Overnight Stops on the Continent

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't understand all these requests for recommendations for sites for overnight stops. Just take the Caravan Club European site guide with you.

We drive until we feel ready to stop and then consult the guide. You never know what traffic you might encounter on the journey.

We have always found sites for the night even at peak holiday times and have never been tempted to use the Aires.

When you are on holiday you enjoy the journey and not feel under pressure to reach a certain site before you stop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more with David. We always have a Michelin guide in the car or caravan but the guides from the two clubs, the motoring organisations or the Alan Rogers Guide will always direct you to a campsite nearby. Even the worst muncicpal site I have stayed on (and it's only for one night, after all) has been far, far superior to a motorway picnic/service area, without even considering the safety aspect. OK it costs me a tenner but I am on holiday after all. Have found some lovely sites in this way and it's not unknown for us to stay for an extra day or two.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
15 Mar 2005 04:26 PM

I think people ask, on Forums like this, because they want a personal recommendation. It's always useful having a book, but for those of a nervous disposition, it helps to know that 'Fred' thinks that Camping Fabuloso is worth stopping at, but that Camping Fallapart just down the road is worth giving a miss. That's why people ask - reassurance that they won't end up somewhere scary.

This is where I should have posted my reply - sorry glitches with new 'fancy' forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can uderstand people requesting recommendations for sites that they intend to stay on for a few nights, but not for overnight stops when they will only be there for a short time. If they took the Caravan Club European sites guide with them it gives members comments. Here are some examples of comments:

Good short stay

Sanitary facilities possibly scuffy; mosquitoes.

Good clean facilities; problem with mosquitoes.

Excellent long stay.

What more information do you require for an overnight stop?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts