OMG

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin it's not strictly true that the caravan be serviced by the supplying dealer, not in my case anyway.

The Explorer group specify that the service must be carried out by "an authorised Explorer group retailer or service centre"

The problem being that dealers are often reluctant to service caravans that they haven't supplied.
Coachman too seem happy so long as it's an NCC Approved workshop

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We picked up our caravan from its service last Saturday and went away for the Saturday night. I was given a check list of everything checked but I doubt very much if it was done by someone actually working on the caravan. I think all the tick boxes were ticked by some desk wallah.

My caravan has shock absorbers fitted and the person who completed the check list marked it as n/a! This makes me wonder if they checked under the caravan as I also specifically requested them to check the rear off side steady as it was sticking. Guess what it is still sticking. Neither one of the wardrobe doors which I specifically brought to their attention was rectified. Prior to dropping off the caravan my spouse vacuumed the interior, but they didn't even have the decency to wipe or clean their feet prior to entry. The omnivent fan squeaks so loudly it is impossible not to hear it, but somehow I don't think they bothered to switch it on. They also marked that the water filter was checked but the caravan does not have a water filter!

When we left the caravan with them, the gas was turned off, but on collection the gas was on, something I didn't realise until we arrived on site and I went to turn the gas on. The mains switch was in an off position and when I switched it on all the lights in the van came on. The fridge was switched to the 12v position. Obviously someone too lazy to switch off the lights and fridge individually. I will be contacting this dealership tomorrow and will be requesting an itemised bill from them to find out how they arrive at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We picked up our caravan from its service last Saturday and went away for the Saturday night. I was given a check list of everything checked but I doubt very much if it was done by someone actually working on the caravan. I think all the tick boxes were ticked by some desk wallah.

My caravan has shock absorbers fitted and the person who completed the check list marked it as n/a! This makes me wonder if they checked under the caravan as I also specifically requested them to check the rear off side steady as it was sticking. Guess what it is still sticking. Neither one of the wardrobe doors which I specifically brought to their attention was rectified. Prior to dropping off the caravan my spouse vacuumed the interior, but they didn't even have the decency to wipe or clean their feet prior to entry. The omnivent fan squeaks so loudly it is impossible not to hear it, but somehow I don't think they bothered to switch it on. They also marked that the water filter was checked but the caravan does not have a water filter!

When we left the caravan with them, the gas was turned off, but on collection the gas was on, something I didn't realise until we arrived on site and I went to turn the gas on. The mains switch was in an off position and when I switched it on all the lights in the van came on. The fridge was switched to the 12v position. Obviously someone too lazy to switch off the lights and fridge individually. I will be contacting this dealership tomorrow and will be requesting an itemised bill from them to find out how they arrive at

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Friend of mine played two dealers one against the other over two brands and their quality. Sale went to the dealer who offered two years free servicing.

When he collected the van the salesman who got his boss to agree and put the deal in writing said "well servicing cost's him B A really, thanks I've sold three other vans with the same deal now"!

Caravans have few moving parts compared to a car, and those that move are quite basic, so if the things are screwed together well, why does serving cost so much?

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Keith, when they miss the obvious then you start wondering about whether checks had been done. The dealer eventually admitted that the check sheet was complete afterwards. How on earth can you miss shock absorbers if you are taking off the wheels? Also Lunar have not had water filters for soem time so I wonder even more!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keith, when they miss the obvious then you start wondering about whether checks had been done. The dealer eventually admitted that the check sheet was complete afterwards. How on earth can you miss shock absorbers if you are taking off the wheels? Also Lunar have not had water filters for soem time so I wonder even more!
Hi Ian,

I am curious as to what make (Lunar?)year and model you have.What is the issue with shock absorbers ?

G

I had my 2yrs old Pageant Vendee seviced today by Barrons NW it come to

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dave I had shock absorbers fitted to improve stability. Although I have a twin axle if I was ovetaking large trucks, it tended to dance a bit. This also occured if being overtaken by large vans. That problem no longer exists and I doubt whether I would require a stabliser any more as it is rock solid on the ground. A good investment all round!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts