Noisy mover. Good or bad?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the update John. I’d do the same but monitor it. Even with collapsed bearings my Powrtouch still worked but very noisily. That is the time imo to take action.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Good to here that your mover's problem isn't terminal. I think the noise/vibration is movement of the roller on the shaft rather than the bearing holding the shaft. The drive to the roller is via a key that runs the full length of the shaft so is unlikely to fail. When I removed my roller the shaft was well greased persummably for ease of assembly and to keep moisture at bay. I think if you remove the roller, grease the shaft and reassemble, the noise will disappear.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
We had a Truma mover on 5 vans over 15 years no mechanical problems at all. We did however have to replace the remote, which we changed for a third party one ( cannot remember whose). We have now changed the van and given how old the previous one was we thought it wise to replace it. We have gone for Powretouch, which I believe is owned by Truma.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like what everyone says thanks for the update on your mover i would keep trying it until it makes another noise that when you know it needs looking at :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a fitter for the original Powrtouch movers I refuse to do anything on the now Truma units due to the Truma constraints on replacement of items that need replacing, such as this situation.

If, under the original owners, the problem had arisen then it would have immediately sent a new motor and gearbox to me to fit as soon as possible, none of this "wait and see".

I am afraid that the merger with Truma has been the worst thing they could have done.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very disappointing Damian. Powrtouch as was were brilliant with legendary after sales 5 year no quibble guarantee. So under the Truma parent is the great Powrtouch support no longer😥😥😥😥

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Very disappointing Damian. Powrtouch as was were brilliant with legendary after sales 5 year no quibble guarantee. So under the Truma parent is the great Powrtouch support no longer😥😥😥😥

My brother has a Powrtouch, He tells me that Truma honour the terms of the original warrentee.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Like what everyone says thanks for the update on your mover i would keep trying it until it makes another noise that when you know it needs looking at :)

Bare in mind, if I had not tried the mover off load, I would never have heard the shudder. Under normal use, the speed, power and sound of the mover is the same as it‘s always been.

John

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Here is an update from Truma. First I should say that in a previous post I lambasted their service. Only because that was my experience. But, regarding my question on the mover shudder, their website accessibility and response have need excellent.

“Thank you for your enquiry and video. This is something we do see sometimes and is down to wear and tear. It shouldn’t cause an issue if it’s working OK under load, however f it does eventually start to become an issue then it will be a motor gearbox replacement. If this does happen, we would advise that you contact a local Caravan dealer who will be able to inspect the unit and replace if necessary.”

In the circumstances, I will continue to use it as they suggest. After all, although it’s now in its 6th year, it’s not had that much use. And, under load, it works fine.

I also wonder if the shudder is just a reaction to the sudden use of the torque, particularly as it settles down very quickly.

Thanks for others responses.

John

Re Truma's response:
The bottom line is that the motor gearbox is on the road out, it is faulty no ifs or buts, if under warranty it should be replaced.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bare in mind, if I had not tried the mover off load, I would never have heard the shudder. Under normal use, the speed, power and sound of the mover is the same as it‘s always been.

John

Please stop making excuses for their disinterest.
As has been said, the gearbox is faulty, it should be replaced , not left until it fails all together, probably when you need it most !!

Question is, would you accept a reply such as, "Its only a little gas leak, it should be ok, but when it goes bang we will fix it"

Reactions: Anseo
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Please stop making excuses for their disinterest.
As has been said, the gearbox is faulty, it should be replaced , not left until it fails all together, probably when you need it most !!

Question is, would you accept a reply such as, "Its only a little gas leak, it should be ok, but when it goes bang we will fix it"
Precisely the point I made in two above posts. The noise is a sign that something is amiss, and it will not self repair. Even if it is not in warranty a fix now will cost less than waiting until something stops it functioning.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I bought new Powrtouch bearings and the three gear wheels , the gears were fine. I changed them . Looking at the assembly it’s hard to see how the gear wheels could catastrophically fail short of the heavy steel fracturing. One of the two bearings on the drive roller had collapsed but apart from the loud knocking it still worked! I can’t comment on a Truma but will repeat my earlier post, let the Truma / Powrtouch guys do it because their repair in the long run will still be cheaper!!

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
John, interesting topic. If it's still under warranty it might be worth the hassle of taking your 'van to the dealer for assessment and waiting for confirmation of a warranty claim. Then taking it back again to be repaired. Then picking it up after being repaired.
Keep us informed, this week, next month, next year. My view: Relax and carry on 'vanning. If it's out of warranty it could be easier/cheaper to replace with new.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John, interesting topic. If it's still under warranty it might be worth the hassle of taking your 'van to the dealer for assessment and waiting for confirmation of a warranty claim. Then taking it back again to be repaired. Then picking it up after being repaired.
Keep us informed, this week, next month, next year. My view: Relax and carry on 'vanning. If it's out of warranty it could be easier/cheaper to replace with new.
His is six years old, out of warranty.

Reactions: Danddandy

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It may be just over the 5 years but remember that your van was not allowed to be used for a year or thereabouts, so it is arguable that the warranty should be extended because of the Covid situation.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Good point, I wonder if anyone has succeeded with that argument.

On Sunday, I will be using it in earnest. I will report back on any issues.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It may be just over the 5 years but remember that your van was not allowed to be used for a year or thereabouts, so it is arguable that the warranty should be extended because of the Covid situation.
That's a moral argument - but not a legal one, any warranty extension is a matter of goodwill.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's a moral argument - but not a legal one, any warranty extension is a matter of goodwill.
I have to agree, its like insurance, the cover didn't stop becasue of the pandemic, and it didn't prevent the mover from being used, only that holidays could not be taken.

Some items (not specifically caravan mover items but in general) deteriorate with the passage of time whether used or not.

So its very unlikely warranty cover would be extended, but issues such as service interval might.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think I have it sussed. I tried it again. And, though not clear in the first video. It’s not just the roller that shudders. The whole body on its track shakes. It can be felt. When moved onto the wheel, this would be subdued.

To simulate this, I put a jack under the mover to lock it onto the track. The initial shaking is very much reduced. It now sounds exactly like it always has when under load. I therefore do not think either the earing or gearbox have failed.

I now need to see if Incan access the sliding mechanism to put some heavy grease on.

See this video, note the jack.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst your actions are of interest they do nothing to resolve what is a worn/damaged mover, and unfortunately the only way forward is to strip it down for diagnosis, and repair. Or have it repaired by a mobile technician.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Whilst your actions are of interest they do nothing to resolve what is a worn/damaged mover, and unfortunately the only way forward is to strip it down for diagnosis, and repair. Or have it repaired by a mobile technician.

I really do not believe there is anything wrong. The slider has to have play in it in order to operate, otherwise it may jam up. All that appears to be happening, and the videos show this, is the mover is rocking, or shaking on the slider due to that play. This, looking at video 1, is not obvious, but when the mover is felt, it is. The shaking though is accentuated and displayed at the roller simply because it extends from the body. Under normal operation this does not happen, as the pressure from the tyre subdues any movement.

Under normal operation, the action and sound is no different then when it was new.

I do not remember other movers I have had doing this when not under load, possibly for either or both of these reasons, the others were manually applied. And this one is much more powerful and has greater torque.

I feel certain all will be fine.

But thanks to all posters for your comments.

DO NOT put heavy grease on the slider. The only lubricant needed is spray chain oil, nothing else.

Thanks, will do, just got to see what access there is. Also, I think that comes as a spray, which will make life easier.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If it sounds no different from when it was new what’s the problem then ? Do both sides respond similarly when not against the tyres.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
To add, another thing which my accentuate the initial shaking. This unit has soft start technology. But the motor seems to go full blast straight away when free running. I am guessing the soft start does not happen until the contol box recognises it’s under load.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts