Nissan xtrail 2.2 - good towcar ?

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

After recently purchasing a Citroen Picasso we still dont feel that it has enough power to tow our challenger.

So we are now looking for a 4x4, we are very keen on the Xtrail and with a 2000kg towing limit it should have plenty of power to tow our challenger (1400kg)

I have heard about the turbo failing on them, is this a common problem ?

39mpg sounds good but is this really that accurate ?

Thanks in Anticipation

Ian

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Ian,

I have just changed from a mondeo tdci 130 to a 2.2 X trail and do not regret it.

although I do feel that the Mondeo had the very slight advantage in pulling power the XT is a far more comfortable ride the back end barely drops when you hitch up and sits solid over the rough parts of the road.

staying at about 55mph I can avearage about 40mpg solo and about 27mpg towing 1300kg and it has not even loosened up yet.

As far as the turbo question is concerned I have read different articles about this and it seems that the 2004/2005 models have had most problems but cannot coment further.

Go for it

Will

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Ian we also changed a picasso for a 112bhp 2002 x trail,i also read the reviews and it worried me regarding the turbo i have now towed with it for 2 yrs only paid for filters to service it which i do myself and 2 front tyres.We have never had any trouble with it,we have just returned from 2 weeks in france and i worked out over the whole journey (towing and not towing) we got around 32mpg towing 1350kg.On the motorway it is effortless in 6th gear at 60 running at 2000rpm.The way i look at it people will always highlight problems with cars but nobody writes up about how good there car is.

Hope this helps Andrew.

May 16, 2007
Visit site
hi Ian

I have a 2006 xtrail columbia had it from new, with satnav 30000 miles on the clock now and has never let me down once, whats more I am towing at 100% in weight, a twin axle sterling europa 620 and the x-trail pulls like a dream fantastic car go for it you will not regret it

Cheers Stephen

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

I have a 2005 2.2DCi with 67000 on the clock and it tows our 1500kg Bailey with ease. No problems with it just the normal service bits and pieces. One thing I will say is about the kerbweight which according to towsafe is 1520kg, I went to a public weighbridge with 3/4 tank of fuel and me sat in it and it weighed 1720kg. Just relating to Stephens post about towing at 100%.

Regards

Mikey

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ian

I have a 2006 2.2 Columbia. Solo I get about 40 / 42 at an average 55mph on motorways, towing (1350kg) about 27/28 at between 52 / 56mph with cruise control on. There is a marked difference depending on the wind direction. Like the caravan an XT has all the aerodynamics of a brick.

I have heard of turbo failures and also intercooler failures (one of the possible causes of a lot of black smoke) but these seem to be on earlier models up to about 2004/5 (I hope).

John M

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hello Ian,

I've a 2.2dci Xtrail,2years old this month,under 12K miles.Tow a

Bailey,mtplm 1400.As previous posts very good tow cars,very pleased with it although MPG quotes seem to good tobe true.With

mine at present I get 25-35 towing/solo.

From past experience Ian,quite a few month ago,you asked about a

VW Touran myself and others told you they were a good tow vehicle/good MPG-you then went and brought a PICASSO! This time

a Daihatsu Terios!!

I wish you well.

Regards,

FrankE.

Regards

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All, thanks for your replies!

The car sounds great and although the Mpg isnt the best it is also reasonable (our friends get 18 out of a discovery)

Frank - We were all set on the Touran and the day before we bought it we discovered it had been in an accident and that some of the main components were damaged. We then bought the Picasso for my wife and used it as a temporary towcar.

Thanks again

Ian

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
hi Ian,

Keep us informed with regards to the XTrail,i'm sure if you get

one,you will be happy with it.Make sure you do the nose weight

checks on the caravan before your trips.

all the best,

FrankE.

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Ian

kind of late to reply but have a 55 plate 2.2 xtrail sport great car 26/28 towing 1460kg swift charisma 555 46/48 solo on long run BUT am on 3rd turbo only done 36,000 mls but got them on warrenty cover other than that very good towing vehicle hope this helps

P.S/ 1st turbo was replaced by 2nd turbo only lasted 8,00mls also faulty turbo was replaced at 24,ooomls Nissan have said to me that they are still replacing turbo,s 9 months after warrenty is up .cheers

Duggie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi

just bought a new 2ltr aventura 173 bhp(08 plate)new shape.had a terrano bfore that(3lt sve).believe me the x trail pulls my caravan(1450 kgs) better than the terrano,and i didn't expect it to either, but it does.this is an awsome car which returns about 27mpg when towing.anyone who buys one of these WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED AT ALL

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Ian

kind of late to reply but have a 55 plate 2.2 xtrail sport great car 26/28 towing 1460kg swift charisma 555 46/48 solo on long run BUT am on 3rd turbo only done 36,000 mls but got them on warrenty cover other than that very good towing vehicle hope this helps

P.S/ 1st turbo was replaced by 2nd turbo only lasted 8,00mls also faulty turbo was replaced at 24,ooomls Nissan have said to me that they are still replacing turbo,s 9 months after warrenty is up .cheers

Duggie
Hi Duggie,

I have a 2002 XT, recently its been struggling up hills towing and solo could this be a turbo fault. Or would I not be able to drive at all if the turbo had gone.

cheers Steve

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Duggie,

I have a 2002 XT, recently its been struggling up hills towing and solo could this be a turbo fault. Or would I not be able to drive at all if the turbo had gone.

cheers Steve
HI! Steve you should be able to drive my first one went but you might only notice it when you put the foot down hard it would not pull very good it all depends on how bad it has gone. my second one only started making a whisleing noise it got louder as you put the foot down some say you get white smoke some say black i never had any smoke just no pulling power and the whistle

good luck

Duggie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts