Northern Lake District

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Burns Farm Caravan and Campsite

Thought I'd give this site a mention, we came here last October purely by accident, loved the location so back again right now🙂
Excellent base for Hiking and cycling and a very easy tow off the main A66, some sites around the area I think caravans have been airlifted in!
I'm not doing a site review as that's subjective to an individuals wants and needs, take a look at the link. Currently all the hardstanding caravan pitches are taken,(had a quick look around on the way to the bog), which speaks for itself.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Lovely views and ideally placed for walking and the lovely off road cycle route into Keswick is a hop skip and a pedal down the road.

Reactions: Big S
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
it looks a lovely site, fantastic views but I am not into hiking or cycling
If you like the Lake District, Keswick is a better destination than the over popular area at Lake Windermere, but don't tell anyone.
We have lovely tan's after a day sat reading on a beach, are they called beaches?, at Derwent Water, bliss.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We like Keswick but also like Penrith we stopped on a nice campsite it had fantastic views and I have been to Lake Windermere fishing with my brother we hired a boat caught some nice pike that day

Reactions: Darren.H
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Keswick is fabulous....... don't even currently have a caravan but am biased as I spent 3 years at Lairthwaite School there as a boarder ( 1976 -79)........loved it so much that I took my wife back up to the Lakes to get married.
Have also been up Scafell Pike quite a few times, and over all the highest passes on motorbikes ( 2 x BMW 1100 RT and 1 x 1200 RT), and also over the Hardknott pass once in a Kia Sedona........which was fun!!

Steve

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Keswick is fabulous....... don't even currently have a caravan but am biased as I spent 3 years at Lairthwaite School there as a boarder ( 1976 -79)........loved it so much that I took my wife back up to the Lakes to get married.
Have also been up Scafell Pike quite a few times, and over all the highest passes on motorbikes ( 2 x BMW 1100 RT and 1 x 1200 RT), and also over the Hardknott pass once in a Kia Sedona........which was fun!!

Steve
Hi Steve you have owned some nice motorbikes we also like Keswick :cool:

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Cheers,

I love to ride......a few snaps of some of my bikes...... as you can see I've been riding beemers.....

Steve

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Steve
Lived in the Lakes for a while and our runabout was a Skoda Estelle and we took it over every pass in the Lakes. Generally had to drop down to first gear then just slowly plod to the top. Hardknott was the most “clenching” of them all.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Cheers,

I love to ride......a few snaps of some of my bikes...... as you can see I've been riding beemers.....

Steve
Nice BMW bikes

Reactions: Steve1962
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Lived in the Lakes for a while and our runabout was a Skoda Estelle and we took it over every pass in the Lakes. Generally had to drop down to first gear then just slowly plod to the top. Hardknott was the most “clenching” of them all.

I remember the Estelle.....those were the days when the standing joke was that you could double the value of a Skoda by putting a tankful of petrol in it........how times have changed.

Steve

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Nice bike

Thanks - that was the BMW R1100R - this particular bike had one owner before me, a retired copper who really looked after it and put some extras on it - GIVI screen and additional deflector, leather baglux tank cover, BMW hand guards and engine protectors - there was even a brand new Poly belt in the top box ( they are due a change at 36k on this bike so I had it done by the dealer when I bought the bike from Wells in Somerset.
It doesn't have the weather protection of the full faired RT, but as a result is nearly 100kg's lighter which gives it a bit more mid range grunt right where you'd like it for "making good progress", although it loses a few mpg as it's not as aerodynamic as the RT.
These beemers all handle much better than you'd think for machines that are big and heavy - the monolever suspension design means there is little or no dive when you brake and this helps the handling a lot.
Unbelievably the number plate on this one was only one digit out compared to the RT that I had - must have been the next machine on the production line.

Steve

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - that was the BMW R1100R - this particular bike had one owner before me, a retired copper who really looked after it and put some extras on it - GIVI screen and additional deflector, leather baglux tank cover, BMW hand guards and engine protectors - there was even a brand new Poly belt in the top box ( they are due a change at 36k on this bike so I had it done by the dealer when I bought the bike from Wells in Somerset.
It doesn't have the weather protection of the full faired RT, but as a result is nearly 100kg's lighter which gives it a bit more mid range grunt right where you'd like it for "making good progress", although it loses a few mpg as it's not as aerodynamic as the RT.
These beemers all handle much better than you'd think for machines that are big and heavy - the monolever suspension design means there is little or no dive when you brake and this helps the handling a lot.
Unbelievably the number plate on this one was only one digit out compared to the RT that I had - must have been the next machine on the production line.

Steve
Hi Steve you can tell it been well cared for:)

Reactions: Steve1962
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Steve
A friend had a BMW bike run into the back of his BMW causing a lot of damage. The rider was at fault, but no damage to bike as he was able to ride it away after details exchanged and police on scene. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't some BMW bikes driven by a cam rather than a chain>

Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
A friend had a BMW bike run into the back of his BMW causing a lot of damage. The rider was at fault, but no damage to bike as he was able to ride it away after details exchanged and police on scene. Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't some BMW bikes driven by a cam rather than a chain>

Many are in fact shaft driven, particularly the touring versions.
I like the lazy engine, the torque and the ability to travel vast distances in comfort.
On my 1100RT, I took my son to Scotland for a week using fort William as a base, and on the way back on the M6 near Carlisle.........he fell asleep on the back!
The bike had a top box with a back rest on it, and also panniers.
We had 2 way comms and as soon as I realised he had dozed off I pulled into the next services and got him a large coffee, a good sized breakfast, and we had a walk about for 20 mins before setting off again....here's the beastie, which I called The Pathfinder (my brother did the yellow stickers as he is a sign writer by trade).....

https://steve1962.smugmug.com/Travel/Over-the-border/i-4n3FBw4/A

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts