On the road with a caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
A lot of them are rubbish but some caravaners have to reverse. Too many cars, Motorhomes or those towing will go past a passing place even though they have room to stop in it. I make them reverse.

I got stuck in a Glen Coe due to a fatal accident closing the road. Had to turn my car+caravan around. Narrow road but opposite a pull in - thought I'd give it a go rather than disconnect and manually turn around. 30 point turn later I made it - gave the others in the queue something to laugh or moan about.
I can see the motor movers saving me in situation like this.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I can see the motor movers saving me in situation like this.
You wouldn't want to use themovers to reverse a few hundred yards on Scottish single track.

There are lots of stretches where the sight lines are very good and you can see several passing places ahead but too many drivers just don't think that far ahead and drive on past several convenient passing place despite something coming the other way.

The other problem is drivers dawdling along, enjoying the scenery oblivious to vehicles behind - nothing wrong with dawdling, I do it a lot when solo in Scotland, but drivers must use their mirrors and pull over for faster vehicles.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Where are you travelling from? I always looked at Services via Google Earth which shows caravan/MH areas. But should these be full its quite acceptable to park in the HGV areas too.
Google Earth sounds good. It’s a pity no one has documented this sort of information for A roads and motorways. Maybe they have!

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Another vote for the use of Google Earth - I've always been able to pre-plan rest and refueling stops.

Despite all manner of other vehicles abusing the allocated caravan spaces, be very wary about using coach spaces as many services will issue fixed penallty notices for any non-coaches parked there.

Don't know your route but most motorway services have a 2-hour free parking limit although those operated by Westmorland (Tebay, Cairn Lodge/Happendon and Gloucester) and Cornwall Services on the A30 have a 3-hour free parking limit.
Thanks for that!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Winding back a bit I can say the Glemorangie distillery near Tain is well worth the visit. Leave the car keys with someone else and indulge . The tasting room is an experience in its own right. You pays your money and taste what you want. One of the best late mornings I’ve ever spent🥃🥃🥃🥃

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Winding back a bit I can say the Glemorangie distillery near Tain is well worth the visit. Leave the car keys with someone else and indulge . The tasting room is an experience in its own right. You pays your money and taste what you want. One of the best late mornings I’ve ever spent🥃🥃🥃🥃
True, but in general there are very few camp sites that will let you reach it without the car,

TRENDING THREADS