Onboard tanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a new Rallye twin axle with an onboard water tank. Can anyone tell be how these tanks work? If I leave a barrel of water connected up will the system draw water from the barrel once the water in the onboard tank falls below a certain level? Also how do you adjust the water level in the holding tank? Mine overflows - could ask the dealer I suppose but I'm likely to get more sense here!!

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
If in doubt, read the instructions!!! Why do you want a barrel of water? Fill the onboard tank with a watering can...job done! I've used onboard tanks for years and cannot understand why people want to carry another container and a pump to pump it into the onboard tank with hoses and electrical connectors as well. Onboard tanks can be converted to take mains supply if it is available then you don't even need the watering can. KISS (keep it short and simple)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i think you are a bit off brian

the on board water tank on my caravan is a 20 litre holding tank which you can either use in conjunction with the pump ,use the main water pump seperately or put it on auto to use both the tank and pump,when the level drops it automatically fills from the barrell,it does not have a seperate connection.this way you always have 60 litres instead of 40ltrs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
depending on the manufacturer the inboard water tanks on caravans can work differently,the hand book should tell you exactly how it works,as brian has said

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

We also have a twin axle from the Explorer Group and I think it will have the same onboard water system. You have to fill the tank from an outside container by switching the pump to external (ext). When the tank is full you then switch back to the internal (int) pump. You are then able to draw from the tank using the taps. If you wish you can draw from the outside container by switching to ext and turning on a tap. To tell when the tank is full you can just wait until it overflows or set the tank guage which is on the same unit as the battery state guage.

Hope this is of use. Happy travels BarryB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for your reply. DO you mean that the tank does not automatically shut the ext pump off when the onboard tank is full?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
same set up on my van mate. Swithc to ext until tank full, then switch to int. After two overflows, we have an unbreakable rule. When the tank is filling, NEVER WALK AWAY TIL ITS FULL.

Saves loads of time mopping!!!!

Happy vanning mate.

Jimbo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What's the value of an onboard water tank? If you still have to fetch all the water, what's the advantage? To avoid freezing in winter, it's easy to fit an extra inlet in the washroom and keep the water container inside there. If you've got access to a direct mains connection, why use any tank at all?

TRENDING THREADS