Nissan X-trail

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I am interested in buying a X-trail having seen all the glowing reports. However those of you who have read last months Caravan Clubs (CC) write up of the X-trail in the 4x4 trials at their test circuit may have been mislead. Firstly the CC got a heavier X-trail than standard. the CC and Nissan UK cannot explain yet why it was almost 150Kgs heavier than the quoted kerb weight and secondly the CC calculated the 85% weight for the caravan incorrectly. the weight of the caravan pulled was ballasted to 1517Kgs and should have been to 1487Kgs. All this the CC readily admitted to me. So be warned if you are also thinking about purchasing a X-trail!

My question is, what is the max weights caravaners are towing out there with their X-trails and what models are they?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nick

I have a new (Sept 04) X trail 2.2 Dci Sport and tow a Sterling Eccles Jewel (max weight 1,500 kgs) and the X trail is great, will cruise at 60 mph in 6th.The only pain is changing down to 4th for hills. I previously had a Diesel Freelander also a good tower but not reliable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The report on the X by the CC was a joke.To start with it was criticised because they had to use 4 wheel drive on a hill start when the rest of the vehicles in the group were permanent 4 wheel drive anyway.They missed the fact that in "auto"the car will automatically and unnoticeable change to 4 WD itself.The handbrake was criticised but this could be down to adjustment of the cable which I have found to stretch very quickly.One report said that it was twitchy but I have not found this. I tow an Ace Jubilee Statesman (1400kg max) and it is a dream.As to Pete saying its a pain having to change down on hills the only way to avoid that is to have an automatic (not available in diesel)or for Nissan to lower the gears which would mean the engine racing at motorway speeds.Surely you have a gearbox to change down for hills otherwise you wouldn't need one !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nick. We tow a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux...abt 1350. The car doesn't know it's there and pulls up inclines in 6 and 5. The 6th gear is brilliant and helps economy. Solo 45mpg and towing 30 to 35 depending on terrain. This is with the diesal sport 2.2.

TRENDING THREADS