Nostalgia's not like it used to be!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Ever since my student days, I've enjoyed lively debate to "put the world to rights". There were only two principles - identify what was wrong and then identify what should be done.

Nowadays people just complain about what's wrong (no change there) but people seem devoid of practical ideas how to put it right, regardless of political acceptance.

Don't just tell us what you think is wrong, we probably already know that, tell us what should be done to put thing right.

Does anyone want to debate falling educational standards? Perhaps that's the explanation for the situation above.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
What you mean mate?? Goverment said standards are rising, going to spend another few billion making them better still. Record numbers at Uni, record A levels and noboby leaving school without 6 GCSEs even though they can't read or write. What you want mate? bleeding hell it don't get much better than this, except in India or China. It's a ploy see, the only way to get them to go back is to lower the standard here so they are better off in India/Pakistan/Nigeria/China or the old Eastern Europe.

Val & Frank ---------))))))

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
50% of adults aren't as numerate as the standard required for 11 year olds. That's more than the % of voters for any one political party.

Abolishing grammar schools was a badly flawed policy.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Roger, reading your comments about the CC in various topicseads you seem to give the solutions but it's usually in another thread as part of another U turn in opinion !

G

Roger makes a point, the problem being we have a goverement of many ex uni students with little life experience apart from that gained during their drive for political ambitions to come to fruition.

As MP's they do everything in their power to stifle debate and others views, and also stifle their own parties views if they dare to differ from the two Blue Brothers squabling over the hot seat.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roger, reading your comments about the CC in various topicseads you seem to give the solutions but it's usually in another thread as part of another U turn in opinion !
My opinions on the CC are consistent and well known, particularly to the CC!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I agree with the debate point yesterday in the "Scttish Parliment " 7 yes, seven people MSPs took part in a debate shown live on TV. I wonder what happened to the rest of them??? On ex's probably having a good lunch.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I must be even more confused than the average, because I thought this was a forum about caravans and caravan related issues. How wrong can a person be?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
50% of adults aren't as numerate as the standard required for 11 year olds. That's more than the % of voters for any one political party.

Abolishing grammar schools was a badly flawed policy.
in my young days. Secondary Modern Schools were for pupils who failed the 11+ and were educated to take on the menial or labouring jobs in our society

if you were classed to be above Secondary school requirements you could go to technical school to learn craft and draughtsmanship

if you passed the 11+ you were sent to a Local Grammar School and if you stuck in you would go to Uni and end up in one of the professionals.

Now the Education System (along with the NHS) is a major political football and only the present and future children suffer in all the changes thrust upon us, by the teachers and their representatives, by the politico's and their many advisors. I beleive that the most devisive decision made by government was to charge fees for univerity education as it has'nt touched the wealthy its only hit the not so well off amongst us. IMHO and I haven't touched the NHS yet!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts