Novice first time buyer stung by damp

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Before doing anything about the damp, contact another local caravan service agent and get a damp report done with damp percentages on, as depending on the percentage rating of the damp, you will be able establish what work is needed.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree that you need another inspection to get a second opinion and a percentage figure to see just how bad it is. All repair shops are likely to be behind due to the lock down. but possibly a mobile man will be able to fit you in when next in the area, as a damp report will not take long.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
All very odd-this damp report appears a bit pointless-never seen one like this; get a proper one done with percentages before doing anything, not with this technician!

May 2, 2020
Visit site
As others have said get a second opinion also buy yourself a damp meter then you can keep regular checks for damp and if present can be found before much damage is done. Could save you a fortune in long run.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Just to give you a couple of examples I have bought one caravan privately and it turned out to be a first class caravan with no damp but it had one problem that I missed and that was the day that I picked it up when it was throwing it down it had a slight crease about two meters long down one side I did not see this untill a day or so later , I phoned the guy up and he just happened to remember that he went down some narrow lane in Cornwall and caught a fence post , so that was it bought as seen, the first caravan I bought was a 12 foot swift Corniche of a main dealer after my first trip I noticed damp in the toilet fair enough no problem they did a repair job gave it a clean bill of health then I got rid of it, I've not had any damp problems untill now which was a new rubber round the lounge window, my advice to anyone buying a caravan buy a good damp meter and get to know how to use it and when you go to a dealership looking at caravans don't be bothered about waving it under the salesmans nose,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I would second the “buy yourself a damp meter “and “get another opinion”. I recently had a report of 70% damp in our van. ( see my thread Damp...or maybe not). I think the servicing people managed to tip water before measuring as subsequent readings have been normal.
If you really do have damp shop around for quotes for repairs before committing.
Good Luck
mel

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you should be very careful about taking your own damp meter to a caravan dealership.

Damp meters need to penetrate the surface of the material you are checking and in doing so you are creating two holes. Technically that means you are causing damage, and if all and sundry visitors to a dealership were to start to carry out their own damp checks on the dealers vans would be full of holes.

Under no circumstances attempt to do a damp check on a sellers caravan without having first obtained their expressed permission to do so. Failure to get prior permission could result with you being charged with criminal damage.

Reactions: Parksy
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Prof,
You are correct obtain permission first, I think the Police have more on their plate these days than checking for signs of a damp meter being used,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xtrailman
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, even after asking permission and showing him what i was doing, one seller was very unhappy when he saw it left behind two small holes.

Having said that, i wasn't sure whether it was the holes he was worried about or the stupidly high damp reading i got from a slightly discoloured patch under the dinette window.

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a method in using a damp meter and that is not to go stabbing the area being tested where it is plainly obvious and unsightly.
Under window rubbers where the marks will be covered by the window seal.
Inside cupboards where it cannot be seen when the cupboard is opened.
In corners where it is not normally on view .

Angle the pins so that when removed the wall covering can be smoothed back to cover the marks.
Don't be at all surprised to have a very annoyed seller if you leave loads of marks all over the van where they can be seen, and don't be surprised if he or she demands repair at YOUR cost !!!!

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Two small holes were the least of his problems, it was quite obviously very damp.

I could probably have poked my finger through it without much more effort. In all honestly, that particular example was probably the worst instance of a damp caravan that I've encountered (and I've been to the caravan & motorhome auctions at BCA in Nottingham!)

Blatant lies told by the seller and a wasted 120 round trip for me, so don't feel too bad for him

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Two small holes were the least of his problems, it was quite obviously very damp.

I could probably have poked my finger through it without much more effort. In all honestly, that particular example was probably the worst instance of a damp caravan that I've encountered (and I've been to the caravan & motorhome auctions at BCA in Nottingham!)

Blatant lies told by the seller and a wasted 120 round trip for me, so don't feel too bad for him
If the seller was a trader or dealer- report them to trading standards for false or misleading advertising.

In theory, if they were convicted of it you might have a claiming you travel expenses as damages. In practice it's probably not worth it.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Prof,
I won't use the "P" word but I don't want pronk marks all over the inside of my caravan, I don't mind doing to one that I was intending to buy, with permission of course,

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Prof, i suspected a trader masquerading as a private seller.

I tell you what, the number of ropey used caravans i came across, i wouldn't entertain buying one from anything other than a main dealer.

Simply too much risk and so much to lose if you get it wrong.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If I was selling my caravan to someone who wanted to do their own damp check with a meter, I would show them the previous damp survey and let them check the same areas.
You dont go stabbing the outside of cupboard doors, it the hidden areas, you use.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Prof, i suspected a trader masquerading as a private seller.

I tell you what, the number of ropey used caravans i came across, i wouldn't entertain buying one from anything other than a main dealer.

Simply too much risk and so much to lose if you get it wrong.
I've bought damp caravans from both dealers and privately before using a damp meter.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If I was selling my caravan to someone who wanted to do their own damp check with a meter, I would show them the previous damp survey and let them check the same areas.
You dont go stabbing the outside of cupboard doors, it the hidden areas, you use.

I would do the damp test myself with them watching using a Protimeter Mini Moisture Meter I've had for ten years now, at the time of purchase it was the same meter as my dealer used.

My Unicorn bought new needed 3 visits to repair damp to the floor, one was a factory repair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts