6ft wardrobes in the back with room to spare (eBay addict, don't ask!). There are 7 seats, if I remember correctly, but having multiple dogs, we have all the passenger seats stowed away to make room for cages. Some of seats fold themselves away neatly without all that usual fuss and getting your fingers jammed. The driver's seat can be adjusted every which way, and then - wait for it - you press a button to store your own settings, so that when I come along and rearrange everything, you can instantly get your settings back again. The driver's seat is very comfortable too, but I always get backache from the front passenger's seat. We thought too that we might be able to sleep in that seat, tipped back, between driving stints, but that hasn't worked out. Nor has the glove compartment, which is tiny, almost useless for someone who likes to keep a stash of essential items to hand.

One feature you might like is the back window, which you can open without lifting the tailgate. We also have a DVD player in the roof, which might be good for grandchildren, but obviously our dogs have never appreciated it and we've never felt the urge to hop back there and watch it ourselves. The car was a demo model before we bought it, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered with the DVD.

I don't know anything about the heating pipes, I'm afraid, but perhaps that's good, because at least we haven't had trouble with them! Can't think of anything else dreadful that's happened, except one of the rear door handles came off as we waited for Eurotunnel last year, which was a bit inconvenient. Then on our last trip away, I noticed the headlamp washer gushing forth as OH drove past me. I just assumed it was one of those unexplainable 'auto' things it likes to do (see above), but no, it was broken and we lost all our screen wash.

Regards MPG, we get about 22 when towing and mid-30s solo. There's a brilliant display that you can get up on the satnav screen which not only keeps count of your average MPG, but has a moving graphic that shows when you're wasting fuel. I find that enormously entertaining to watch out of the corner of my eye, and there is a fair bit of competition between himself and me when we change drivers and the gauge goes up or down. Sad innit, but we argue over things like what's on the radio or CD.

Have I missed anything? Feel free to ask anything else that crops up and I'll try and get an answer from OH.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi loadsadogs.
Wow.....what a reply...thank you
smiley-smile.gif

You sound totally different to my wife who gets very nervous when having to drive any car larger than her Fiesta
smiley-frown.gif

She has driven our CRV.......once.......for about 3 miles,but didnt like how much wider it is compared to hers.
We have a Shih-tzu and a Springer Spaniel and as I said,the grandchildren are coming to an age where they will want to come away with us occasionaly so the extra room and towing weight would come in handy.
(Cant afford to change just yet though.....maybe later in the year).
The CRV is great and if I am honest,the only thing that gets on my nerves slightly is having to remove the spare wheel cover to hitch up and un-hitch.I just need that extra few millimeters to clear the cover.
The MPG you return sounds pretty good considering the size of the vehicle and I believe there are 4 different driving modes you can use(2 wheel drive,Auto,4 wheel high range and 4 wheel low range).
I think the tax band is quite high isnt it?
Have you had to replace any tyres yet,if so,are they expensive?
I have read quite a few owners reviews on the internet,but its nice to actually "speak" live to someone who has one.
Many thanks for reply again.
Adrian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again, I see we have quite a few things in common: our first caravan was a Pageant (the Vendee fixed bed), I used to drive a Fiesta, and of course, there's the dogs.

Actually, I'm with your wife on the issue of driving. I wouldn't do it at all if I didn't have to get from A to B, and I really don't choose to drive the 4x4. Funny, I jumped in our previous Shogun and loved it straight away, but the Pathfinder is more meaty somehow and altho it's not physically difficult to drive, I think it may be a man's car - way too clever for me.

You're right about the tax band. Not sure how much we pay, but it's a lot, esp as we only really use it for towing. Tyres are expensive too. As you say, it's 2 wheel drive ordinarily (I think we keep the dial on Auto), but there's 4 wheel drive for awkward terrain. It's proved useful on a number of occasions, but most of all it's good to know 4 wheel drive is there if you need it.

Hitching is the easiest thing using the rear-view camera, and OH can do that quite quickly, all on his own. We've got the big Milenco towing mirrors, and definitely needed them with the wider Lexon, but now we're back to a narrower 'van we could actually manage without them.

I've just thought of a niggling irritation that we have with the locking system on the Pathfinder. It's convenient that you only have to have your keys somewhere about your person, then you just press a knob on the door handle. However, we each carry a set of car keys, and if one set is left in the car, the car won't lock. You also have to be careful when leaving the dogs in the car, because there's a special way of locking up which ensures that they don't set the alarm off. As you get out, you press a switch marked Lock, which is simple enough, as long as you remember to do it. It took us quite a while to work that one out, and the poor dogs got regularly zapped in the meantime.

Anyway, that's all for now. Any questions, just ask.

Jenny

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
if you have read the book on Charlie Boorman and Euan MacGgregors motor bike journey to South Africa (Long Way Down) the appendix lists the spares taken for the Nissan Pathfinder supportvehicels and the BMW bikes. I was amazed at the kit required for the bikes and doubly so at the small amount of kiit taken to support the Pathfinders. IAnd what is more they didn,t have any Pathfinder problems either.So apart from normal replacements they were ace.(air filters, oil etc)

May 12, 2011
Visit site
We just bought a Pathfinder 2 weeks ago... It replaces my trusty BMW. We wanted something a bit bigger than another BMW to tow our van which was "cough cough" slightly over the 85% rule...
Looked at a few 4x4s until SWMBO clocked the Pathfinder....
We averaging 32 mpg solo with an auto box.... Not towed with her yet, but will be when the schools break up end of July...As previously said loads of space and gizmos....

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies
smiley-smile.gif

jayuk1963.......would love to know how you get on towing with the auto box.
32mpg solo sounds pretty good to me with the auto(obviously depends how you drive it).
I have been reading reviews recently about the Navara which would have been another choice,but other half thinks it looks too much like a builders piece of equipment.
loadsadogs....we also use the milenco grand mirrors which I find brilliant as our van is 7ft 6in wide.
Because its such a hassle with the rear wheel and hitching up,I find it easier to use the motor mover and bring the van to the car inch by inch.
Thanks again.
Adrian

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Adrian.... We away next week in the van, so will let you know how she copes.....From what I've heard the Navara isn't a patch on the Pathfinder.... Heard of some serious issues with the Navara gearbox....
I'm still getting used to the car.... Many a time have gone to change gear.... Luckily the gearbox can be used as a semi automatic too...
My only gripe is that there is no where to connect my iPod... Bit petty the wife says.... But I love my music.... Also our model Pathfinder has got the best factory fitted sound system I've come across....and I've spent a fortune over the years trying to get a good sound.... Not tried the DVD yet as our model uses cordless headphones which were missing when we bought it....
As to how I drive it... Pretty much the same as I drove my BMW.... Hard...
Jay

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks jayuk.
A couple of things I would be interested in is the power available when accelerating and how she tows up hills.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Adrian

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Well we towed the van about 30 miles.... Don't think far enough to get a true reading on the fuel economy.... The computer dropped from 32.5 mpg to 29mpg....
But considering I think we packed half the contents of the house, I personally don't think it's to bad...
Faired better than the BMW would of, as we would have had to travel a lot lighter. But get more or less the same fuel comsumption....
Plus hardly knew the van was on the back.... Heavy traffic and bit of a side wind, van hardly flickered....
Will keep you posted about future trips...
On the design of the car.... My biggest bug bear is the previous owner didn't look after the interior.... Being mainly plastic , it's quite scratched in places.... But when cleaned up with Armorall you hardly notice it....

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info jayuk.
Fuel consumption whilst towing doesnt sound too bad.
What does it tow like being an automatic?
Never towed with one before myself.
Thanks again,
Adrian

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Ade,
Why remove the spare wheel cover? Either get yourself an ALKO handle for the job (rather expensive though!), or take out the bolt that secures the handle and use it as a removeable type: pull handle up to disengage the pads, then remove the handle and take the two arms up manually. When hitching up, move arms down as far as poss then put handle on and clamp pads. You can make sure the two arms don't scratch the wheel cover simply by guiding them away! Hope this may remove your only niggle with your CRV
Regards
Derek

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Derek,thank you for the advice.
Sounds like a good idea, but when hitching up.......if i use the extension handle to engage the pads,do I then have to re-attach the red handle for travelling,or can I just leave the 2 grey short handles in place?
Adrian

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
got a spare alko 4x4 handle in the garage somewhere! which I would be happy to sell as current and replacement car don't have rear mounted spare. I used to just slide it on and off as required, didn't reattach the handle until changed the car and just left the grey bits as they were.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Martin.
Thanks very much for the offer,but have bought one now from that well known auction site.
Hopefully,it will make things a bit easier now.
Thanks again.
Adrian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts