nissan x trail

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i am looking to purchase an x trail 2.2dci to tow my van which all up will weigh no more than 1300kgs. Everything seems fine on paper but am concerned that 138 bhp might not be enough to lug it and the van around. I would appreciate any advice/coments from people currently towing with one as i dont want fork out 16 grand and be dissapointed, many thanks indeed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sure others more knowledgable than me on Nissan diesels will provide more specific info, but I would say that whilst power is a factor, Torque is what you need for towing.

Oodles of power will let you go fast. Oodles of torque will let you tow your caravan up the side of a house.

As we do not tow 100% of the time it is important to choose a vehicle that suits your needs. From the comments on here about the X-Trail it does both "jobs" very well.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ian, CliveV is right as usual. My old 122bhp 2.2 CDI Merc with front wheel drive and seven people in it pulled large T/A Van with no problem. Even cruising at 70mph on the continent. Not the biggest CC but the mercs torque rating was one of the highest even compared to some 2.5 and 3.0 when I bought it. If the torque is there you will have no worries.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
When we were ready to change our vehicle 6 months back we found that it tended to wallow, nose to rear, and it felt a bit like a toy. We decided to stick with Volvo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well we are on the 3rd X and haven't noticed any wallowing but then we aren't used to the Volvo suspension to make that comparison.

Before the X I had 2 cars chipped to increase power for towing.

The first X 2.2 diesel felt so comfortable towing that I ddin't feel the need for chipping.

Nissan then brought out the 136bhp with loads of torque and its never felt underpowered once .

Go for it and wallow in the pride of owning one !!!!

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
x trail i find to be an ideal tow car with 136hp gives plenty power good stability towed 1700 miles last year on trip to ireland no problem giving over 30 to gallon towing compass rallye 1500kg mgw

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Ian

The xtrail is 134 bhp, not 136.

The brochure will show you 136 hp, note that's hp not bhp; the hp value is equivalent to ps.

This is currently a devious method used by manufactures to mislead the less knowledgeable.

A quick look at what cars data will confirm my point.

So the xtrail is even less powerful than you thought.

Fear not. I tow with the 134 bhp dci. It will easily tow your caravan. I presently tow a 1330 kg bailey. Also the 100kg nose weigh available is useful, showing no visible drop to the cars rear when hitched up, using 85kg

Mostly sixth gear is usable giving around 60mph for around 2200rpm. 231 pound feet of torque makes the X a great tow car. Look for around 30mpg towing.

Only on the long steep motorway inclines will you find yourself dropping down the gears. I can't say for mountainous area towing because I don't do any in these regions.

I have no wallowing while towing, or solo, strange I have read two posts that mention wallowing? My previous Audi Quattro had lowered sports suspension; so stiff I avoided potholes given the chance to avoid the jarring ride.

Check the engine front for signs of oil leakage. A common fault on 2004 models onwards, is a leaking air intercooler.

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
We tow a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux (1340) and the X does not know it is there. A superb car with no wallow and fantastic road-handling. 45mpg solo and 30-35 towing. We will buy another when this one needs replacing.

Lorraine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray that's an interesting point about bhp which I hadn't picked up on .The net brochure does say 136PS or 100kw.

I haven't needed 134 yet !!

The wallowers are one for wallowing and several against by now.

I think you have to make allowances for the extra height as some body roll is inevitable with higher vehicles.

I've never got more than 37mpg with any of them and I always brim the tank and calculate every time .We don't drive very fast or accellerate harshly but the hill that we live at the top of can't help!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian

I tow an Eccles Topaz which has a max weight of 1325kgs with my X-Trail. In France on the motorway it just sits in sixth gear all day if there are no holdups. Never had a problem with wallowing, I suspect this is more a problem with the van than the car. One reason for deciding on the X was the 100kgs hitch weight. The car really does have a lot of power, so much in fact that I have to leave it in Auto Mode (electronic control of 4 wheel drive system, not gearbox) to prevent wheelspin as it put so power down to the wheels.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian

I tow an Eccles Topaz which has a max weight of 1325kgs with my X-Trail. In France on the motorway it just sits in sixth gear all day if there are no holdups. Never had a problem with wallowing, I suspect this is more a problem with the van than the car. One reason for deciding on the X was the 100kgs hitch weight. The car really does have a lot of power, so much in fact that I have to leave it in Auto Mode (electronic control of 4 wheel drive system, not gearbox) to prevent wheelspin as it put so power down to the wheels.

David
Me too David--auto all the time

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
Ian

I am waiting delivery of my second Trailey. It is an excellent tow car. Also took it to France last year. Sometimes you can forget that you are towing. Go for it. It's a great car and never any wallowing.

Dave

Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian, we had an X Trail for a few months and in most respects i agree with everybody else. Economy is ok, ride, handling, and "grunt" are all good too. The problem we found was that it had a very weak clutch. Where our caravan was stored at the time required a bit of a hill start. Now I'm not talking Everest here and before the X we had a Vectra Estate diesel that coped fine. After only 3k miles we needed to replace the clutch so exchanged our 6 month old X for a 4 year old Disco. No problems at all with that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It shouldn't do as it only engages the rear wheel drive when it detects front wheel slip.

It detects it before I can so that its a seemless change that you aren't aware of.

In 2 wheel drive especially towing on wet inclines from a stop its easy to spin the wheels and as this doesn't happen in 4 wheel drive its possible that consumption could be better in "auto"

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
We use the 2.2dci SVE X Trail, and have been happy with it's performance. Given that we only tow for 10% of our annual mileage (in that car), it's a good compromise over the more heavy weight (but caperble!) and expensive 4x4's. We average around 38mpg solo (42 - 44 on the motorway), and 32 towing.

We tow an Abbey Aventura 325 (1350kg's) and for the most part would say the car tows fine.

Hope this helps, and good luck with whichever vehicle you eventually opt for.

Max.

Jun 3, 2006
Visit site
We use the 2.2dci SVE X Trail, and have been happy with it's performance. Given that we only tow for 10% of our annual mileage (in that car), it's a good compromise over the more heavy weight (but caperble!) and expensive 4x4's. We average around 38mpg solo (42 - 44 on the motorway), and 32 towing.

We tow an Abbey Aventura 325 (1350kg's) and for the most part would say the car tows fine.

Hope this helps, and good luck with whichever vehicle you eventually opt for.

Max.
HI ALL ,

WE TOW WITH AN X TRAIL 2.2 DCI SVE 2005 YEAR MODEL AND FIND IT AN EXCELLANT TOW CAR . LOADS OF TORQUE FOR TOWING AND OVER 30 MPG TOWING .

OUR VAN IS FAIRLY LIGHT ONLY 900 KG MIRO . AND WE WANNA CHANGE TO SOMETHING A BIT BIGGER , BUT ARE CONFUSED OVER WHAT SORT OF WEIGHT VAN WE CAN TOW UPTO . TWO DEALERS WE HAVE BEEN TO GAVE CONFLICTING ANSWERS . ONE SAID NEARLY EVERY VAN ON THE THE FORECOURT AND THE OTHER SAID THE X TRAIL IS FAIRLY LIGHT FOR A 4X4 SO YOU CAN TOW MOST SINGLE AXLES BUT NOT A TWIN ? . NISSAN STATE A MAXIMUM BRAKED TRAILER WEIGHT OF 2000KG BUT THE KERB WEIGHT IS 1550KG AND I KNOW YOUR ONLY ONLY RECCONMENDED TO TOW 85% OF THAT . CAN YOU HELP ME

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts