Our 1st outing!

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to every-body who replied to my post "1st outing"!

Well my 1st trip didn't go to well!

We got to the site were we visited in our car a fortnight ago, to reserve a pitch & was told that the 1st field was booked up, (with hook up)But the 2nd field would be open & they didn't reserve pitches on the 2nd field (1st come 1st severed) Fair enough!

I booked Friday afternoon off work to arrive Friday early evening,

We arrived at 18.30 to find all the hook up pitches on the 2nd field had been reserved??????

But they could put us up with hook up,which we agreed to not to waste our weekend?

We was told to go to the QUITE corner,& set up our van,

I was pleased to find out that every thing worked in our van & its warm & dry!

Come 21.00 the site was full & we had a pleasant night,

Saturday morning we woke up to find a tent pitched 6ft from our door & a car parked in front of our van & the field was completely full to the brim!

Music was blearing out all day & once some turned their radio down someone else turned theirs up! This went on until gone midnight & the main culprits had young children with them!

If you asked them to turn the radio down they would, but soon as you got back to your van it was cranked up again!

I complained to the site owner who said it was " a popular time of year & it does get a bit noisy"

We ended up packing up early & coming back home!

Please re-assure me that it will only get better from now on!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steven, I guess you will do what we all have had to do and that is learn from experience. This give you a sixth sense not only on specific sites but the type of site. I would be suspicious of a commercial site with non segregated pitches at bank holiday. If in doubt about a particular site ask in the forum, invariably somebody has been there. You can get contradictary advise, you only have to read the responses to Haven sites to realise that 'one mans meat is another mans poison' but you can at least form an opinion.

To assist us all in our choice of site where did you go?

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Steven, I guess you will do what we all have had to do and that is learn from experience. This give you a sixth sense not only on specific sites but the type of site. I would be suspicious of a commercial site with non segregated pitches at bank holiday. If in doubt about a particular site ask in the forum, invariably somebody has been there. You can get contradictary advise, you only have to read the responses to Haven sites to realise that 'one mans meat is another mans poison' but you can at least form an opinion.

To assist us all in our choice of site where did you go?
Llwyn Griffi, Barmouth, North Wales,

You right Ray, I should of smelled something fishy, Because all the other sites was booked up!

At least I know to book early on a decent site next time!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Ty Mawr in wales by any chance,W e had a great time only coz we spent it off site exploring wales, come night time you knew you wouldnt sleep as the club on site was kicking out and the noise went on until 3am !!The disposal points were DISGRACEFUL if not a health and safety issue, kids everywhere.... where they any trouble NO it was the bloody adults rata****d ,I also got a tent about TWO feet away from me where they sat drinking all sat night and singing sound of music songs !!This place has a policy of getting as many people on to site as they can cram in !!! WALES Fantastic !!! But wont go to a park-resort again.( god I sound a right old fuddy duddy !!) Steve as said stick to CC sites and you wont go wrong !!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to sound like a stuck record but I have to recommend the CC sites too. Usually of very good quality. We joined the C&CC too and after visiting only two of thier sites we are cancelling our membership- just not as organised or pleasant as CC sites.

Bank holidays and worse than usual, this weekend we too were subject to a site that had every pitch full by Friday afternoon (we have been in March and it was half empty) it was a CC affiliated site (Adults only) and we ended up in the middle of a tent party (strange for CC?) Anyway we moved down to the hardstanding while we could early on Fri afternoon and avoided the large BBQ tahy had on Fri, Sat and Sun night! It meant that we had to level the van twice on a very uneven site but at least we got our peacefull weekend!

Try next weekend I am sure that you will find it less busy!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience on your fist outing. I am a member of both the Caravan Club and the Camping & Caravanning Club (as I travell to certain areas where one or the other club has accommodation) and find these sites really peaceful as long as you stay away from the childrens' play area. The 10-7 rule applies and I have actually been on a C&CC site where the warden has threatened to dismantle a tend a throw the occupants off site if the rule was not adherred to (this ws timed at 10.45pm!). I haven't tried any CC or CL sites as yet - but seriously thinking about it. I have enquired of friends who have used these and been advised on which ones are the best. Hope your next outing goes better.

May 8, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your replies folks,

When we 1st bought our caravan the missus suggested we joined the CC,from read the magazine! (& I was being tight.....again!)

I would of gladly shelled out the yearly fee to ensure a good trip for the weekend!

Oh well, another "learning curve" for me ....again!

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steven

Have to agree about the CC sites. For a start your space is your space and pitches are generally of a good size. Also people who use these sites generally like what they offer i.e. reasonable sized pitches, a general standard of cleanliness, and usually a more peaceful site. Some have clubs but not many and they suit the people who want those. Join the Club, it is well worth it. I'm sure you will then have a better experience.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steven

Do not be put off camping by this experience

I use CL sites they are on the whole much quieter

The site that you were on is breaking the law which is very clear on sapeing van or tent tere must be a 20ft or 6mt gap for fire safety. They should be reproted to the local council in that area, this is very serious and they can loose their licence

Better luck next time

Regards

jim M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts