Once social distancing restrictions are lifted, do you have plans to hit the road again?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why hefty fine if the OP is travelling home by a direct route? Where we lived until recently it was quite common for HGV, MH and caravans to park up overnight on a perimeter road on the estate. It was on the route to Portsmouth and Poole. There were even the boatie community who lived in beat up old vehicles whilst sorting out their beat up narrow boats on the Kennet and Avon canal. The only time the law seemed to get involved were the DVLA tax vigilantes but they were not police.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Why hefty fine if the OP is travelling home by a direct route? Where we lived until recently it was quite common for HGV, MH and caravans to park up overnight on a perimeter road on the estate. It was on the route to Portsmouth and Poole. There were even the boatie community who lived in beat up old vehicles whilst sorting out their beat up narrow boats on the Kennet and Avon canal. The only time the law seemed to get involved were the DVLA tax vigilantes but they were not police.
I was referring to your comment about the 'early morning call from the boys in blue'.
If the police consider a person to have been camping they might issue an on the spot fine.
I'm not sure about rest breaks while transporting the caravan home or if that's what the OP is doing.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was referring to your comment about the 'early morning call from the boys in blue'.
If the police consider a person to have been camping they might issue an on the spot fine.
I'm not sure about rest breaks while transporting the caravan home or if that's what the OP is doing.
Might be better for the OP to get an overnight ferry with cabin and then have a day time run home.

Reactions: Parksy
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Rang today about increasing my booked holiday on the 1/7, to be told CCC have now changed that to 4/7 as that will be the new start , I hope.
Lucky I rang as would have turned up to closedsite.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Rang today about increasing my booked holiday on the 1/7, to be told CCC have now changed that to 4/7 as that will be the new start , I hope.
Lucky I rang as would have turned up to closedsite.
That will be good news if sites can open for July. We are booked towards the end if July and then late August. However if things should get back to some form of normality in September then our ability to get away will take a nose dive despite being long retired from gainful labours.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if it is true, but has the infection rate in Cornwall increased since the lockdown was partially lifted due to thousands of people visiting the area from afar?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if it is true, but has the infection rate in Cornwall increased since the lockdown was partially lifted due to thousands of people visiting the area from afar?
Dont know if it's specific to Cornwall but the news tonight is saying the "R" number for the whole of the South West has increased, now being at 1, and could possibly have a local lockdown
Bear in mind I think they class the SW area covering from Gloucester, Somerset Devon and Cornwall which in my mind is a huge area.
Thats why I havent booked anywhere yet, see what happens.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dont know if it's specific to Cornwall but the news tonight is saying the "R" number for the whole of the South West has increased, now being at 1, and could possibly have a local lockdown
Bear in mind I think they class the SW area covering from Gloucester, Somerset Devon and Cornwall which in my mind is a huge area.
Thats why I havent booked anywhere yet, see what happens.
The number of infections within the Weston Hospital is thought to have a bearing on the SW figures which are generally very low but sensitive to any new infections. Unlike Germany that publishes daily detailed statistics it’s not possible here to see where the clusters are located and if they are increasing or reducing. But I’m sure our “World beating system” will get to grips with it at some stage.

• Haha
Reactions: Johnb and Beachball
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the R value is it is a broad measure. Figures I saw Friday show a range to 1.1 in SW and NW. Manchester Evening News publishes R value by region daily. (Mayor Andy Burnham asked for it.) Available on their web site. Our world class system will use this to lock down areas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The R number we are given is at best just a statistical estimate, becasue the authorities still do not know how many people are actually infected, nor how many they might have passed it onto, nor how many people are suffering symptoms unless they have been admitted to hospital.

Nor do they know how many people have not been infected but might react badly to the infection if they 're exposed.

The only semi-reliable data we are seeing are the death rates, and even they still do not necessarily reveal all the victims that might have had C19 either as a primary cause or as Comorbidity factor. The problem here is the death when it occurs is usually about 14 days after being infected, so there is an inevitable latency to the figures.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Do we have to turn a good thread into doom and gloom ! Lets all try and look on the bright side and hope for a quick return to normality.
Do what we are asked to do, dont take risks and just hope we get through it! And look to the future.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do we have to turn a good thread into doom and gloom ! Lets all try and look on the bright side and hope for a quick return to normality.
Do what we are asked to do, dont take risks and just hope we get through it! And look to the future.
Whilst we have recently booked two trips out for late July and late August any hope of a quick return to normality is supremely optimistic. Even when (if) the virus abates they after effects will affect life in U.K. and elsewhere for some years to come. Not least the effects on businesses and the undoubted rise in unemployment, especially amongst the young. Health and social care will need re addressing and undoubtedly inflation will rise. Being able to just walk around unfettered by masks or go into shops at will is only the beginning. The uphill climb awaits us. But we’ve been here before and there will be things to enjoy as we move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagakev
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had to cancelled three breaks also got some more breaks booked (But it depends on how long this Coronavirus, how long is a piece of string because my wife (Nurse) is helping out ...:D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As well as different parts of the UK re-opening campsites at different times, there's also likely to be different advice given to the different age/vulnerability groups - while the over-70s aren't as restricted as the extremely vulnerable (those who received letters) the over-70s are likely to face restrictions longer than those of working age. It's the social distancing requirement that's likely to last longest.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As well as different parts of the UK re-opening campsites at different times, there's also likely to be different advice given to the different age/vulnerability groups - while the over-70s aren't as restricted as the extremely vulnerable (those who received letters) the over-70s are likely to face restrictions longer than those of working age. It's the social distancing requirement that's likely to last longest.
I hope that the Clubs don’t age discriminate based on members details. At present being over 70 I’m not facing any more restrictions than my kids or grandchildren. There’s advice and there’s regulations. I’m heeding both but the only restrictions come from my daughter whose a student MHN and watches me like a hawk. :eek:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I hope that the Clubs don’t age discriminate based on members details. At present being over 70 I’m not facing any more restrictions than my kids or grandchildren. There’s advice and there’s regulations. I’m heeding both but the only restrictions come from my daughter whose a student MHN and watches me like a hawk. :eek:

The more people that ignore advice because it's not a regulation/law, the longer the virus threat will last. The UK looks like becoming one of the worst affected countries in the world.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The more people that ignore advice because it's not a regulation/law, the longer the virus threat will last. The UK looks like becoming one of the worst affected countries in the world.
I thought it was already there taking into account population ratio etc?

Reactions: Johnb
Jun 11, 2020
Visit site
hi all booked for france in feb Eurotunnel campsites supposed to be leaving tomo hopfuly get in august or September if borders open

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Can't stop myself checking the beach here. (St Clair next to Le Le Lavandou). We would have been here in about a week from now, camp site 100 meters along a path from the beach. Visited most years for last 40 years or so! Know everyone, current owner was just a lad when we first found the site, all nationalities and everyone knows everyone to some degree. Like being home!
All the summer trip which included Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and France cancelled but - we have booked a CL for mid July and fingers are crossed.
People have asked what is most missed.
I guess we all have similar answers but on a lighter note I am missing standing at the BBQ most nights, glass of red (rose in the South) , maybe chatting to a neighbour of various nationalities and then hitting the bed well "watered" and instantly asleep.
Hey Ho. - It WILL happen again - won't it!

Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Can't stop myself checking the beach here. (St Clair next to Le Le Lavandou). We would have been here in about a week from now, camp site 100 meters along a path from the beach. Visited most years for last 40 years or so! Know everyone, current owner was just a lad when we first found the site, all nationalities and everyone knows everyone to some degree. Like being home!
All the summer trip which included Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy and France cancelled but - we have booked a CL for mid July and fingers are crossed.
People have asked what is most missed.
I guess we all have similar answers but on a lighter note I am missing standing at the BBQ most nights, glass of red (rose in the South) , maybe chatting to a neighbour of various nationalities and then hitting the bed well "watered" and instantly asleep.
Hey Ho. - It WILL happen again - won't it!
i hope so to :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts