North Yorkshire

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We shall be caravanning near Pickering in a couple of weeks and want to spend a day visiting York Railway Museum. We would like to use the Park & Ride instead of taking the car into York. Not knowing the area, can anyone tell us which Park & Ride to use which stops near the Railway Museum?
Many thanks.

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Rawcliffe Bar park and ride stops in Leeman Road, right outside the NRM. Enjoy your stay near Pickering, and your NRM visit, wish it was me.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks very much for that information, catlady. We're looking forward to our visit.
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I think that i would prefer to use the Monks Cross Park & Ride site a lot easier for you to access from Pickering even
though a short walk across town from the drop off point,far better in my opinion then trying to get to Rawcliffe Bar as the A1237 can
be a nightmare to get round.
Word of warning do not use the carparks in the city centre horrendous parking charges at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask :eek:)
Hope you have a good day at the NRM and have a great stay in "Gods Own County"

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Monks Cross is the best, you just turn right at the roundabout as you approach York and then left at the next one. Incidentally fuel is very cheap at the Asda and Sainsburys stores next to the Park and Drive. We were there two weeks ago and diesel was £134.7 and £134.9.

You can get a road train service from the museum to the city centre but in any event it is easy to walk it.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Raywood, thanks for the directions to the P&R and the tip about diesel prices, also about the road train.
Tonka, Thanks for confirming that Monks Cross P&R will probably be best for us to use, coming from Pickering.
We shall be going on the NYM railway from Pickering to Whitby one day and plan to have our lunch there before returning. Anyone with local knowledge know a good eatery within walking distance of the railway station? I've heard the Magpie is very expensive (?).
Our fingers are crossed that the sun will come out during our week away, after all the torrential rain we've had
smiley-cool.gif
but will take our wet weather gear with us just in case it continues.
smiley-wink.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's still there, but the little cafe in the Railway Station building itself used to be very good for simple meals, but fish and chips sitting outside on the rocks down by the beach, is definitely the best option!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Laura & Val A. Quite often we've found the cafe on Railway Stations to be good. The one at Sheringham Railway Station in Norfolk is good too and so is the one out in the wilds at Rannoch Moor Railway Station, Scotland.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember the name but there is a pub the far side of the swing bridge and we ate well there last time we went.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts