Not enough Plug Sockets In My Van

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a 2008 Ace Award Nightstar but have found out it only has 3 240v plug sockets, the one at the front for the tv is fine but I want to plug my sky box in as well I end up pluging sky box into kitchen plug, this leaves one spare socket in the whole van but with laptop phone charger computer console for kids and so on I am well short of sockets.

My question is can I put one of those 3 way sockets into each socket to have more flexability providing the ampage is not exceeded the tv nd sky box do not pull much power and neither does the laptop or phone charger.

Any help or advice would be great,

Ian

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To run all the low wattage equipment, I use an extension cable with 4 sockets wired into one of the 230v junction boxes.

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi RogerL

Thanks for that, I can't understand the lack of sockets in this day and age its not like it would cost the earth to put another two or three in the van.

Ian

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mate

Know how you feel, we have a 07 swift, samem problem.

We tend to us an extension lead with 4 sockets, but make sure the items plugged in are all low powered items, the extension leads are only 5 amp fully un-wound.

There is another answer instal more sockets, I am going to fit an additional 2 sockets, when I get round to it.

Having had a problem with the brother in laws van 2 weeks ago, I had to replace the mcb controling the sockets, to find they were wired in a spur fashion, i.e cable to the first socket then linked to the next then the next, he has 4 sockets plus one on the outside of the van. Not the right way to wire sockets up.....

Regards

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

On our previous van we also only had 3 single sockets, 1 for the tv, one for the kitchen and 1 in the rear dinette.

We wanted to us lamps and chargers so we bought 3, 3way adapters from wilkinsons, they were 69p each.

If we only had 10 amp EHU then we did have to watch what we were using, but the amount of times we would have to unplug something to power something else was rediculous !

Our current van ( challenger 500) has 5 sockets, 3 of which are double, I don't know whether these must have been bought as an option when the van was new because many other vans i look at don't have this many sockets.

Hope this helps

Ian

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian (Swift)

Great Plan forgot about lamps will head over to wilko's later for 69p can't grumble. Double sockets seem a very sensible idea will keep an eye on this for next van, would be very interested to see at which point you get more sockets in a van being our van is a five berth and only one plug in each bedroom seem's very tight or is this just a ace and swift thing.

Ian.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

Our van has three single sockets - one at floor level, one in the kitchen area and one in the lounge area. We find it is only the latter one that needs extending, so I have shortened a four way extention lead to about six inches (cut plug off, shorten cable, refit plug). We can then plug in the TV and Satellite box (we have to do this at home anyway because there are never enough sockets for TV, video, DVD etc., same as for computers)and there are still enough outlets for phone chargers, shaver chargers, etc. The plug on the extention lead has a 3 amp fuse, so will protect against overload. The kettle plugs into the kitchen socket, and laptop or vacuum cleaner, when used, into the floor level one.

Hope this helps

Keith

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian,

our previous van was also 5 berth and that only had 3 sockets, our new van is 4 berth and has 5 sockets, really the manufacturers should put more sockets in for more berths.

Our previous van was an Avondale so it can't just be ace and swift problem.

As your van is brand new it might be worth contacting your dealer to see how much it would cost to fit additional sockets.

It's a bit annoying that you have paid probably over

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Keithj and Ian (Swift)

Yes that maybe the way to go keith great advice, I think your right Ian after spending over 10k on a van it does seem a bit daft you have to run cables which look awful on the floor just so you can plug esential stuff in, everything else in our van's have moved with the times i.e microwave ipod adapter for your stereo electric flush toilet and so on, yet three sockets, who thinks of these thing's. ?????????

Ian.

Nov 30, 2007
Visit site
Jesus Christ,cant beleive the amount of electronic stuff people take with them when caravanning. Might as well stay at home no shortage of sockets then.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
hi ian

our elddis van had 3 sockets, one near the floor, one by the sink and one buy the lounge area. hubby put in double socket under the tv rest with an aerial socket next to it. he also put in a satellite socket hidden away at the top of the window behind the pelmet by the tv rest. so all leads are hidden and releases the worktop for other use. he also put a socket in the bathroom for obvious reasons. this works well for us when on an ehu site.

sian

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Ian,

When we order a new caravan we always spend some time sitting in one of the same model and work out exactly how many extra sockets we want and where we want them fitting. Our dealer fitted two extra ones in our 2007 Swift Conqueror.We always find a minimum of 5 is needed. Our salesman, who we have dealt with for many years,always says "lets go and sit in the caravan and work out where you want your extra sockets", usually before we have mentioned them to him.

Hamer.

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Really great topic and very intresting glad to find out I was not the only one scratching my head with regard to lack of sockets. I wish someone who represents the main company's could explain the lack of sockets and the lack of thought in these layouts, why if there is space only put a single socket, its hard to find a single socket in any modern house so why should it be any different in our home away from home.

Many Thanks to you all.

Ian

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Lack of sockets is easy to explain - not everyone needs more than three.

We're all different in our requirements - thank goodness no-one else is like me - thank goodness I don't have to be like others.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
RogerL,

The solution is simple.

If all caravans had 5or6 sockets those who needed 5 or 6 would have them to use. Those who only needed 3 would only need to use 3.

Everyone would be satisfied.Extra cost would be minimal, compared with the cost charged by dealers.

Personally i would prefer to have the extra ones fitted exactly where i want them fitted. We all have different needs.

Hamer

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hamer - that's a one-sided solution!

It means the expense, and weight, would be incurred unneccessarily by some caravanners.

If you applied the same logic to all equipment manufacturers would only build expensive, heavy, fully equipped caravans despite the obvious demand for cheaper, lighter caravans.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
RogerL,

How much would two sockets weigh and cost at the point of manufacture?--not much.

From my experience caravanners want more equipment and luxury.If they want extras they have to accept the increase in weight.

I find people are taking a lot more electrical equipment on holiday than say 10 years ago.As i said earlier we all have different needs.

Hamer

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

I think the general problem here is the lack of thought. I understand what you are all saying, The thing is in most houses you would have double sockets placed in many rooms around the house, you don't necessary use them all to capacity but the option is there for people to do so at will. In our van's this option is not even available from the outset and yes with more and more electrical equipment to make life easier it would be sensible to have the means to use it. I would sugest a min. amount of 6 sockets or at least blank plates so could be easily upgraded by yourself at a later date, the last thing you want to do on your shiny new van is get the saw out, for such little expense I think this could be rectified in no time, please take this topic on board all you designers of future van's.

Ian

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Good Topic, I fitted 2 extra sockets in the van a month ago, The van is not on a ring main, its just 1 added onto another and so on, which dosnt go back to the fuse box. This could explain why sometimes the internal trip will go as too much voltage is going through to too many apliances.

Just added wire onto tv socket and positioned the extra socket on the bed base wall and added wire onto the the electric hob and trailed that on to the front of the van.

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Although it is straight forward to install a new socket. I would still recommend a qualified person alters your wiring. I'm not to sure how you would stand with your insurance if for some reason there was an electrical fault which maybe caused a fire inside the van. It is not the voltage which trips the caravan MCB it is the current flowing through the cabling to the equipment plugged in. Adding extra sockets is fine as long as you don't overload your system to more than 16A which is normally your site supply.

Regards

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All electrical work regarding mains voltage must be certified as being satisfactory by a qualified and registered electrical contractor as for any work carried out in a house otherwise the insurance would be void. Part P of the current Building Regulations must be conformed with even though it is a caravan and not a building under consideration. Same applies as for work on gas fittings/appliances - approved gas installer.

Nov 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

I would like to say a big thankyou for all your input in this subject it does seem from most of your posts that a few more sockets would not go a miss, I think I am in the same boat as most of you when I will have to look at placing a few more sockets in my van in the next few month's, and yes I will seek advice on this so it is carried out in a profesional manner.

Ian

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Having had a problem with the brother in laws van 2 weeks ago, I had to replace the mcb controling the sockets, to find they were wired in a spur fashion, i.e cable to the first socket then linked to the next then the next, he has 4 sockets plus one on the outside of the van. Not the right way to wire sockets up.....

Writing as a Part P approved electrician there is nothing wrong with wiring sockets like this as long as the circuit breaker trip current is less than the cable's current capacity, if you have changed the mcb for one of higher value, then the cable may now be getting overloaded.

ie From the 16th edition wiring regs, a 2.5mm2 two core cable can carry up to 27A when clipped direct to a surface, in theory you could connect any number of sockets to this cable as long as the cicuit breaker supplying the cable is rated at less than 27A (20A is usual for a 2.5mm spur circuit)When the cable is wired as a ring circuit there are effectivly two cables supplying each point and the capacity is doubled such that a 2.5mm ring circuit could carry up to 54A but a 32A breaker is used to protect the circuit.

The sockets in caravans are frequently rated at less than 13A for various reasons, if you overload the socket, the MCB should trip before any damage occurs. if the socket is rated at 10A there is nothing wrong with plugging in a series of 4 way adaptors to run a dozen or more low power items as long as the plug in the socket has no more than a 10A fuse fitted.

The problems that have occurred due to overloaded sockets have happened when the cube type adaptors have been used which have no integral fuse, allowing a number of high power items to run off one socket. There's nothing wrong with two high power items plugged into a double socket, the problem is that the pins of a 13A plug are only designed to carry 13A safely, but even then a worn socket can cause problems, I bet everyone here has unplugged a heater at some time to find that the plug has got hot due to poor connections in the plug or between plug and socket, in which case it is time to replace the plug and/or socket!.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Garfield - a caravan's input is limited to 16A because of the rating of the standard hook-up cable - most caravans have a 10A mcb and a 5A mcb with the circuits distributed accordingly.

To talk of 54A capability, in the caravan context, is irrelevant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts