Outside pump works but just a trickle at the he tap.

Apr 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi folks, it was just to get a bit more info, I've got a 2006 sterling cruiach 490 and I seem to have no pressure at my taps or shower, it was working fine last night but this morning there was just a trickle from the taps and shower, the drum is full and I pulled the feed pipe off the pump and submerged it and the water is pumping and I had a look for the pressure regulator but I can't seem to find it, any help would be appreciated as I use the caravan for work and I'm in the middle of nowhere 🤣

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jim,

THe fat you seem to have lost delivery at all outlets points to wards a pump problem. Add to that you mention hearing a gargling sound when the taps are open, this sounds more like an air lock at the pump.

I assume you have a submersible pump, and although you have established it can deliver a reasonable flow of water at the pump, you might have created an air lock when you refilled the cold storage container.

I suggest you unplug the pump from the side of the caravan, and dangle the pump in the water. This will displace any air in the pump, and then reconnect to the caravan.

Apr 23, 2024
Visit site
Hello Jim,

THe fat you seem to have lost delivery at all outlets points to wards a pump problem. Add to that you mention hearing a gargling sound when the taps are open, this sounds more like an air lock at the pump.

I assume you have a submersible pump, and although you have established it can deliver a reasonable flow of water at the pump, you might have created an air lock when you refilled the cold storage container.

I suggest you unplug the pump from the side of the caravan, and dangle the pump in the water. This will displace any air in the pump, and then reconnect to the caravan.
Hi prof, I done that this morning and I did notice that there was a fair amount of pressure when I unplugged it, the pump was turned off before I done anything so I was wondering if it may be a return valve issue with it?.

Apr 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi prof, I done that this morning and I did notice that there was a fair amount of pressure when I unplugged it, the pump was turned off before I done anything so I was wondering if it may be a return valve issue with it?.
Sorry I should have said, the pressure was coming out of the caravan, not going in👍👍

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Do you have an in line filter under a bed or in a cupboard that needs replacing or removing?
or like prof says it could just be airlocked, when this happens to me just a gentle tap of the pump on the barrel side while submerged is usually enough to clear it

Apr 23, 2024
Visit site
Do you have an in line filter under a bed or in a cupboard that needs replacing or removing?
or like prof says it could just be airlocked, when this happens to me just a gentle tap of the pump on the barrel side while submerged is usually enough to clear it
Hi Izzy, I've checked everywhere and I can't see a filter unless there's a filter in one of the couplings, I also think it could be a non-return valve problem but I'm just trying to get a bit more info 👍👍

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
The filter I refer to would be fairly large and obvious and should be changed every couple of years.
I removed ours altogether when I had similar problems that you have (I don't think it had ever been changed)
Is it a whale pressurised system or a microswitch system?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure I am fully clear about what you have told us. Can we try to establish exactly what you have. does your water look anything like this
1713871930282.png

On the left is the pump which you drop into the water carrier, and on the right is a connector plug which connects the water and the 12v electrical connections to power the pump

1713872041781.png
Or is it just a without a pump on it that you drop into the water?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The filter I refer to would be fairly large and obvious and should be changed every couple of years.
I removed ours altogether when I had similar problems that you have (I don't think it had ever been changed)
Is it a whale pressurised system or a microswitch system?
Actually the filter should be changed at least once every 3 months and not years depending on use

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
At 20 quid plus a time, ours as many others was removed, bypassed and chucked in the bin.
We don't drink from the van taps anyway so pathogens are not a concern.
My manual says change every season but not more than 2 or it will just become a breeding ground for germs

Reactions: Bluetonic
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At 20 quid plus a time, ours as many others was removed, bypassed and chucked in the bin.
We don't drink from the van taps anyway so pathogens are not a concern.
My manual says change every season but not more than 2 or it will just become a breeding ground for germs
The proper filters should have activated carbon with a silver nitrate which kills bacteria.

If a filter didn't look clogged, it hasn't been doing what its supposed to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts