Once social distancing restrictions are lifted, do you have plans to hit the road again?

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Create a plan to retire early - it does mean sacrifices during your working life but well worth the effort afterwards - best decision I ever made.

My plan was to receive compulsory redundancy by request in 1999 aged 52, and after two more early retirements I finally kicked the habit in 2006. But do admit at times to missing the social interaction and buzz.

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
We are heading on our well worn route to Moffat Camping & Caravanning Club Site which we use regularly throughout the year. Great site well run and always in good order thanks to the staff who under normal circumstances give all an inviting welcome.

Reactions: CHESHIRECAT
Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Well I/we got the chance in 1996 to get out of the steel industry, as only 53 took some serious thinking about. But made our minds up to give it a go. Applied to CC for a site wardens position, but too late for that year. However needed a couple of more years of NI payments required to get full pension entitlement @ 65, required me to sign on to get stamps paid every fortnight + ÂŁ70 odd quid a week! Which lasted for a year before it became means tested when I lost it for the final year of signing on. But job offer interviews or training courses offered every time had to sign on. Escaped without having to take one, had to battle though! Never looked back have had coming up 25 years retirement now. Had upto 6 months a year away in the van most years. Not rich but we've certainly had a brilliant retirement. Dackering a bit now as 'Father Time' begins to influence things. but what you've had 'they' can't take away from yer!

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
We are heading on our well worn route to Moffat Camping & Caravanning Club Site which we use regularly throughout the year. Great site well run and always in good order thanks to the staff who under normal circumstances give all an inviting welcome.
We've been going every new year for the past 11 years! But nothing will be open yet and are we allowed to cross the border to holiday?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hasn't Storgeon blocked access to border towns by imposing a lockdown? I think Moffat is close to the border? See https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...n-scotland-coronavirus-update-border-lockdown I think we are going to have some very unhappy Scots?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i think you have wait until scotland given the green light .

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about this post! Whiskygolf 1662 probably is living north of the border, its not just us mad english men who visit Moffat we meet quite a few scots when we go up for new year you seem to get a lot of the same faces year after year, little gem is moffat.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I looked at the long term forcast, it said good weather, so booked nothing at all.
Why go now, ? Total madness on the roads, nothing organised, CV irus will only increase, just give the people a chance to revive.
Ok Rant over. Try and enjoy.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Being in the southwest, its been an amazing site to see, caravans, motorhomes and not much else heading down to Devon and Cornwall...

Worrying on one point, we've avoided the worst of the virus so far... But considering most of these would have booked their holidays last year or prior to the lockdown, just shows how dependent these counties are on Torism...

I live in Somerset my plans for my holidays were disrupted by firstly the lockdown, then the theft of my caravan, but after the sorting the insurance, now awaiting to pick my new caravan up on the 16th, I shall be jumping county boarders to Devon for a week test run on the 19th...

Part of the decision, is partly based on where I feel the safest from the virus.... And to I know how I was fortunately enough to land myself on Furlough with HR, I'm kinda of sneaky in a weeks holiday (hubby works as I on the front line) as I know when I leave Furlough me my name will be muck, and to be fair to my colleagues it may be November before I can go away again..

But the hardest bit of sneaky off, has been finding a safe heaven where I can avoid as much as possible, and I don't transfer an high R rating to a low, or find myself heading towards an higher R rating to where I live too.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Well its him who has lifted the lockdown lid off everthing to boost the economy , the big one for me is allowing foreign holidays without quarantine , putting money before lives .
There is also another (pending) issue in my thoughts. But I won't express them.
Bit windy outside here.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well its him who has lifted the lockdown lid off everthing to boost the economy , the big one for me is allowing foreign holidays without quarantine , putting money before lives .

But if those countries have lower rates than U.K., and they do what’s the problem with a foreign holiday. Is it any more risky than a holiday in UK.
Two significant studies have shown that air travel is not a major risk given certain precautions. These have included research into other air and surface borne infections going back a number of years. There had to be movement to get the economy moving as without such moves the future would be absolutely grim as you can’t keep rolling up debt forever expecting younger generations to pay the bill for older folks lives.

Where I would aim criticism is at the number of those folks pictured close together in large numbers as pubs opened. Again reports galore show crowded environments to lead to super spreading. I bet precious few gave names and contact details for tracing.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Clive i'm not against foreign holidays but if we turn back the clock a few weeks you had to isolate for 14 when entering our country, but because people did'nt want to travel abroad and it stopped visitors coming over because of this its conveniently brushed under the carpet . Oh and today another part of spain has gone back into lockdown but it wont stop people boarding planes to visit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive i'm not against foreign holidays but if we turn back the clock a few weeks you had to isolate for 14 when entering our country, but because people did'nt want to travel abroad and it stopped visitors coming over because of this its conveniently brushed under the carpet . Oh and today another part of spain has gone back into lockdown but it wont stop people boarding planes to visit.

It was always stated that the 14 day quarantine would be in place for three weeks and be reviewed by Monday 29 June. When it was lifted finally for Green countries the 3 weeks will have finished. But I personally think it was a measure designed to save the Home Secretary an embarrassing Uturn when it was announced as a “ tough” measure to control our borders from infection, without any or little consultation. Today’s news from Scotland shows that no one has been contacted to ensure that they have maintained their 14 day self isolation. So much for a rigorous approach, even Stanley found a way around the Greek one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts