off side awning rail

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Interesting question I was told when I bought a porch awning that it could be utilised to put a porch awning in addition to my full awning.Alas arrived in Spain went to erect and porch awning didn't fit rail...gutted.Await the experts comments.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I strongly suspect that it enables the caravan manufacturers to reduce inventory by only carrying one section instead of two. It is also conceivable that it may be a concession to allow caravans to be built for export to countries with traffic on the right with the minimum of modification.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if you can take the off side rail off and exchange it for the other side if one side gets damaged.

I must admit my door side rail has seen better days but hopefully it will last.

Reg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dean

Your post came between my 2 posts and the comment referred to my first post not yours!

"Or this" means awning on both sides or as we call the Zip "The Shed" which we use on long stays for the bikes,chairs, barbecue.invalid buggy and so far have never been charged extra

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've seen lots of people in France with either sunshades on both sides, an awning on one side, and sunshade on the other, or awnings on both sides. The Dutch couple next to us last year had two awnings, one set up for the dog to live in, and the other for them!

MacHighlander makes a comment: do you no think it would be the wrong shape - I don't think awnings are shaped to fit either side. Most awnings are made by continental manufacturers and fit on what would be the 'wrong' side in this country - so fit just the same on the 'wrong' side of a British van. We have a 'wrong side' van and our normal, bought in Britain, awning fits perfectly.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We use our porch awning on the righthand side of the van as a frost shelter for our water in winter. Amazing how affective a suncamp scenic is at keeping the pipes free of ice. I also use a couple of puffa jackets cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree Steve

But Bailey seem to have gone back into the box with the Pegasus as they only fit the awning rail to one side

That was one factor in our choosing the Senator instead of the Pegasus

They replied on another forum that it was to save the tooling cost of producing an offside extrusion with awning groove

It seems a big omission to me

There has to be something that can be said about offside rules and understanding !!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use it for a sun shade in France; we also use the one across the front for that as well. Using the shades makes a big difference to the comfort in the van.

Yes Bailey leaving it off the Pegasus [ probably Olympus to?] is a big omission in our view.

Don't buy the tooling cost argument for one moment as with the success of Alu-Tech sales wise they surely have sights set on a bigger market than just the UK? It's not as if it's an extrusion tooling cost its only a rail bending tool cost roof to front] as the same extrusion could fit either side; indeed they have increased cost by having the non awning one at all?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use it for a sun shade in France; we also use the one across the front for that as well. Using the shades makes a big difference to the comfort in the van.

Yes Bailey leaving it off the Pegasus [ probably Olympus to?] is a big omission in our view.

Don't buy the tooling cost argument for one moment as with the success of Alu-Tech sales wise they surely have sights set on a bigger market than just the UK? It's not as if it's an extrusion tooling cost its only a rail bending tool cost roof to front] as the same extrusion could fit either side; indeed they have increased cost by having the non awning one at all?
"bending tool cost [roof to front] as the same extrusion could fit either side"

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Agreed JTQ.

I have worked in the aluminum chassis production industry and have full knowledge of stretch forming aluminium.

The tooling shouldn't be an issue as it would be fairly easy to write both a left and right handed program for the manipulation machine.

We used to form the rails to hold the roof linings in place on jags which is a far more complicated shape than a caravan profile.

I think Bailey might of dropped a clnger here.

I'm going to fit a straight rail to the back of my Abbey 540 to put the porch awning up at the back as a shed. The back panel is solid on our van.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agreed JTQ.

I have worked in the aluminum chassis production industry and have full knowledge of stretch forming aluminium.

The tooling shouldn't be an issue as it would be fairly easy to write both a left and right handed program for the manipulation machine.

We used to form the rails to hold the roof linings in place on jags which is a far more complicated shape than a caravan profile.

I think Bailey might of dropped a clnger here.

I'm going to fit a straight rail to the back of my Abbey 540 to put the porch awning up at the back as a shed. The back panel is solid on our van.

Steve L.
Sounds a good idea

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I mentionned this lack of awning rail on the offside at the dealers earlier and was told that not many people used the offside rail

The only way round it (or one way!) would be to bolt the offside canopy to the van side as our Omnistor is fitted but we don't want to use the offside canopy all the time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I can't see how on the Pegasus

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts