ok enough is enough !!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
What price is HAPPINESS. No matter what the costs are we intend to keep Caravaning. Its in a caravaners blood , we started in a sprite 400 35 years ago,totally new to us but took to it like a duck to water . The following year we went on our Honeymoon, YES you've guessed it , in the sprite . Abbey wood site in London was the destination , lovely , squirels running over the roof, winds blowing , foreign motorhomes , leaves rustling ,it was November , opening only the bottom half of the stable door and peeing outside -------- arrh MEMORIES . As we progressed changing the van and having children always loving it in the caravan , no mod cons only a foot pump for the sink cold water , curtains that didn't close properly , no loo - just quick legs to run , poor battery lights , hugging each other for warmth , horrible nylon sleeping bags ------- arrh MEMORIES .Then caravans slowly getting more modern , electric cold water footpump , bathroom compartment --- WITH sink , fitted gas fire --- cor luxury , carpets , 12v tv -- that you watched whilst the picture got smaller and smaller ( plus it was the only illumination, to conserve power ) , and loving every caravan minute , the kids thinking its a wild adventure ,------ arrh MEMORIES . Now its a van with all mod cons and just the two of us , but always remembering the past , present and future . CARAVANING/CARAVANERS .Its who we are , who we were , who we are going to be , its our life , our ways , our thinking . How could we give that up no matters what the costs .Seeing the kids beeming faces when you are packing the van , setting off on a journey with butterflies in your tummy , have we remembered the tin opener , were's the dogs lead , just stopping to check the vans tyres , oops forgot to lock the fridge , ------ arrh MEMORIES. The same as has been said earlier , that time reading a book before sunset , having a barbie on into the darkness with just a candle lamp on the table and fellow caravaners coming over and chatting , laughing and joking , spotting shooting stars , thinking of tunes with colours in them , and all the time you and your family are safe/warm and happy , ------- arrh MEMORIES . I could go on all day but these are just some of the reasons that we and a lot more caravaners will just keep going on and on and on and on .I just hope you are one of them ! ----- arrh ----- STEVE

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard

Don't worry about your purchase of a 'van - it is the best thing you could do. Having been caravanners for 30+ years - starting in a tent, having children then now just the two of us, it is a great way to holiday.

When you pull on to a site you immediately feel you have something in common with everyone else already there. It is up to you how you want to play things but generally people are very friendly and love to chat, and that, for us, is one of the best parts.

Our children are now grown up with children of their own, but they have such great memories of caravanning life and would love to follow suite. Get your children involved in the jobs and you WILL enjoy your time together and no you don't need to spend on the best of everything - our best purchase these days is a disposable barbeque (far better taste than gas which we had in the past). It is being outside in lovely countryside enjoying simple things as mentioned by earlier posts, so relax, and look forward to some great times ahead.

Chris

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I am also fed up with people scare mongering about the demise of caravanning. We as a family are relatively new to caravanning, we purchased an Abbey Vogue 495 last year and during our first year had a wonderful time, regardless of the weather! I am also fed up with reading posts on the CO2 debate, the weight of new caravans and people referring to 'gas guzzlers' usually tagged onto 4x4's.

We decided on the Abbey after visiting several caravan dealers, we looked at our needs (a family of four - children aged 4 and 6, we also looked at the best deals on offer and the Abbey won hands down for us at the time. Started reading the posts on the forum and Practical caravan and law and behold we have done several big mistakes (according to the few!) we purchased new, a fixed bed, a microwave (the shame of it) and a large caravan! or a 'mobile palace' LOL

Then on to the tow car we needed a diesel and auto, first choice Volvo XC90- only to find that we'd be lynched by the tree huggers due to the CO2. Looked at the other available choices and went for a Freelander2 Band F (offset my CO2 for three years - money actually goes to an independent organisation that will actually plant trees with my money NOT buy a kitchen for their second home from John Lewis) but still 400NM of torque and heavy enough to be safe. (80% for newbee)But now any 4x4 is being referred to as a Chelsea tractor - I live in rural Wales with a non existent public transport system, and during the Winter months have a high risk of flooding or snow, or 'gas guzzlers'- funny one that, since I have yet to find someone to explain to me what exactly that means!(20/30/40/50mpg)?

Before anybody starts about 'we need to save the planet' and 'oil is running out tomorrow' I am an Environmental Consultant and yes I agree that we need to change the way we live, but as stated by the sensible people on this forum - Taxing us to the hilt in 'green tax' is not the answer, why hasn't the Government set up an independent body to oversee the distribution of this 'green money'? - because it will not find it's way into environmental causes.

Regardless of everything else in a short time myself and my family have fallen in love with caravanning,we are eagerly looking forward to our first trip next week and the many more during the year - our adventure trip as the children like to say - and I for one would not contemplate giving it up, if diesel does go up and if road pricing goes ahead, I will simply travel at night through back roads, stay in one place longer and holiday closer to home.

Feel a lot lighter after that LOL. Not sure if it should be in this post, but please let's not give in to the minority who would like to see caravans gone.

P.S can we all pray for nice weather for the Bank Holiday!! not that it will dampen my spirits being Grand Slam winners.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
What price is HAPPINESS. No matter what the costs are we intend to keep Caravaning. Its in a caravaners blood , we started in a sprite 400 35 years ago,totally new to us but took to it like a duck to water . The following year we went on our Honeymoon, YES you've guessed it , in the sprite . Abbey wood site in London was the destination , lovely , squirels running over the roof, winds blowing , foreign motorhomes , leaves rustling ,it was November , opening only the bottom half of the stable door and peeing outside -------- arrh MEMORIES . As we progressed changing the van and having children always loving it in the caravan , no mod cons only a foot pump for the sink cold water , curtains that didn't close properly , no loo - just quick legs to run , poor battery lights , hugging each other for warmth , horrible nylon sleeping bags ------- arrh MEMORIES .Then caravans slowly getting more modern , electric cold water footpump , bathroom compartment --- WITH sink , fitted gas fire --- cor luxury , carpets , 12v tv -- that you watched whilst the picture got smaller and smaller ( plus it was the only illumination, to conserve power ) , and loving every caravan minute , the kids thinking its a wild adventure ,------ arrh MEMORIES . Now its a van with all mod cons and just the two of us , but always remembering the past , present and future . CARAVANING/CARAVANERS .Its who we are , who we were , who we are going to be , its our life , our ways , our thinking . How could we give that up no matters what the costs .Seeing the kids beeming faces when you are packing the van , setting off on a journey with butterflies in your tummy , have we remembered the tin opener , were's the dogs lead , just stopping to check the vans tyres , oops forgot to lock the fridge , ------ arrh MEMORIES. The same as has been said earlier , that time reading a book before sunset , having a barbie on into the darkness with just a candle lamp on the table and fellow caravaners coming over and chatting , laughing and joking , spotting shooting stars , thinking of tunes with colours in them , and all the time you and your family are safe/warm and happy , ------- arrh MEMORIES . I could go on all day but these are just some of the reasons that we and a lot more caravaners will just keep going on and on and on and on .I just hope you are one of them ! ----- arrh ----- STEVE
Thats the stuff steve, memories.........

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Blimey John Boy0h from rural Wales, things were looking up, then you mentioned the rugby.

Anyway Rugby, Football, Cricket, Tennis, whats that all about, I hear the English junior underwater hockey team are looking promissing.

By the number of Caravans going down the M5 yesterday and today, I think half the Caravan population of the country have given the Chancellor a big thumbs down and are getting out there to enjoy the promiss of some fine weather this week.

Hopefully the Sun will shine on rightous next week end as well.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
millions are being invested in airport terminals etc,they cant think there is 10 years of oil reserves so I think my 14 grand for Indiana is safe.A holiday costing say 5K for florida is completely written off on return,have still got the van after holiday

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to agree with the majority. We have been caravanning from over 20 years and still get great enjoyment from it.

Granted we only go about 30 miles up the road to a CL for a weekend break but it is great to sit in the awning in an evening and all you hear is silence.

On our summer break we always go to England ( not all Scots hate the English)and as you can imagine it is quite some journey. We break the journey by stopping a couple of nights in a site and take great pleasure in meeting other caravanners.

I can honestly say caravanning beats package foreign holidays hands down and as long as the body is able we will carry on.

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
I LOVE MY CARAVAN - there must be Romany in my blood somewhere! I have been caravanning since 6 years old and love the freedom, the open spaces and the exploring that we do as a family.

My daughter is 16 now and still brings friends away with us for weekends or holidays and she has shown no signs of not wanting to come with us this weekend! We quite often don't go very far from home but we still class it as a break away. I discovered many years ago that life is very tough and doesn't make you smile often but as caravanning definitely makes us smile long may I continue.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm where to begin.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I win the lottery, apart from paying off various mortgages.I will buy a bigger and better caravan so that we can carry on escaping from the rat race in the way WE ENJOY MOST.

Caravanning.

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
Me and the wife just like the freedom of not having to go for meals at set times as you do in hotels and to be able to come and go where and when we like and when we pop our clogs we are going to bequeeth our 'van to Jeremy Clarkson :0)

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I think the scare mongerers of that period have been PROVED absolutely wrong , thank goodness . Its more popular now than its ever been .
The only change with me is one of WE has unfortunately passed on , so now its me and my new lady friend , and she loves caravanning .

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Several recent posts have resurrected posts from 6 years ago. Somebody must be bored whilst away in the van and it's raining or at home with time to spare because the van has been laid up for the winter. :) :( ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Several recent posts have resurrected posts from 6 years ago. Somebody must be bored whilst away in the van and it's raining or at home with time to spare because the van has been laid up for the winter. :) :( ;)

I agree Sir WC. At least Sir Deli Dave started it. £5000 to Florida :silly:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The search engine must be working overtime :lol:
Whenever one of these very old posts pops up on my email alert my finger is twitching on the delete and ban buttons as I hasten to check to see if a spam merchant has bypassed our filters. :woohoo:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
rosies said:
Just thought it would be nice to have an update on this thread . But I see some members have such a busy life that it annoys them .
Six and half years on is a long time.
Why not start a new more current thread? I don't detect any animosity just a massive time lapse.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I've just read a couple of the first posts, sitting outside in the last bit of daylight, something me and the Mrs both enjoy 'together' . These are what attracts me but albeit with a dog and youngest daughter. Worrying about fuel prices going up. Talking caravan techno jargon and understanding it with the site next door neighbour Well maybe I'm a TOG already but then maybe things haven't changed much over the years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts