Nutty names

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I thought all caravanners would have got that! Yes it is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Addams.
42 is the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything"
Well done to all of you who got it right. Those who didn't really should read the book.
And why is my van called 42? because going away in it is the answer to everything!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
I thought all caravanners would have got that! Yes it is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Addams.
42 is the answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything"
Well done to all of you who got it right. Those who didn't really should read the book.
And why is my van called 42? because going away in it is the answer to everything!

Taken from Gaffabills link;
It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer, which turns out to be 42. Deep Thought points out that the answer seems meaningless because the beings who instructed it never actually knew what the Question was.
Now what was the question?? :lol: :lol:

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I had to attend a board meeting this afternoon , and asked my colleagues what 42 meant to them. ALL of them looked blank!
I tried explaining about Deep Thought taking 7.5 million years to find the answer, but it went over their heads.
I suspect that I might be asked to leave the Board soon. :unsure:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
I had to attend a board meeting this afternoon , and asked my colleagues what 42 meant to them. ALL of them looked blank!
I tried explaining about Deep Thought taking 7.5 million years to find the answer, but it went over their heads.
I suspect that I might be asked to leave the Board soon. :unsure:

Don't panic! I suggest you arrange the office Christmas party at the restaurant at the end of the universe, You can book Disaster Area for the music. ;)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Prof, I think I would have bet on you being a fan!
btw, in a garage just up the road, there is a Ford Prefect, but its owner didn't know what I was talking about.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Suspect '42' indicates a fan of HHGG (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy) in which 42 is the answer to everything including the meaning of life etc.

After many years on the same campsite in Spain we eventually moved to yet another pitch which turned out to be #42 so we were obviously meant to be there. There are various explanations for the number - one is that it is the number of categories in the catalogue of galaxies and another that if 10 is raised to the power of 42 some number of times it is an estimate of the number of molecules in the known universe. (Please don't ask me to expound - I'm just passing on what i think I head one very enjoyable and boozy evening in company with French amateur astronomers in Provence Alpes one splendid late September evening)

My last but one caravan was called 'Nigella' as last but two was written off in a collision with a hay wagon driven by my good friend Nigel. The current one is called Trevor since it bears a number plate ending TRV like the tow car,

My very first caravan in 1966 was a Sprite Alpine was called 'Best Intent' which was the twisted way of saying that it was much better than the tent in which we had wild camped in Scotland for several previous years.

I see by scrolling down while composing this that many others have given the origin of 42 - well, you can't have too much of a good thing !

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My car is called "Evie B" - can you guess the registration letters? Mrs Gozza's car is "Lady Yum", also registration-related.

We haven't named our caravan, but a charity I'm connected with used to have a lorry for attending shows and things that we called "Bertha", so when we added a caravan to our equipment she became "Berthette"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts