Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just been to collect our caravan from the dealers after its first service. When we booked it in ten months ago the price as displayed in the service area was £165 for a twin axle. Our debit card statement will let us know that we paid £247 for the work.

That's nearly a hundred pounds more than it cost to service the car, and they didn't charge for the water filter (£18) as they forgot to install it so gave it us for free. That would have been a bill for £265. I know these places have to make a profit, but next time I'm taking a sharp knife with me just in case they want blood as well!

How much do the rest of us pay for servicing?

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I had a similar experience in October Lol when I took my van in for its first service, mine is a single axle and the guy behind the counter relieved me of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They get away with it because of a lack of competition and because to keep the van in warrenty you must have it serviced by a franchised dealer - and in some cases by the one who actually sold the van.

I got charged approx.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Colin it's not strictly true that the caravan be serviced by the supplying dealer, not in my case anyway.

The Explorer group specify that the service must be carried out by "an authorised Explorer group retailer or service centre"

The problem being that dealers are often reluctant to service caravans that they haven't supplied.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will be having my bailey bordeaux serviced at north staffs caravans the price is clearly shown in the service reception and will be quoted to you on request,I think it is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We received a flyer from our dealers with the following offer valid until 31st Jan.2006.Offer is limited to caravans purchased from the dealer.

Single axle usual price =

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had my Bailey Pageant Bordeaux Serviced last month at M&M Leisure in Haverhill, which is an approved caravan workshop. They quoted me

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I wrote my article about servicing prior to reading this and I think that it is time magazines like PC took up the issue on behalf of all caravanners.

I had my 4 x 4 services last month which is basically an oil change and the wheels removed to check brakes and hubs. Cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian, I think you will be disappointed if you think PC will help. They depend upon the services of dealers for loan of vans, advertising etc. I find that they push the line that servicing of modern van is complex, that electric, gas, and the running gear are safety critical and best left to the 'experts'.

They point out the risks associated with buying vans at shows and then finding dealers with the same franchise, nearer home, refusing to service them as they can barely service their own customers.

The warranties given for water ingress compound the problem and lock you into the dealers servicing for 5 - 6 years so they know they have captive custom.

If my home area is anything to go by then the problem can only get worse. When I started caravanning 20 years ago there were at least 6 independant dealers within a 30 mile radius who made a living out of servicing vans and carrying out run of the mill repairs on Carver heaters etc. I think that now in Dorset there are only one or two and their service facilities remind me of the 1940/50's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If everyone thinks servicing is expensive, you must agree that the "on the road" charges added to the price of a new van are even more ridiculous. You can often pay another

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We know what they DON'T service, but what do they service. Any one got a list? I doubt if they bother checking for damp and it is unlikely you could prove that they did or didn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We know what they DON'T service, but what do they service. Any one got a list? I doubt if they bother checking for damp and it is unlikely you could prove that they did or didn't.
Ian, I was provided with a list of checked items for the service, you should get one too.

Hi, all,

glad to see that people are speaking out regarding expensive service charges. This is a comment I have been making for a few years now. I have written to both club Magazines and p/c. Making the points highlighted in most of these postings, but judging by the negative response ie. Non bublishing of letters and no reply. I assumed that it was just me. I currently own a two year old Callenger 490 LSE. In March it's Annual Service Cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Approved "Service Centres" can be found on

www.jones-vening.co.uk . These Centres do not necessarily sell caravans, only do servicing, mods, and repairs. They have to give value for money, and do a good job, or you and I won't go back. I have recently had a full service, some accessories fitted (aerial, water tank) and warranty work. They claim back from the manufacturers. If 'Mr Moderator' doesn't mind I will name Autovan Services, Wimborne, Dorset. Thoroughly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts