Over night stops in laybys LEGAL?

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
does any one know the legal postion with over night stops in laybys? we've on it a few times to break long journeys, i used to be a long distance coach driver so have a good memory for nice big laybys!

You see lorrys in them all the time but i'd heard it is in fact illegal.

Gareth

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I understand it is illegal to camp overnight in a `layby`, but I think it may be the definition of the `layby` which determines this.

For instance if you are in a HGV plod will move you on if there is no permanent `island` separating you from the roadway, but I will endeavour to find the particular legislation.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I do not pretend to know what the legal position is - only that we have often stopped in laybys for a few hours rest at night. Most times this has been in the car, as it feels a little safer. I think that, with the number of "travellers" setting up what is obviously more than temporary residence in many layby's and on grass verges, with all of their accompanying rubbish, a few hours rest taken by a respectable caravanning couple, would not be frowned upon. The exception of course being car parks and the like, where specific notices forbid it.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Technically, it is illegal to `camp` on land in the UK without the owners consent.

As your friendly local authority owns the land you will be in breach of this.

However, unless you are towing a twin-axle with a white Transit or similar, or parked under a "no camping" sign, you would be a bit unlucky to be moved on.

But I wouldn`t take the security risk.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys. I always choose laybys with an island to reduce noise and be safer if a vehicle left the road.

I agree about it just being a few hours to, we just pull up sleep, get up, quick breakfast and off. we don't set up water containers or anything.

I find its so much quicker than finding a site, checking in, pitching up then having to recouple etc [early] next morning to carry on our journey.

i suppose even if it is illegal if you don't draw attention to yourselves the fuzz have better things to do!

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Technically, it is illegal to `camp` on land in the UK without the owners consent.

As your friendly local authority owns the land you will be in breach of this.

However, unless you are towing a twin-axle with a white Transit or similar, or parked under a "no camping" sign, you would be a bit unlucky to be moved on.

But I wouldn`t take the security risk.
Yes i know what you mean about security risk, the outfit isn't worth much compared to some [1997 grand Voyager and a 1993 typhoon] but i worry that in an isolated layby we might be 'held-up' for our cash and the TV.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My understanding is that "camping in a layby" is an illegal trespass in England & Wales but not in Scotland due to differing laws. If you fail to move on when requested you'll also be guilty of obstruction.

Where local authorities have specific, advertised, by-laws which ban overnight sleeping in vehicles or parking overnight then a specific offence will have been committed.

On occasions, we've stopped in the early hours for a few hours sleep and then moved on after an early breakfast - without any problems other than traffic noise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts