Oxford GT 93? How to turn Gas on

Sep 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi, new to caravaning and wondered if someone could help and tell me how to turn the gas on lol.
I have done it from the bottle and made sure the shut off valves inside are open but nothing working. Am I missing something? Thank you

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forum.
I'm not familiar with the make and model of your caravan but if everything is connected properly and there is lpg in the bottle, check to see if the gas vent on the side of the caravan has a removable cover which would prevent the gas system from working if still in place. If the gas cooker has a glass lid, this has to be in the upright position away from the burners otherwise the cut off operates.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There is also a small shut of valve near to the gas bottle regulator, make sure that is turned on. This is so that you do not loose all the gas in the system when you change gas bottles over.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
There is also a small shut of valve near to the gas bottle regulator, make sure that is turned on. This is so that you do not loose all the gas in the system when you change gas bottles over.

There is a yellow handled valve just below the regulator but this should be left ON all the time.
It is only there to allow pressure testing of the system, it is NOT meant to be used for any other purpose.
This is assuming that you have a bulkhead mounted regulator, if a direct cylinder mounted regulator this valve is not present.

You will not lose gas from the system when changing cylinders as there is a non return valve built into the pigtail with a bulkhead mounted regulator and the regulator itself will not allow gas to backflow, with a direct cylinder mounted regulator the regulator itself has a non return valve and will not allow gas to backflow out of the pipework.

With the cooker, fridge and space heater the control knobs MUST be pressed in and held in whilst the heat from the flame energises the thermocouple.

With the water heater it will just shut down after a short time until gas is present.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Damian, Thank you for the clarification about the Pigtail and the regulator having a non return valve.
In my Coachman 2013 owners hand book, on page 34 it states to turn off the service valve, when changing gas bottles. I belived that yellow valve was the service valve.
In the photo the last but one paragraph in the dark block refers to it.

20190905-230658.jpg

Or do coachman mean the gas bottle valve.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I remember someone last year had a problem with A rubber gas pigtail, not allowing gas through, changed the pigtail and all was good again.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The service valve referred to by Coachman is the main valve on the cylinder.
You don't want cylinder pressure gas escaping anywhere near you when changing a pigtail.

There should be a sticker in the gas locker adjacent to the regulator with an arrow pointing towards the yellow handled valve which states "For Test Purposes ONLY"

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
As the caravan the OP is talking about is a 1993 Abbey Oxford GT(?) it would have the gas regulator on the gas bottle rather than being a bulkhead mounted one, unless a bulkhead one has been retro-fitted.

If there’s no gas getting into the caravan, perhaps the OP might try a different regulator, especially if the regulator might be of the same vintage as the caravan? The water system at that age would be the Carver Cascade, so nothing to remove on the outside.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a later thought, with the van being that old and using a single stage regulator it may be that the pipework is blocked with residue.

I would suggest getting a mobile engineer to look at it for you as it may involve dismantling various parts of the gas lines to cure.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
the Oxford is an older Abbey model and unless someone has fitted a yellow valve at a later date it will not have one.
I would agree with Damian the problem is probably a blockage, although it could be a faulty or blocked regulator and as these are cheap and easy to get I would try replacing this first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts