Non return valve in water system

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, It's 'newby asks stupid question time' !
Ive just refitted / re-plumbed my water system, it had loads of extra pipe & joints.
Ive found one of the 'joints' I removed was a non return valve!
Its a pump & accumulator type system, I've not tried it, do you think it'll work with out the non return?
Cheers,Gareth

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The non-return valve will most probably be there to stop the water running back into the fresh tank when the punmp isn't running. If it is in the cold system you would tend to get air into it at the least and if it is in the hot system it might mean that the hot tank drains back - which wouldn't be helpful if you try to heat an empty tank
smiley-smile.gif

Just for safety's sake I would put a non-return valve in (logically) the same place in the pipework.
Graham

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The NRV is essential. make sure that you replace the nrv on the inlet side of the pressure switch or if you have the switch combined with the pump on the inlet side of the pump. Make sure that the valve is mounted so that water can flow from your main tank to the taps but not the otherway, easy to check, just blow and see
smiley-wink.gif
The system relies on sealed taps one end and a non-return valve the other to maintain pressure in the pipework, loss of which will cause the pump to run.
Roger.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
HELP!!
Its all fitted & working but the pump
Wont run unless I power it up direct. It was working fine before I moved it.

Ive got the system plumbed , TANK - NRV - PUMP - ACCUMILATOR is that right? It will pump water fine if I by-pass the switch on the bottom of the pump.

-any advice??

Cheers Gareth

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Pump should be wired from a pressure switch have you checked the switch? or is it contained within the pump?
When hooked together correctly, the pump should turn on , pump momentarily, switch off and only start again when the tap is opened.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Thanks , the switch is built into the bottom of the pump.
Ive got a spare whale remote switch, I suppose I could fit that & see if it works?
Its annoying as it was working perfectly before i relocated the pump!

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Any Fuses in the pump supply? I ask because if the pump works when fed independently, and with the Pressure switch being built in, it would seem as if there is a problem with your original wiring/supply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts