One job leads to another 🤬🤬

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My faithful EV converted Mountain Bike

Recently poor gear change and chain jumping in 7 th and 8th.
Easy fix I said. New chain Specifically for EV s and new 8 cog gear cluster.

Took me an hour to break the old chain. I forgot the easy fastening links need to be squeezed a bit to release.

Old gear cluster was “welded “ onto the shaft. Took a Herculean effort to undue, fell on floor😥.

Shimano Deraileur was mucky . Cleaned it up to find the “indexing” adjustment screw was loose and out side the thread. No amount of Coercion would get the thread restarted. I could recut the thread but couldn’t find a tap small enough. New unit on order. Arrives Monday £18.00.

That was the end of my afternoon. Not happy.
Rant over😎

Attachments

• IMG_6533.jpeg
    IMG_6533.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6535.jpeg
    IMG_6535.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 8
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My faithful EV converted Mountain Bike

Recently poor gear change and chain jumping in 7 th and 8th.
Easy fix I said. New chain Specifically for EV s and new 8 cog gear cluster.

Took me an hour to break the old chain. I forgot the easy fastening links need to be squeezed a bit to release.

Old gear cluster was “welded “ onto the shaft. Took a Herculean effort to undue, fell on floor😥.

Shimano Deraileur was mucky . Cleaned it up to find the “indexing” adjustment screw was loose and out side the thread. No amount of Coercion would get the thread restarted. I could recut the thread but couldn’t find a tap small enough. New unit on order. Arrives Monday £18.00.

That was the end of my afternoon. Not happy.
Rant over😎
That clogged and dirty gear cluster; needs a bit more regular attention.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Your cassette looks ok to me... I've seen way worse! Be aware that poor shifting at one end or the other (but not all gears) is often the sign of a bent derailleur hanger and new parts might not fix it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use the car and a mechanic. Simpler and less stressful on a Saturday afternoon unless watching the rugby. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Having used a favourite mechanic for many years, this year was a disappointment when the service given was far from ideal. The car passed its' MOT but it was a bumpy ride taking a number of phone calls and finally ready at 6pm on Friday night. Picking it up was a rushed experience when told that it needed a bonnet release cable, while the mechanic was in a rush to shut it? Taking it to a new place [recommended to me] the issue was sorted in a number of minutes, no new release cable needed and was told that this had seized up needed only WD40 Lubricant. Sorry for my rant!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Your cassette looks ok to me... I've seen way worse! Be aware that poor shifting at one end or the other (but not all gears) is often the sign of a bent derailleur hanger and new parts might not fix it.
No 7&8 we’re well worn and beginning to go “hooked”. Clogging up was caused by too much 3 in 1 oil.
Been using this for last year and going forward.
IMG_6539.jpegIMG_6532.jpeg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Do you have to remove the chain and immerse it in wax like with motorbikes in days gone by?
No . It comes out the container like a foam and then semi solidifies. My mum got angry when we heated up our tin of chain lube on her stove!Never mind we used her washing line to let the excess drip off the chain🤪🤪

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the picture I’m currently “servicing” my bike and two for the grandkids and was going to use 3in1 so I think I will buy some dry wax. Although I have the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection I think applying that to the bikes might be a task too far.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Dry wax needs extremely clean chains to work right. Best bet is to soak in some turps/white spirit etc. And scrub clea after. Putting dry wax on a greased/oiled chain is pointless.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Finished granddaughter bike and started on grandsons bike. It’s never been able to hold pressure in its rear tyre since he delivered it here 12 months ago. So I thought I had better repair the puncture. Could not see any point of penetration in the tyres outer. So had no option but to remove rear wheel and extra the inner tube. Totally surprised at what I found. A long split in the tube. Clearly non repairable. Two thoughts either it had been used or walked with under inflated tyre or it had been pressurised above its 80 psi max pressure. Could also have been a defect in the tube.. Tend to favour the latter option.

So a twenty minute puncture repair then servicing the bike now has a much extended timeframe that wasn’t discussed with Mrs OC at Plan of the Day meeting. To add insult to injury the cars TPMS is showing Amber warning. But that can wait until tomorrow 🙁

IMG_3122.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can remember when bikes were simple and having 3 speed was the main thing separating you from the others.

Our grandson's bike which he imported from South Africa where he used it for triathlons etc is so complicated you need a degree in engineering just to look at it! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can remember when bikes were simple and having 3 speed was the main thing separating you from the others.

Our grandson's bike which he imported from South Africa where he used it for triathlons etc is so complicated you need a degree in engineering just to look at it! :ROFLMAO:
My Dad bought me a BSA Gold Crest bike but oh the shame he had specified it with a four speed Sturmey Archer hub gear when all my buddies had derailleur gears. Dad was himself a keen cyclist but didn’t rate Benelux or Campagnolo on account of maintenance.

But once I got used to it I had no problem keeping up with the others in our school local history cycle group when we went on rides sometimes up to 50 -60 miles visiting historic sites and old churches. And it was maintenance free too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts