Once social distancing restrictions are lifted, do you have plans to hit the road again?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
We were lucky to take our caravan to Kent in March and just after we returned the lockdown was imposed. Our next trip is booked for early July to Derbyshire, I wonder if there's any chance of it happening. We should be in Cornwall right now, but of course that was cancelled, so we re-booked for September. Hoping beyond hope we can go then.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
No plans until August when the plan was to see our daughter in South Wales. Still dubious about making it, but will wait and see.
There is so much oil sloshing around at the moment that I cannot see prices rising unless the chancellor decides to increase his cut.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When my wife no longer needed by the NHS (Nurse) we have a holiday booked in August and like (Ray) i have doubts we will get there..

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hoping to get out as soon as somewhere opens. I see the DG of Caravan Club has written to Prof Whitty, chief medical officer explaining how the club is basically ready to reopen which distancing etc. When we go it will probably be CL/S and temporary holiday sites to start as they tend to have more space. Shan't use the showers etc until we know the virus is under control. Be nice to sit outside with a different view.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We're off on the 2nd June. Checked up this afternoon whether the campsite will be open then only to find that it's already open with some restrictions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lutz
Thats good news. Here there seems a marked move to camping holidays for this summer. One large chain reported a 460% increase in sales compared to this time last year. I would be interested in hearing what restrictions are being used on the campsite that you are visiting. Assume it is in Germany/Austria.

In U.K. the talk is initially opening with facilities not available and only with reduced number of pitches. The former I can understand but the latter doesn’t make too much sense. Normal pitch spacing more than meets the social distancing rules and if people want to get up close then increasing pitch spacing will not stop them. Just looking at queues for supermarkets and garden Centers where people are all standing outside at 2m spacing then go inside to shop and come closer just shows how illogical increased outfit pitch distancing is. It’s a fob when folks can sit on a beach or park for hours on end.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Brittany ferry booked for Bilbao in mid August for journeys to Portugal and Spain, returning mid November. We had resigned ourselves to carrying it all forward until 2021. However, we are now thinking it may still be possible for this year.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Lutz
I would be interested in hearing what restrictions are being used on the campsite that you are visiting. Assume it is in Germany/Austria.

One is asked to respect the 1.5m minimum social distancing requirement and to wear a mask when using the sanitary block. On some sites they have had to cordon off some washbasins and showers in order to fulfil the social distancing requirement, but otherwise things are more or less back to normal. The snack bar was doing business as usual and there were lots of people enjoying a glass of beer. Judging by the numbers of caravans and motorhomes that I saw on the site yesterday (a public holiday) there doesn't seem to be the need to increase spacing between pitches and I couldn't see very many vacant ones.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Driving from Bicester to Milton Keynes today, I spotted a Caravanner towing along the A421, it's an area with very few sites, so woñdering where he / she , were off too. Maybe just heating up the tyres. Or visiting family with a small holding.
Keep safe folk.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Carrying on from Otherclives post above reporting the 460% increase in sales, it has been reported that there is a 443% increase in sales in Cornwall alone, with Devon's increase at 246%.
Now folks bear with me if all these people come down this way, what are they going to do, where are they going?
Hope they bring there life jackets as the South West will sink into the English Channel :ROFLMAO:
I was looking forward to popping across the border into Cornwall and buying two pasties, one for me and one for the seagull's.
But on the basis of the reports I aint going anywhere until we actually see what happens,

A SECOND WAVE MAYBE A COMING.

Stay Safe folks.

Reactions: Hutch
Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi.... we bought our van two weeks before lock down and have never been anywhere in it ..and as it is in storage we have not been able to go and play with it..so to go any where will be brilliant for us

May 11, 2017
Visit site
We slept in ours last night... in the garden! Our daughters loved it :)

Earlier this week we pushed our summer holiday (French) bookings back from July to August. Given the news of the quarantine I suspect they may get cancelled, though the campsites both seemed open to the prospect of postponing to 2021, which we'll do if it comes to it. We always book fully serviced pitches and only really use the site facilities for toilet trips that Daddy won't let us do in the 'van ;) and I'm sure he'll overlook that rule for this year.

I'm thinking about booking for Normandy at October half term now as well. I've seen that some of the French camping companies are running booking schemes where you can cancel with up to a week's notice and not incur any costs.

I think on balance I'd feel safe travelling to France. We take the tunnel so don't get out of the car (or use the 'van loo if needed) so the only times we really stop on long journeys are for fuel (Daddy will wear gloves), food (from the 'van) and an overnight stop... that's the bit I need to get my head around as usually we don't bother going fully serviced for those.

But I'm sure other people have different views. I think we're going to be living with this for quite some time yet....

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In February well prior to Covid 19 we booked a fully serviced pitch on a site in Weymouth for June and paid a deposit. We have now had to change the booking three times and moved it to the week before the school holidays. We obviously do not want to be paying peak rates so have had to change our other plans for after Weymouth. No big deal as we are still around and thankful for the NHS so no complaints. :D

Jun 2, 2020
Visit site
It may still be a while before folks can safely and comfortably hit the open road again for a caravan adventure, but making plans can still be a lot of fun.

Once you're able to hit the road again, how do you plan to celebrate? Will you hit up a new location, just for a different experience, or will you go to a regular spot so you can get caught up with your favorite community of caravaners?

We'd love to hear from you!

For the initial period my intention will be to stay local & celebrate with the seasonal pitch users. Then once some normality returns I fancy touring around Kirkcudbright in Dumfries & Galloway. I worked in this area many years ago and it will be good to go back and see what's changed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When my wife no longer needed by the NMC (NHS ) as a nurse we had booked somewhere late on in August in UK but we will change if it a no go

Hi, thanks for accepting me. I have a ferry booked arriving in Portsmouth on 30th June with a caravan. Does anyone know if there are sites or night stops open . I know we have to self isolate for 2 weeks.
Please no silly replies about the virus, we all know now what we have to do to stop spreading it

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Marilyn
Welcome to the forum.
First of all, please edit your forum name to remove your email address.
The sharing of personal information on our message boards is against forum guidelines.
No UK caravan sites are legally allowed to open at this time.
Sites are hoping to be allowed to open sometime in July but there is no firm information so far.
Overnight camping away from your main home is currently prohibited.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Could try ringing M27 southbound services at Rownham. They will charge for overnight but that’s normal. Alternatively I’ve stopped in Port Solent on the edge of Portsmouth in its maze of roads. But at present you may get an early call from boys in blue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts