Not permanent caravanning?

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was just reading another post regarding someone living sort of full time in the caravan, I'm going to be doing much the same thing probably from the middle(ish) of November, not a good time to be moving into the caravan for maybe 3 months but unavoidable as we've sold our house and bought a place in need of full refurb, might have more questions but first couple to be going on with, I can never remember which gas for using in cold temperatures? I'm going to have the aqua roll piped straight from the outside tap at the house using the float type valve, what's best way of stopping it freezing, I'm thinking of sitting the Aqua roll in some sort of box with polystyrene or similar all around it, thoughts? Last where's a good place to put the Christmas tree and how do I let Santa know we are in the caravan?
BP

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
You need propane for the winter month's and if you are going to pipe water strait to your aquaroll try to make the pipe as short as possible and use some pipe lagging to insulate the pipe. ;) and if you can make an insulated box for the aquaroll to sit in all the better

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, If you are going to be living in it for a long period of time and it wont be travelling, then could you install a big onboard tank of some description, so the water will be at a warmer temperature.
Good luck with the refurb anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello BeePee

There are several predictions that we might be in for a rather cold winter, so I don't envy your choice to use the caravan.

However I think you should seriously consider your water supply very carefully. Good insulation around the tank and the supply pipe is essential. You might consider this type of product look up on ebay iten number

to ensure your water does not freeze. Any excess of teh cable should be put around the "aquaroll" to help stop that from freezing.

We used a similar cable on an insulated overhead pipe to provide water to a development facility in a separate building. It worked brilliantly, until the cleaner unplugged it (despite it being marked do not turn off) for the vacuum cleaner and didn't put it back.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We lived in our caravan for 18 months (2 winters) whilst we built our house in S W France. Temperatures got down to -15 at night. If it's really cold you'll have to keep the heating on all night 'cos most of the internal water pipes run against the outside wall. We had an onboard tank which never froze and we always bought the Aquaroll in at night. Make sure you've got a spare gas bottle, we changed to a bigger domestic size bottle rather than the normal caravan size one.

Christmas trees can go on the front shelf, santa will always find you.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick comment on the type of low wattage electric cable that wraps around water pipes, and keeps them from freezing.....

We have been using these in our stables for the past 15 or so years and with very satisfactory results..... the electricity consumed is minimal..... it works out at around 1watt per ft run, so 10ft is about 10watts,

Not only that but the small amount of water in the pipe is gently warmed just sufficiently to warm the horses bit... before putting on his bridle.
(Essential information for all caravanners!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are just off for another 3 weeks in the van so must dash
Regards to all and
Happy Caravanning
paws.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Morning all, thanks for the tips so far, I am going to look in to the heater wire for water pipes as sounds like the way to go, it's like everything else now though when you come to buy anything, your spoilt for choice as there are so many brands to choose from, oh well not got a move date yet so plenty of time.

BP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Morning all, well We've now been using our caravan for the last 8 weeks and I will firstly say I take my hat off to anyone who manages to live full time solely in a caravan, we left behind our comfortable, all mod cons detached 3 bedroom house at the end of November and moved 500 yards down the road into a 2 bed bungalow in need of a full refurb, in some respects it wasn't as bad as expected in others it was oh so much worse, however with the help of more bottles of bleach and other cleaning fluids than I can count we had a lounge we could use, when I say use its somewhere to sit in comfort and there was a working gas fire, initially we totally slated the previous owner and could not believe anyone could live in such conditions, ie lack of central heating, filth, cupboards in the kitchen that I had to clean before I would even store tools in, we found out tho that the previous owner was 99 and has finally gone into care, she lived here from the early 70's never had any heating, never had a tv, was still using an old twin tub washing machine, no carpets, and wouldn't let anyone help with cleaning or maintaining the place so really you have to admire her strength, I thought using the caravan would be relatively easy and having to use it as our kitchen and bedroom only its not been too bad, in fact sleeping has been probably even better than before we moved for myself and her indoors, even the dog never wants to get up in the mornings, I've obviously got it hooked up to electric but when it got colder and had to have the fire on all night to keep warm we found that it was so drying it was uncomfortable so now have an oil filled radiator in there that keeps it toasty without making the air unbreathable, haven't hooked it to mains water so not had the problem I anticipated with pipes freezing, stupidly ran out of gas one evening half way through a meal being cooked, of course it was dark, peeing down and I had to shoot off to local garage for replacement bottle, didn't earn me any brownie points! But things are on the up some what, we've now had central heating for 24 hours and it makes me realise how soft we really are, so wont bore you any more but I will say again to anyone permanent caravanning "well done to you, stay warm, and dry"

BP

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi BP. I know its a bit late now and you using an oil filled radiator.If you wanted to go back to your heating can I suggest leave a bowl full of water in the sink over night time an add some moisture to the air in your caravan.
Just a suggestion
Sir Roger

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts