No Jack or Jacking point on new Coachman Laser

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do you really want the hassle of reversing its position before you go abroad. Which side would you put it fir the 180 miles to Dover, and the return journey Dover to home? It’s a poor piece of design, and even with regular maintenance it’s not the easiest thing to work with. Whilst a spare wheel in the front locker, or stowed in the caravan is a much better solution.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My Alko wheel carrier was on the nearside on our caravan but the spare tyre is now in the front box for easy access
You are lucky you can do that as unfortunately for many people, adding +14kg to the front of the caravan will have a drastic effect on their nose weight.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
1/2 inch is best for caravan and car torques. Mine came with an adaptor to go from 1/2 to 1/4 if required for lower torque/socket purposes.
I was just about to buy a torque wrench when I realised that you also need a set of sockets to go with it. Seems a bit pointless buying a socket set when I will only use one socket out of the set on very few occasions.
I guess I will have to scrap that idea and just take the caravan to a tyre centre. One of the tyres has a slow leak and I was going to try and remove the wheel to take to a fitter hence the need for a torque wrench.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was just about to buy a torque wrench when I realised that you also need a set of sockets to go with it. Seems a bit pointless buying a socket set when I will only use one socket out of the set on very few occasions.
I guess I will have to scrap that idea and just take the caravan to a tyre centre. One of the tyres has a slow leak and I was going to try and remove the wheel to take to a fitter hence the need for a torque wrench.
No don’t ditch the idea, you can buy good quality single sockets at Halfords or on line via Amazon and EBay. I’ve done it numerous times when my old Canadian Tire sockets circa 1985 fracture, or if I need a specific size. I alaways had a socket on my wheel nu telescopic wrench for caravan wheels and car wheels, so I’m not faffing about searching in a tool bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi, you can just buy an individual socket (guessing either 17 or 19mm)

May 12, 2019
Visit site
If one was looking for a torque wrench for a caravan or even a car, what size would one be looking at? I looked on Amazon and there is reference to 1/2 and 1/4 inch, but I thought they were now in metric measurements.
I bought a 1/2" Torque Wrench from Screwfix quite cheaply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If your getting involved with changing wheels and thus needing a torque wrench, that's not the end of their uses, almost any nut or bolt on a car has prescribed torque settings and thus your better prepared if there any jobs you decide to do on your car, for which you might need different sizes sockets.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No don’t ditch the idea, you can buy good quality single sockets at Halfords or on line via Amazon and EBay. I’ve done it numerous times when my old Canadian Tire sockets circa 1985 fracture, or if I need a specific size. I alaways had a socket on my wheel not telescopic wrench fir caravan wheels and car wheels, so I’m not faffing about searching in a tool bag.
Although I know how to change a wheel and do some minor things on the motor vehicle, unfortunately that is where my knowledge stops. I was not aware that sockets could be bought separately. I think the socket would need to be 19mm?
The WSL torque wrench looks the deal but at £47.50 plus £7.50 shipping costs I don't think OH would like that for something that will only be used very occasionally. There is one on Amazon with 17, 19 and 21 sockets for £42.95 incl delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=torque...ix=torque+wrench,aps,67&ref=sr_st_review-rank

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We were brought up on socket sets and torque wrenches. Once you have them you will wonder how you ever did without them 1/2” drive. Then the 1/4” drives come into their own with micro type stuff. They are a must will travel with me piece of kit

May 11, 2021
Visit site
FWIW the wheel nuts on my Bailey are the same size as the hex drive on the corner steadies - I have to use the wheel wrench to lower one of the steadies at home because it is parked up against a wall and the normal winder is too long, as is the drill/adaptor. The motor mover application shaft is also the same hex size, so I use the wheel wrench for that too.

Torque wrench - I have a Halfords one that is donkey's years old now but still functions OK (no idea how accurate it is but nothing has ever loosened or snapped using it). The Halfords Advanced range have a lifetime guarantee too. Just remember to store them in their unloaded setting.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
If your getting involved with changing wheels and thus needing a torque wrench, that's not the end of their uses, almost any nut or bolt on a car has prescribed torque settings and thus your better prepared if there any jobs you decide to do on your car, for which you might need different sizes sockets.

Assuming you know how to use it !

It amuses me, watching tyre fitters tighten up wheel nuts with an air / battery gun to well over the prescribed torque setting, then give it the thumbs up when the torque wrench instantly 'clicks' when they check them !

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Assuming you know how to use it !

It amuses me, watching tyre fitters tighten up wheel nuts with an air / battery gun to well over the prescribed torque setting, then give it the thumbs up when the torque wrench instantly 'clicks' when they check them !
Are those power tools not called," Whizz Click," tools.🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Everyone should invest in a socket set with a good range of say 20 sizes using 1/2 drive and also the same with a 1/4 drive. Those tiny sockets are unbelievably handy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not everyone has a desire to become an engineer, and I know a few people whom I wouldn't want to go anywhere near nut or bolt, yet alone a safety related item.

Ill quote Beachball

Each to their own.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Decied to skip the torque wrench and take the caravan toa fitter to check why the one tyre has a slow leak. Cheaper that buying a torque wrench which I will probably only use once that is if I can manage.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Decied to skip the torque wrench and take the caravan toa fitter to check why the one tyre has a slow leak. Cheaper that buying a torque wrench which I will probably only use once that is if I can manage.
As long as you take the caravan back to. The fitters to get the torque checked on the wheel nuts/ bolts , after maybe 30 miles, as advised.
I have several,torque wrenches, I believe most cars have a wrench to change the wheels and are short enough to be able to not over torque the wheele nuts/ bolts.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As long as you take the caravan back to. The fitters to get the torque checked on the wheel nuts/ bolts , after maybe 30 miles, as advised.
I have several,torque wrenches, I believe most cars have a wrench to change the wheels and are short enough to be able to not over torque the wheele nuts/ bolts.
In my entire life of driving we have never done that on any car or caravan I have owned and have never had any issues. Even when I was in the police, we never took the high speed patrol car for wheels to be re-torqued however they were mostly steel wheels in those days. Are we supposed to take the caravan back to the dealer again after a service because they have torqued the wheels?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my entire life of driving we have never done that on any car or caravan I have owned and have never had any issues. Even when I was in the police, we never took the high speed patrol car for wheels to be re-torqued however they were mostly steel wheels in those days. Are we supposed to take the caravan back to the dealer again after a service because they have torqued the wheels?
My owner manual said to retorque after wheels had been removed. Distance around 25 miles. My dealer paperwork said similarly but within 50 miles. I always checked torque before an outbound trip. Carried torque wrench in car.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My owner manual said to retorque after wheels had been removed. Distance around 25 miles. My dealer paperwork said similarly but within 50 miles. I always checked torque before an outbound trip. Carried torque wrench in car.
Fair enough, but shouldn't a torque wrench be re-calibrated every year due to the way it is used? Phydically I am not even sure if I can managed a torque wrench which is why we have breakdown services. One car has steel wheels and the other alloys with a locking nut.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fair enough, but shouldn't a torque wrench be re-calibrated every year due to the way it is used? Phydically I am not even sure if I can managed a torque wrench which is why we have breakdown services. One car has steel wheels and the other alloys with a locking nut.
Where have you obtained that time period. I’m not a professional wheel fitter or caravan engineer using it day in day out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Where have you obtained that time period. I’m not a professional wheel fitter or caravan engineer using it day in day out.
Re-calibration has been mentioned numerous times on this forum regarding torque wrenches so I assumed it is a standard thing to do?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The torque wrench forms part of my basic caravanning tool kit. It has saved me many times with nuts bolts that were too tight to undo with a standard spanner. Before each caravan journey I always check the torque of the wheel fastenings. Way back on here I reported the loss of a wheel on our tow car after a tyre change 200 miles earlier. The consensus was it is unnecessary to retorque the bolts after the initial setting. After my experience it’s belts snd braces. The recommendations from tyre fitters is to protect themselves!

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The torque wrench forms part of my basic caravanning tool kit. It has saved me many times with nuts bolts that were too tight to undo with a standard spanner. Before each caravan journey I always check the torque of the wheel fastenings. Way back on here I reported the loss of a wheel on our tow car after a tyre change 200 miles earlier. The consensus was it is unnecessary to retorque the bolts after the initial setting. After my experience it’s belts snd braces. The recommendations from tyre fitters is to protect themselves!
Probably because tyre fitters do not use a torque wrench as they use those compressor guns and you have no idea if it is set to the correct torque.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts