open golf ?

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi could any one give me a bit of advice on route choice ,,i am taking my caravan up to the open golf at troon i will be travelling up the m6 from southport ,and am not sure what route to take ie> after Carlisle through Dumfries ,,or there is a road from Douglas to ayr ,,or stick to motorways through Glasgow ,,any body done this with van ,,thanks ,,,rob

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rob,

It is a reeaalllyy long route to stick to the motorways... if this was your desired option, it would be M6 North > M74 North (take the new route sticking to the south of the city) then M77 South.... I would not recommend this unless you were completely 110% against "A" roads.

We travel with the van regularly in Southern Scotland, and the A75 to Dumfries, then A76 to Ayr will be absolutely fine - it is a good road, with some long straights to let any queues past.
This will be your direct route, and aside from a long climb at Cumnock, is pretty uneventful.

The scenic route would be round the coast on the A75, but again, no need to add all these miles unless you really wanted to. The roads are fine, but as you get round to Stranraer you do get a large volume of artics heading to and from the Ports.

Hope this helps....

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi thanks i will take the road you suggested i want to get there as fast as poss ,,as i will be working up there for two weeks ,,not bothered about the views ,,thanks again ,, :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts