Noisy mover. Good or bad?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If it sounds no different from when it was new what’s the problem then ?

I believe that is exactly what I said in #45, That I thought I had isolated the perceived problem as being, perhaps normal when NOT under load. Therefore, I do not believe there is a problem to be concerned about.

Also, I had previously stated that the mover works and sound fine under load.

Looking at your post #47 you seem to believe it is in need of repair. Not sure why that may be.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I believe that is exactly what I said in #45, That I thought I had isolated the perceived problem as being, perhaps normal when NOT under load. Therefore, I do not believe there is a problem to be concerned about.

Also, I had previously stated that the mover works and sound fine under load.

Looking at your post #47 you seem to believe it is in need of repair. Not sure why that may be.

John
But do both units behave the same under no load as you said no different from new. If both sound and respond the same then I’d agree there’s not a problem. But it’s not clear to me if it’s a single unit issue or both or none.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As a slight aside, my search for a Powrtouch repairer shows several who will recondition/repair the electronics but none so far that will recondition/repair the gearbox/motors - anyone have any recommendations? Powrtouch themselves just suggest a new motor to cure a noisy gearbox.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a slight aside, my search for a Powrtouch repairer shows several who will recondition/repair the electronics but none so far that will recondition/repair the gearbox/motors - anyone have any recommendations? Powrtouch themselves just suggest a new motor to cure a noisy gearbox.
I suspect that Powrtouch may not release component mechanical parts and so any repairer may have to source or make alternatives which would be relatively expensive. Approved repair technicians may have access to parts or just do a sub assembly swop which is then returned to the factory for reconditioning.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I suspect that Powrtouch may not release component mechanical parts and so any repairer may have to source or make alternatives which would be relatively expensive. Approved repair technicians may have access to parts or just do a sub assembly swop which is then returned to the factory for reconditioning.
The motors, gear sets and bearings are all available for older Powrtouch models - I'm struggling to find anyone prepared to do mechanical repairs. In the old days, I'd have attempted the rebuild myself but I'm too old to get down and dirty now.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
But do both units behave the same under no load as you said no different from new. If both sound and respond the same then I’d agree there’s not a problem. But it’s not clear to me if it’s a single unit issue or both or none.

Perhaps I am not explaining myself fully.

Under normal circumstances, there is no need to run the main motors off load. So I was never aware of any potential issue. Everything was working fine.

But, the remote batteries failed, so I changed them. I could not test them under load as the van was set up. So I tried it in free air, no load.

Both sides gave the same rumble on start up but one slightly worse than the other.

That is what you hear in the video in #1. I suspected the bearing, as did others, Truma said they had heard it before and to keep going but it may need a new gearbox in the future.

Then, thinking about the situation, I wondered if the shake was emitting from the sliding mechanism. So I placed a jack in such a position as to lock the slider. Then tested it. The initial rumble is now very much reduced. (2nd video). Suggesting to me that the bearing or gearbox were not the issue.

Under normal circumstances, that is, under load, the mover sounds and works as it always has. Tomorrow, when we leave this site, I will be able to try it under load. I strongly suspect it will be as normal.

Had I not had the need to run the mover in free air, I would never have suspected anything at all was amiss.

So, why might it rumble when not under load? I suspect it because a powerful motor is starting from static, without the soft start kicking in. And, that said motor is loose on it’s sliding mount.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Am I missing something? John’s photo shows his is a Truma unit. Whilst Powrtouch were bought by Truma a few years ago . To date the products are still kept separate even on design??

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Simple answer would be the rollers bearings.

Wedge a large screwdriver, bar in and see if there is movement

or

It could be just the soft start, as in it sounds like a pulse

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Simple answer would be the rollers bearings.

Wedge a large screwdriver, bar in and see if there is movement

or

It could be just the soft start, as in it sounds like a pulse

I think it is what I said earlier. #56. Just used the mover to hitch up and later at the storage. Works a treat.

I do admit that in free air it sounds awful. But I think it was worry about nothing.

I already had tried it for play, can’t feel any.

John

Reactions: Darren.H

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts