Overweight caravaners.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After years of caravaning i have noticed that alot of people on camping sites are becoming very large.The family next to us last weekend were so over weight their teenage kids larger than i, but every night sat eating one burger after the other, cans of beer lost count,ok have a good time but a how much time left im thinking.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Matthew,I don't know how long you have had a caravan but you perhaps missed the article in a well known caravan magazine where it went into in great detail on the subject of weight.It went on to examine the growing trend amongst manufacturers to build heavier and heavier caravans that of course needed bigger tow vehicles.This I am sure you will have noticed led to an increase in the use of 4x4 vehicles and all the bad press associated with them.The point is that a large University undertook research and proved that you could tow a heavy van with a light tow car so long as the weight of the passengers added ballast which kept the car weight up and therefore maintained stability,it is for this reason that the more observant (yourself obviously included) will have noticed caravan families are eating more in order to increase body mass to improve stability. :0)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
If I remember correctly it said it was a matter of personal choice.On the roof creates drag and so uses more fuel,but you have the advantage you can't hear her up there,whereas in the boot you may still have a degree of 'backseat'driving.My preference has always been the roof as she is a bit of a drag anyway! hehehehe

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
If I remember correctly it said it was a matter of personal choice.On the roof creates drag and so uses more fuel,but you have the advantage you can't hear her up there,whereas in the boot you may still have a degree of 'backseat'driving.My preference has always been the roof as she is a bit of a drag anyway! hehehehe
This is getting weird plotter, re overweightpeople.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Robert,the point was actually to do with overweight people, and the explanation went onto why this is an increasing issue amongst the caravanning fraternity.It seems that some folk believed erroniously that these people were eating 'burger after burger' for their own gratification but it was of course all in the interests of improved safety,something I believe we should all take to our hearts.I for one have spent much time following the findings of the research undertaken on our behalf and can vouch for its effectiveness.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
That is the only advantage of using the roof as the weight becomes nose weight neutral,whereas in the boot runs the risk of tail and nose down,which is not good.I have in my garage one of those old 'Windslammers' that fit on the roof to create a smoother flow of air over the car.It occurs to me that with the wife on the roof and wndslammer fitted the effect of drag would be reduced and fuel economy restored.I live fairly close to the Motor Industry Research Association test centre at Nuneaton so I am considering taking my outfit down their to try in their windtunnel.Brian(StAlbans)I am not sure if Robert if supportive of this radical approach to improving stability :eek:)

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Robert,the point was actually to do with overweight people, and the explanation went onto why this is an increasing issue amongst the caravanning fraternity.It seems that some folk believed erroniously that these people were eating 'burger after burger' for their own gratification but it was of course all in the interests of improved safety,something I believe we should all take to our hearts.I for one have spent much time following the findings of the research undertaken on our behalf and can vouch for its effectiveness.
As a 75 klg person i will pass on this subject.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi matthew and the plotter

regards the size of people caravaning,can either of you 2 explain to me why at 13stone 7 i cannot comfortly use a family sized toilet in a caravan ,ie a 6berth super storm,i practicaly have to dislocate my arm just to get to the toilet paper ,god knows what a 15stone plus person hasa to go through.

jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi matthew and the plotter

regards the size of people caravaning,can either of you 2 explain to me why at 13stone 7 i cannot comfortly use a family sized toilet in a caravan ,ie a 6berth super storm,i practicaly have to dislocate my arm just to get to the toilet paper ,god knows what a 15stone plus person hasa to go through.

jim
In such a case constipation would be a boon Col

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi All, My hubby weighing in approx.17stone, uses our Lunar Clubman toilet ok, don't ask me how he manages, because I do not know, all I know it has to empty it!!!, Liz,

P.S He uses the shower block, for his showers though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't understand this discussion as to whether the wife should be in the car. on the roof or in the boot - if it is such a problem to decide I would have thought the obvious was to leave her at home and go away without her - far less nagging and you could come and go as you wish, eat what you like and get up/go to bed when you so desire. Problem solved.

Now as for the other point regarding the size of individual in respect to toilet size surely this is something which has to be taken into consideration when purchasing a caravan. I being a mere 12.5 stone in weight have no problems regarding car or little room within the tin box however it has always been high on the list of inspection prior to any eventual purchase. Alternatively looking at another topic on the forum, there were no problems years ago regarding shower and inboard toilet facilities. Toilet tents are quite large and well ventillated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Right Liz for the more portly frame why not revert to the shovel behind the hedge job. Apart from brambles and stingy nettles there will be all the room one so desires and think of the natural ventilation - lets get back to basics.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no specific topic relating to the Boy Scouts or Girl Guides so which topic heading would you like me to post under. I thought I was trying to be helpful but if this is how I am going to be treated I will revert to my miserable old self again just like when you accused me of being grumpy to of all people Lord B.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Liz - I have a toilet tent. What's the problem? We decided to buy a caravan without a toilet, so we have a small lav and tent in case we need them - which is about once every 2 years. We don't like cooking, eating sleeping and toileting within the same 20 cubic metre space - it's just not nice, even if solids are banned.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Liz, I've got a DOUBLE toilet tent! As our van is a one-off classic, I like to think that I look after it better than I would a modern one, therefore, because of possible damp, we don't use the on-board shower.Hence the double size toilet tent, which we use for showering on CLs.Come on over to GoC, and I'll show you how it works! Btw, I know of a man who is around 30stone, and copes with his on-board toilet!

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
I notice that on Forum thread will start off with a particular item and change entirely to another no problem as the Greeks say, so as we are on toilets now thought i would give mine. We were in Crete and whilst out in the car my brother-law was desperate to use a loo, problem was we were well up in the hills miles from anywhere, so having seen one of those shepherd stone huts he went round the back and was just about halfway through and this lady sprung out of nowhere(shepperdess?)and gave him a right old dressing down . Well it gave us a laugh.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Morning all another nice day I see,

I personally have not a problem with toilet tents after all we all know what they look like, must admit I have never seen a double one on my travels, nevertheless, it just makes me laugh,whenever we have gone away and someone erects their toilet tent, not sure whether they are all made the same, but the ones I've seen have about 2inch gap at the bottom, so on walking past all you can see is a pair of feet.

Not sure how this topic got onto toilets, but at least it's taken your mind of food and beer.

Regards Liz

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Liz indirectly you are not 100% correct as the more food and beer consumed automatically relates to the more usage of a toilet. You can't have one without the other. Regarding the subjects of toilet the topic came up as a result of Jim passing comment on the size of his physique in relation to the size of the bathroom/toilet facilities in his van. Perhaps 9:00am was a bit too early for you to think clearly so please do not take this as a correction of your posting but as a follow up.hehehehe

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Good morning Colin, I see from your response you had a good nights sleep and you have come bounching back.

P.S my offer still stands regarding the 8man tent swap for your fixed bed, I don't mind doing a bit of climbing over now and again, better than having to make the bed everytime and still having to climb. hehehe Liz

TRENDING THREADS