No deal Brexit rules

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, someone has to start this so it might as well be me.
As I sort of understand it, in this event, stays in EU will be limited to 90 days in any 180 unless you get visa/s and the 180 days starts from the first day over there after the great event. I also gathre that - assuming you have used the 90 days, you cannot take another trip until at least 90 days after the end of it.. Possible exceptions are if you get a visa.
Our typical pattern over the last 16 or 17 years has been France mid September to end October (CC Insurance 42 days) followed by Spain via France each way New Year to April (CC insurance 122 days)

The gap from April to September looks more or less OK but not so October to New Year given how long we wish to stay. With the very high rice of 80+ age insurance the longer the trip the better the value and it's really not worthwhile going all the way to Spain for a few weeks.

One solution would appear to be to get a visa for France permitting longer stays. This would cover outbound and return to UK legs of the Spanish trip, which could be limited to 90 days border to border.
Direct ferry to Spain is not an option for OH driver.

Anyone else - particularly the longer stay sunbirds to Spain, had a look at this yet and have any comments/ suggestions ?
I've looked at all the .gov.uk and club websites but still not clear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
Another solution might be to rediscover that long forgotten Irish grandparent..........

Strange you say that. At a family gathering two days ago my paternal aunt aged 90 years told me that my great grandmother came from the republic. Must get the Ancestry subs up to date.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ray, if it ever comes to this strange situation, then just get a visa, lots of working people might have to do this. Its not going to cost a fortune, I used to have Nigerian, Pakistan and Indian visa's on the go all at the same time.

Think about HGV drivers, they will need a full time visa,

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I get the impression that the OP thinks that one would need separate visas for each country. That will definitely not be the case. If a visa is required it will be valid throughout the EU for all Schengen countries and any 90 day time limit will apply in sum, not for each individual country.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz, I was aware of the 90 day rule applying to the whole EU but not clear as to whether a long term visa to any one EU member would be valid anywhere in EU.. I had hoped this may be the case as the application via France seems to be more straightforward for us in UK than the Spanish version.
It seems however that these two countries do require different versions of the International Driving Permit, that for Spain being a different version thna that for most other EU countries.
You have resolved a large part of my enquiry. Thank you

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As regards the international driving permit, whoever published the information that different ones are required for Spain and France was just trying to be very clever. It is true that Spain is signatory to the 1949 Vienna agreement on road traffic and not to the 1968 one which was signed by France, and both conventions do have different formats for the IDP, but that doesn't mean that Spain won't accept the later version. Outside the UK, countries which signed the 1968 convention only issue the 1968 version. The UK didn't sign the 1968 convention until 2018. As this is fairly recent, there still seems to be some confusion in the UK, resulting in both versions being offered, quite unnecessarily.
As yet, it is quite uncertain whether an IDP will actually be required anyway after the UK leaves the EU. It was only required before the UK joined because UK licences at the time didn't have a photograph, which is a requirement internationally.

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We both got IDPs before our trip to France in May, in the event that the B word sneaked through while we were away. Not much effort, not much cost (in the grand scheme of things) but I couldn't believe how old fashioned they are... photos stuck on to the licence with ink stamps all over the place. I congratulated the Post Office lady for her neat handwriting on ours...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lutz, thanks for the information. The requirements I quoted came from a UK Government website, but, given the state of things, I am not too surprised that they are confused about this as well as a multitude of other things.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts