omega good towcar?

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Is a 2003 vauxhall 2.2 petrol Omega a good towcar,although it has 95000 on the clock it is in excellent condition and has a FSH, van is a Sterling Emerald 1209 kg?

Ken

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
hi ken

i used to tow with my dads 2.5 petrol omega auto[98 s reg with about 90k miles]with no problems at all.it used to tow his sterling topaz [approx 1250kg]very well,shouldnt have any problems.

cheers

dave

Feb 22, 2007
Visit site
Hello.

I towed for eight years with a 2.5 auto estate that was nearly new when I bought it. No problems at all-very stable but did like a drink when towing. Then used a Range Rover-no where near as stable. Have now bought a nine year old 3-litre Omega Elite estate after looking at many two-three year old Volvo D5's-they just didn't have the feel of the rear wheel drive Omega and for the price of the Volvo I could have bought eight Omega estates with the same mileage. As far as I am concerned the Omega was (is) a very underated motor.

May 10, 2005
Visit site
We had a 2002 2.2 petrol omega estate for 6 years. It was a fabulous car. It was a very reliable stable tow car and pulled our 1300kg van without any problems at all. Trouble free but as others have said, rather thirsty when towing.

Trisha

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
We had a '99 2.0L Omega Estate for 3 years, with which we towed a '92 twin-axle Lunar Delta 560/5 (Vans were a lot lighter then, the Lunar being only about 1350kg MTPLM) As others have said one of the best towcars, although the 2.0 engine was a touch underpowered, both solo and towing. I used to get about 20mpg towing, and around 30mpg solo. Gallons of space in the back too, for all your clobber. Probably one of the biggest wagons made.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My present Omega is my third, and I have stuck with it because it is simply such a brilliant towcar, as well as a comfortable general vehicle. Prior to this we always towed with Volvos (240 and 740). I have had a 2 litre, a 2.3 litre, and currently a 2.6 litre, all petrol engines, all automatics. Of the three, the 2.3 was my favourite, but that was written off when someone ran into the back of it in fog. My current vehicle now has 105K on the clock, but went through an MOT recently without a problem.

The Omega is not the most economical car on the road, but on the other hand, they are available at bargain prices, so what you save on the cost of the car, you can put towards fuel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts