Nissan X-Trail (the new one)

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
Anyone had any experience towing with the new X-Trail? Especially the 171bhp version. It's on our short-list, along with the Honda CR-V.

Bryn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Would someone please write in and say that the new XT is not a patch on the old one

I don't want to know if its better than the one we've got as my toys should be the best

But seriously I wonder if there is a tow bar readily available yet

When Nissan facelifted the XT it was months before I could get a towbar--fortunately over winter.

My car was used by a towbar manufacturer to test fit the first of their towbars for the XT

I went round the various towbar stalls at NEC in Feb of that year and one was not readily available then

It does look a potential good towcar

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I currently own a 2.2 dCi Columbia XT and was fortunate enough to be able to try several new XT's both off road and on road over the weekend.

The new diesel XT is slightly longer, slightly higher and slightly more powerful that the current version. I was very impressed overall with it's performance but unfortunately was not able to tow with it. There is a genuine Nissan towbar, costing a fortune, available but not sure if any of the independant companies produce one yet.

Drive was first class and it had a more 'rugged' feel to it. The 173 bhp engine did not have as much extra grunt than I thought it would have.

The 150 bhp engine is also available with a 6 speed auto box but has much less towing potential and lower noseweight maximum. Anybody know why this should be with an auto box ??

Overall very impressive.

Bill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maybe they considered the extra torque too much for the auto box It would be interesting to know why and I would also be interested to know mph/1000revs in 6th gear for both manual and auto.

The present XT diesel is just right for towing on a motorway but I sometimes feel that a higher gear would be better solo

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi, We are just back from our first tow with new X-Trail. The car had just done 500 miles when we left so is still tight but tows well pulling a Ranger 460/2. ours is the 150 model & we got a (free) Nissan bar fitted. We exchanged becaused we had so much trouble with the last car.The car is a lot quieter than the last one & the shelves in the boot come in handy.The computer has yet to show less than 34 mpg with the van on

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, We are just back from our first tow with new X-Trail. The car had just done 500 miles when we left so is still tight but tows well pulling a Ranger 460/2. ours is the 150 model & we got a (free) Nissan bar fitted. We exchanged becaused we had so much trouble with the last car.The car is a lot quieter than the last one & the shelves in the boot come in handy.The computer has yet to show less than 34 mpg with the van on

Alan
No I'm not green with envy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan just a few questions

How did the outfit line up with the Nissan tow bar?

The CC said that it rode level in the towcar test

Did you find any difference in the feel of the new type of suspension with the angled shock absorbers?

How did the gearing in 6th compare with the old XT?

I get the impression that its higher geared

The old XT was doing about 2000revs at 60mph in 6th

Regards

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Alan just a few questions

How did the outfit line up with the Nissan tow bar?

The CC said that it rode level in the towcar test

Did you find any difference in the feel of the new type of suspension with the angled shock absorbers?

How did the gearing in 6th compare with the old XT?

I get the impression that its higher geared

The old XT was doing about 2000revs at 60mph in 6th

Regards
Hi ,

I must say I did'nt notice any differance in the suspension. The revs are just below 2000 in 6th. the van levels are about the same as the old X T as both have had the Nissan bar fitted.The car is much quieter and on the whole seems to ride better.

Alan

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

You mention that you had a problem with your last car, I am assuming that it was an x-trail, just wondering what the problem was, as we have a '06 aventura at the moment, this is our 2nd x-trail, our 1st one was a '03 SVE, briliant towcar, fast with caravan and without, only changed because hubby wanted cruise and i wanted sat nav, biggest mistake we made, our aventura is not a patch on the SVE, underpowered and mpg not as good either, it is well run in now, had it checked at dealer, also asked nissan why there was so much difference between them, they just said that there was nothing wrong with it, kinda put us off buying another one.

Lorraine

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
I think that the poor auto tow spec is becuase the new XT uses the same powertrain as the Qashqui which is not raelly bought as workhorse. I tow with a Sorrie auto with a 3000kg spec. Even the new Ford S-max and Mondeo have far better auto tow specs than the XT.The new Outlander/Crosser etc will have a beeter auto tow spec. Nissan seem to have dropped the bal on the auto capabilty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi ,

I must say I did'nt notice any differance in the suspension. The revs are just below 2000 in 6th. the van levels are about the same as the old X T as both have had the Nissan bar fitted.The car is much quieter and on the whole seems to ride better.

Alan
Thanks Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that the poor auto tow spec is becuase the new XT uses the same powertrain as the Qashqui which is not raelly bought as workhorse. I tow with a Sorrie auto with a 3000kg spec. Even the new Ford S-max and Mondeo have far better auto tow specs than the XT.The new Outlander/Crosser etc will have a beeter auto tow spec. Nissan seem to have dropped the bal on the auto capabilty.
Yet I was told that its an electronic change of the 6 speed manual box on the diesel (its the CVT type on the petrol) so it seems odd that the tow capacity should be any different

My friend has a Renault Removal Van with the same diesel engine and auto box and he has no problems

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

You mention that you had a problem with your last car, I am assuming that it was an x-trail, just wondering what the problem was, as we have a '06 aventura at the moment, this is our 2nd x-trail, our 1st one was a '03 SVE, briliant towcar, fast with caravan and without, only changed because hubby wanted cruise and i wanted sat nav, biggest mistake we made, our aventura is not a patch on the SVE, underpowered and mpg not as good either, it is well run in now, had it checked at dealer, also asked nissan why there was so much difference between them, they just said that there was nothing wrong with it, kinda put us off buying another one.

Lorraine
Hi Lorraine, Our last XT was 04 & we bought it 6 months old. Trouble stated with oll leaks,new tubos , timing chain snapping thus seizing engine, new engine mangament system, indicators stopped ,wheels corroded. First year it was off the road for a total of 35 days. Cannot see how the power of yours is down as surely the engine output is the same.

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had a test drive today in the 150bhp Sport

Have got to have one !!!!!

My 2006 XT with 21000 miles on the clock is the best car I have ever had and runs superbly but the new XT seemed in a different class.

Much quieter and smoother and to answer my own question it seems higher geared at about 64mph at 2000revs against the old XT at 60mph

I have had one quote for a trade in so tomorrow its out to get another and see which is better

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
It's interesting how many people on this forum will criticise a car for struggling to tow in 6th gear but shouldn't 6th be an economy solo overdrive gear and if the car can tow in 6th it suggests that 6th is too low a ratio??? unless you are driving a 3.0 litre plus car

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
Try the 171 (173?) bhp version too. Since starting this thread I've bought one. Haven't towed with it yet but solo and with less than 1000 miles on the clock I think it's going to be good.

Bryn

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
It's interesting how many people on this forum will criticise a car for struggling to tow in 6th gear but shouldn't 6th be an economy solo overdrive gear and if the car can tow in 6th it suggests that 6th is too low a ratio??? unless you are driving a 3.0 litre plus car

Exactly right!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been saying for years that the XT tows well in 6th but that solo it feels undergeared at 70mph

When I tried it in 5th today remarking that it would tow well in that gear the salesman reacted with surprise

I don't think that I want the higher power(173) as there has been more trouble with the old XT since they upped it from 112 bhp

The main difference is the lack of an intercooler so the engine should be less stressed but thanks for the input

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
Well JohnG, this 173 engine is new, French and has a very high specific power output.

Hmmm... I see why you are wary! My fingers are crossed.

Bryn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bryn

Hopefully all will be well but for me the increase in torque with the 150bhp engine over the present XT will suffice

I hope that my posting didn't seem dismissive and wish you well with the XT

Have done the deed and ordered the 150 Sport with Explorer(?) pack to be delivered next week

Now to face all my friends' incredulous you must be nuts looks!!

Somebody will get a superb low mileage XT with towbar and M A D springs !!

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bryn

Hopefully all will be well but for me the increase in torque with the 150bhp engine over the present XT will suffice

I hope that my posting didn't seem dismissive and wish you well with the XT

Have done the deed and ordered the 150 Sport with Explorer(?) pack to be delivered next week

Now to face all my friends' incredulous you must be nuts looks!!

Somebody will get a superb low mileage XT with towbar and M A D springs !!
At moment we are towing with a Passat 1.8T (Petrol). Lots of power but the suspension is too soft. We are looking at the new XT (Sport) but can't decide between 150bhp or 173bhp. Our present van is only 1200kg when loaded but we want to be able to pull a heavier van in future.

Never had a XT before, although have had 3 Nissans. Also is there a real problem with getting a towbar fitted as forum suggests? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts