Nissan Xtrail

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

We are picking our new towcar up on Friday, its a Nissan Xtrail 2.2di 2003 model. The kerbweight stated is 1525kg and the max towing limit is a hefty 2000kg.

Just wanted to make sure if it will be a legal tow. Our van is an Abbey impression MIRO 1278kg and MTPLM 1533kg.

Any info would be appreciated, we have been told it will tow the caravan no bother at all, and it is legal.

Cheers

Mark

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
hi we also have an x trail 2.2 we tow a coachman 520/4 total weight 1500 it tows it extremly well i checked with my dealers of both car and van and they assured me that the max tow weight was 2000 but advised me to only tow 85% of that hope that helps franklin

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mark

I weighed our X Trail on a public weighbridge and it was 1720kg with 3/4 of diesel and me sat in the drivers seat, the published weight was about what you stated, so I would advise you do the same. It cost

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark,

Is it legal? Well as long as the trailer weight (for example, the caravan MTPLM) is less than the car maximum braked trailer weight - and it is - then it is legal.

Is it safe? That's a different question. Without trying it, the rule-of-thumb is that if the caravan MTPLM is 85% of the car kerb-weight (and not the maximum braked trailer weight - as was wrongly suggested to Franklin) then it should be stable.

But most European drivers will tow at close to 100% because none of their caravanning clubs issue such a recommendation for 85% observance - and since each caravan and car combination is different, and how you load the car and caravan is unique to you, then I'd suggest you are in the try it and find out category - but you should be OK.

Robert

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
If you are a member of the cc then they will do a car/caravan match or tell what your 85% is. We tow an abbey alliance which has a mtplm of 1350kg, and we tow with a 2007 xtrail adventura 2.2dti. the cc told us we are towing at 89% with this van. How is everyones fuel economy with their xtrails? we get about 25-28 when towing

mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As has been stated weighbridging is the onle way to get an accurate kerbweight and by the same token its the only way to " know" the weight of the caravan

The M stands for max weight of the van but you don't have to load up to the max

Its a formula for worse case comparing car weight with max load and is only a guide

If you go to CC or websites for a tow ratio figure it will only be based on available data and from experience that will be a lot below weighbridged figures

From my own experience with 3 XT 2.2 diesels I would say that you will be OK unless you overload the van and you will be legal up to Nissans quoted 2000kg

We towed a Senatot Oklahoma with no trouble and great stability with plenty of torque

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts