Overnight for caravan near Portsmouth Dock

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........I have a ferry crossing to Dieppe booked for January 23rd for travel down to Andalusia with a caravan.
The recent introduction of a compulsory 48 hour C19 test at every border together with other tests and restrictions have made the trip to risky and onerous.
If any of the tests show positive you have to isolate in the country you are in which would be very problematic, especially if a positive result occurred just before the return ferry back to the UK.
I am going to cancel the 7 week trip and move the ferry booking to next September and hope for less restrictions.
DFDS claim to offer a free rebooking service :unsure:

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
We're still planning our trip to Santander on 22 Feb. Now we shall stay at the C&C Club Site at Chichester. It's 10 miles from the ferry terminal and is open now.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We stay at the CAMC Rookesbury site which is not far from the docks and fill the tank to the brim at the fuel station just down the road. Sure it costs more than filling up in France, but the first time we went over we decided to fill up in France. Unfortunately it seem that most of those coming off the ferry had the same idea, :D

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I must be getting senile! My post #13 says it's a £600 difference between sailing to Santander and going through France - it should be £60. Also, C&CC Chichester Site opens on 4 February. We'll be going there.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
We stay at the CAMC Rookesbury site which is not far from the docks and fill the tank to the brim at the fuel station just down the road. Sure it costs more than filling up in France, but the first time we went over we decided to fill up in France. Unfortunately it seem that most of those coming off the ferry had the same idea, :D
Hi-If you're going through Santander route, don't fill up in UK-run it down as far as you can. There are loads of filling stations on the road out of Santander towards the motorway and the fuel is far far cheaper than in the UK. In December it was €1.19 a litre for diesel
Mike

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi-If you're going through Santander route, don't fill up in UK-run it down as far as you can. There are loads of filling stations on the road out of Santander towards the motorway and the fuel is far far cheaper than in the UK. In December it was €1.19 a litre for diesel
Mike
We need to get to Zaragoza as soon as possible so do not want to stop anywhere except for short breaks to rest which is why we fill up n the UK, but that was back in 2018. May rethink when we go across next time.

I must be getting senile! My post #13 says it's a £600 difference between sailing to Santander and going through France - it should be £60. Also, C&CC Chichester Site opens on 4 February. We'll be going there.
We travelled from Spain via Milau, France in 2018 and the saving is a lot more than £60 using the tunnel or even the ferry to Caen. Now the difference will be even higher.

I think the next time we cross we will seriously consider using the tunnel as quite a difference in prices between the tunnel and using the Brittany ferry.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We need to get to Zaragoza as soon as possible so do not want to stop anywhere except for short breaks to rest which is why we fill up n the UK, but that was back in 2018. May rethink when we go across next time.

We travelled from Spain via Milau, France in 2018 and the saving is a lot more than £60 using the tunnel or even the ferry to Caen. Now the difference will be even higher.

I think the next time we cross we will seriously consider using the tunnel as quite a difference in prices between the tunnel and using the Brittany ferry.
I checked the other day and found the Tunnel and Brittany Ferries came out just about the same. This was 2 people, car and caravan, reserved seats on BF flexible ticket with the tunnel refundable ticket, same dates in June> and July<.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts